help! contract question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobesurgeon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I matched categorical surgical residency position but the contract did specify I'm in categorical tract. Did your contract address it clearly, say, categorical PGY-1? I'm worried they change me to prelim position. Will the contract specify prelim PGY-1 for prelim guys?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

All contracts whether categorical or preliminary are for one year at a time. If you filled in the right number on the NBME site when you submitted your rank list, then you are in a categorical position. The program can't "switch" you to a prelim.

Do be aware that categoricals can have their contracts not renewed if you do not perform well clinically. You are going to be evaluated and may not be renewed if your evals are not good. They will let you know in Feb is this is the case.

I still have my residency and fellowship contracts and they do not specify categorical/prelim/fellow. As njbmd notes, contracts are for 1 year only and they are likely identical for categorical/prelims by PGY (ie, as only the salary would differ between the years of residency).

Members don't see this ad :)
To throw a wrench in this story... my first contract out of medical school did say/use adjective "preliminary".... I can not speak to if the categoricals said "categorical" or just resident. I would defer to folks like WS.

JAD