Help deciding between Regis and Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTSkier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was interested in giving their input on what school I should attend- Regis University or University of Utah. Both have great academic reputations and because I'm out of state financially they are almost identical. I have made pros and cons lists but still haven't come to a final decision. At this point I would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do.

Members don't see this ad.

I think there is less traffic to the mountains out of salt lake than out of denver :) And Utah gets some rad snow. . .

Utah is definitely closer to more ski resorts than Regis, if that's what you are into. I would love to go to Utah, but didn't make it (for the 2nd year in a row). :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know where you currently live or what your religious affiliations are, nor do I know exactly where the University of Utah is within the state of Utah... BUT, I have a friend who is from SC and is currently teaching at Utah State. She and her husband feel like huge outsiders since many people (like 90% at least) are Mormon and the town is quite conservative. So much so that it's really made their experience there really bad. I'm not trying to knock Utah, or religion, but all things being equal (both are good schools, similar tuition etc) I would make sure to consider cultural differences between the two areas.

I'm a first year at Utah right now, so I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have. Can't really compare the 2 schools...but we have a solid program. Our campus is close to everything (airport, food, malls, hiking, skiing, whatever). Snow in the valleys is not so bad and doesn't make the commute as crazy. And to comment on the religion issue, I can't say that I even notice it. The U is a public university and Salt Lake is quite diverse in comparison to some other parts of the state. Although the area in general is conservative...I don't think it should be a factor in whether or not you choose to attend.

Mormons are rad. :)

I can understand why someone may feel like an outsider, but SLC is quite diverse. You won't even notice that you are hanging out with a bunch of Mormons. We don't bite.

I don't know where you currently live or what your religious affiliations are, nor do I know exactly where the University of Utah is within the state of Utah... BUT, I have a friend who is from SC and is currently teaching at Utah State. She and her husband feel like huge outsiders since many people (like 90% at least) are Mormon and the town is quite conservative. So much so that it's really made their experience there really bad. I'm not trying to knock Utah, or religion, but all things being equal (both are good schools, similar tuition etc) I would make sure to consider cultural differences between the two areas.

Don't make up stats when you have no basis for them. I go to Utah State, its definitely not "90%" mormon.........probably a lot closer to 50%. And the religious affiliations of those living around you shouldn't factor into your decision of where to go to school. If you believe Utah is a better fit for you then go there, likewise with Regis.

I appreciate the input, but religion is not a deciding factor for me. I was wondering more about what people knew or thought about the different programs.

I currently go to Regis. You can PM me if you have any specific questions.