Help! could everybody respond? thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quad32

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys im struggling...
I'm in my junior year at the university of oklahoma...
I have been really interested in optometry mostly for a little while and ive shadowed a little and such and it seems as though it is something i would really like to do, but i am so indecisive.
I have switched around majors, debating between Zoology, Finance, and Psychology, either way just taking the credits necessary for optometry school and then in the process of figuring out which major to decide on.
My grades arent stellar (3.2 overall average) which really really makes me nervous.

Heres where i need your help!
What are my chances of getting in? I have been really involved in leadership positions with my fraternity (IM Chair and Vice President), and a whole bunch of other things, im just so nervous to put all my cookies into 1 jar and not get in!
also, what do you think i should major in?

thank you guys so much, any help would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades are decent and can be brought up more over the next few semesters. If you do well on the OATs you should have a good shot at getting accepted somewhere. However, the fact that you're so indecisive may hurt you. You have to really show that you are sure about optometry and not going to change your mind if they accept you. As for your major, it doesn't really matter. Just do well in it.

Let us clear up a few things first as your original message is rather cryptic and indecisive (it shows). How long have you been interested in optometry and why? Exactly how much time have you spent shadowing?

A 3.2 GPA is good enough to get into most optometry schools, although much will hinge on how you do on the OAT. Regarding your decision of major...it really doesn't matter. Either way, you have to complete your pre-requisites. I would chose the major that you enjoy the most and will do the best in. Maybe the problem is that you enjoy these three fields equally? In the end, whichever major you choose is irrelevant.

What is your science GPA like? How about your grades in the optometry pre-requisites? The leadership experience will be a plus, definitely. It seems that you are as indecisive about taking the plunge into a definitive career path as you are in deciding your major. I might be wrong, but that's the feeling I get.

With that said your grades are about average for many schools, your major does not really matter as long as your pre-reqs are finished, but it is tough to say what your chances really are when several things are missing. I'd need to know more before giving my full opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
my science gpa is right around 3.0-3.3...
i am about to take physics and organic, and i should be able to pull both my science and my overall gpa to a solid 3.3 by the summer.

the reason i am indecesive is because im nervous about getting into a school! it would really suck if i busted my ass for the next 2 years and got rejected. I am already leaning towards optometry, but i am about to go full force and give it my best shot because it is something i feel i really want to do.

As to why i want to do it... First off, i want to be able to help people in the local community. Being able to work for myself, low stress, interaction with patients, the 'high status'/respect as a doctor, and of course the solid and stead pay are all very appealing. I want to help others in the community and once i get more established to be able to have clinics and help those in need.

I also enjoy business but didn't enjoy accounting in school. if i am operating my own practice, i think it would be best for me to end up with a business degree and take all the pre-req's.

I am hoping to have what i need out of the way for optometry school by next year and apply and have a decent OAT score. If i dont get in the first year, i will just finish up my degree and work on improving the OAT while doing whatever it takes to get into school...

hope this clarified some of you, and thank you so much for your opinions, it helps more than you think!! take care.

oh yeah to answer your question, i have been interested in optometry for about a year now, researching schools and the profession quite a bit. I have only shadowed twice, 8 hours total, but plan on doing a few more during the break.

my granddad is a dentist and was pushing me for that, but i feel as though optometry is a better fit.

also another question: why do all the averages for optometry school say anywhere from 3.4-3.7 when i hear of so many people getting accepted with as low as a 3.0? that is reassuring for me at least, but seems its misleading! I know they are the averages, but i hear of quite a few lower gpa's and oat scores getting accepted!

The reasons you listed were many of the same ones I had when deciding to pursue Optometry a few years ago. I think optometry is a wonderful field to get into. I have never met an optometrist who wishes he would have gone another route. They enjoy it as much as you can enjoy a job! Lol...

The majority of the schools are between 3.3 and 3.6 with the exception of UAB above 3.6 and NOVA and PR below 3.3. Plenty of people get in below that because there are many people who get 4.0 or near. I wouldn't worry so much about the average GPA as other things. If you can get that science and overall GPA up to around 3.3 (or even 3.4 or 3.5...you know you can do it, aim high!) you would only be doing yourself a favor. Increase it as much as you can. The upward trend in grades will look promising to any acceptance committee.

I think it is a bonus that you seem to exhibit a some foresight as well. If you want to have your own practice it is imperative to have some sort of business background, or at least recognize that an understanding of business is an important aspect of owning a practice. As for an accountant...you can always hire someone to do that! Haha

My advice to you is very similar to what you have already written. Increasing your GPA will not only help you prepare for the OAT (since you stated you are taking Orgo and Physics soon) but will make your application look that much more appealing when it comes time to apply. I would aim for TS and AA averages of at least 330, if not higher, and if you do that and get some good letters I believe your chances would be very good. You might not be able to get into every school (conservatively assuming a 3.3 and averages of 330) but I think you could get into several if you continue to work hard.

It is apparent that you have put a lot of thought into this and are sincere in your ambitions to become and OD. I wish you the best of luck. If you need any more advice don't hesitate to ask. You seem to be well on your way!