HELP-deciding on applying next year!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

before everyone leaves this forum:
I need advise:

okay, I am currently a 3rd year, and I decided late in the game to go into radiology, like the last half of 3rd year. The thing is, I sought of coasted through first and second year, my grades were average, 3rd year grades have been good to excellent, and my evaluations very nice. I had a 225 on step 1, I haven't done any research in med school, but have a published basic science research from undergrad. What do you think are my chances? and what can I do between now, and application period to improve my chances. I was thinking of taking step 2 early, like in 4 weeks, so hopefully a high step 2 would offset the step 1 score, the problem with that is I would be taking it without completing surgery or ob, is that a bad idea? The alternative is to wait till 4th year, but that means I won't be able to take it till october/november, so that won't help with applications.

help, what are my chances, any tips, should I not risk taking step 2 and just rely on step 1?

you can take step 2 any time between now and this time again next year. so just take it in july or august and try for an improvement.