Help Deciding- OSU vs Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evnof2080

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being an Ohio resident, OSU would be cheaper, but I like UM more based on mostly all other factors. Any input? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Being an Ohio resident, OSU would be cheaper, but I like UM more based on mostly all other factors. Any input? Thank you.

OSU has a much better football team. And Michigan is ghetto.

Members don't see this ad :)
PLEASE explain how Michigan is "ghetto." Probably the dumbest thing i've seen on SDN lately. :thumbdown:

I agree. Have you been to Ann Arbor??? It's definitely not ghetto. Michigan is a great school: top in research and strong in clinical. Like that you can customize your track (research, leadership, and something). However, OOS tuition is outrages and their passing rate is low which is odd since everyone gets into their specialty. I have 2 friends who go there and they said that they are happy. However, it's very cold in Michigan. Hopefully, I get accepted. :)

Does not compute. Haha.

I got into both and hands down I would say OSU. I personally wasn't impressed by Michigan.

I agree. Have you been to Ann Arbor??? It's definitely not ghetto. Michigan is a great school: top in research and strong in clinical. Like that you can customize your track (research, leadership, and something). However, OOS tuition is outrages and their passing rate is low which is odd since everyone gets into their specialty. I have 2 friends who go there and they said that they are happy. However, it's very cold in Michigan. Hopefully, I get accepted. :)

you mean they are strong in didactic? I don't believe they are "strong in clinical", even on the interview day, they advices us to start looking for family / friends to eventually bring down to the clinic when we start our clinical years.

I don't think Michigan has the best patient pool, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't strong in clinic. 4th year students do a lot of community outreach as well as working in the clinic at school. The students I have talked to say they feel very prepared to practice on their own.

I don't think Michigan has the best patient pool, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't strong in clinic. 4th year students do a lot of community outreach as well as working in the clinic at school. The students I have talked to say they feel very prepared to practice on their own.

A new dentist I have job-shadowed went to University of Michigan and graduated in 2008 and said she felt very UNPREPARED clinically. She said her first year of working in an office partnership was absolute HELL.

That said, I think Michigan is a great school for those who are looking to go into a speciality or whom are interested in research. But, if you want to be a general dentist, I feel as if Michigan may not be the best fit.

That's particularly why I'm *considering*declining my acceptance there.

Last edited:

these 2 statements are contradictive. You can't have a somewhat weak patient pool and a strong clinical years.

A new dentist I have job-shadowed went to University of Michigan and graduated in 2008 and said she felt very UNPREPARED clinically. She said her first year of working in an office partnership was absolute HELL.

That said, I think Michigan is a great school for those who are looking to go into a speciality or whom are interested in research. But, if you want to be a general dentist, I feel as if Michigan may not be the best fit.

That's particularly why I'm *considering*declining my acceptance there.

I dunno about that. I think specialty matching isn't dictated by the school, but so much by the individual's natural smarts and work ethic. However, you are right about the research, if you are interested in research, then yes, michigan should be your home....

The other thing to consider is the pod-casting. Michigan has that podcasting system, I think its wonderful, but I am also thinking that many dental schools nation wide are going to adapt a similar system VERY soon.

these 2 statements are contradictive. You can't have a somewhat weak patient pool and a strong clinical years.

I dunno about that. I think specialty matching isn't dictated by the school, but so much by the individual's natural smarts and work ethic. However, you are right about the research, if you are interested in research, then yes, michigan should be your home....

The other thing to consider is the pod-casting. Michigan has that podcasting system, I think its wonderful, but I am also thinking that many dental schools nation wide are going to adapt a similar system VERY soon.

You are probably right. I mistyped so to speak. The speciality aspect is what I've heard from others as to why they went to Michigan over other schools. But I completely agree with you - work ethic probably dictates placement more so than the school but who knows :)

You are probably right. I mistyped so to speak. The speciality aspect is what I've heard from others as to why they went to Michigan over other schools. But I completely agree with you - work ethic probably dictates placement more so than the school but who knows :)

and natural smarts :)
A person pushing a 140 IQ and studying day and night will out rank the average dental student almost every exam of the week. And im pretty sure, out of every dental class (with approx 100 students), about 10-15 guys are like that, and if they decide to turn up the heat and gunner-up, theyr gonna rank high almost always.

Most of this is complete bs. You can't judge a school by anecdotal evidence. If you want to know if the school will provide you with "clinic opportunities" which DOES equate to a "strong clinical school" (if one actually exists) then look at a schools curriculum. For example, many "clinical schools", you won't see the clinic until early or late in your second year. At Michigan, I had my white coat last summer... I have been up in the clinic for at least 4 hours a week. I also have lots of pre-clinic each week. Our D3s and D4s currently do 4 weeks of mandatory community clinic assignments. The director of this program will likely increase this in the coming years as there are already too many clinics and not enough help. You can't get closer to "private practice" than this in dental school.

Dental school is what you make it. If you want a "strong clinical school" then you are in for a rude awakening. Its all on you, if patients like you, I guarantee you will get plenty of experience, so that when you finish you are like the great Gordon Christensen has said, "barely not dangerous". No school will "prepare" you for private practice, you have to do that on your own. This is professional school, time to grow up and figure out that no one will make you anything... You have to decide that's what your gonna be and you go get it. Michigan is all about opportunities, they want you to be able to put yourself on a track that will help you to be where you want to be in 5-10 years. There's lots of BS that I hate about dental school (talking to my friends, its the same everywhere), but all in all, I'm proud to be a Wolverine.

Good Luck to you all...

Most of this is complete bs. You can't judge a school by anecdotal evidence. If you want to know if the school will provide you with "clinic opportunities" which DOES equate to a "strong clinical school" (if one actually exists) then look at a schools curriculum. For example, many "clinical schools", you won't see the clinic until early or late in your second year. At Michigan, I had my white coat last summer... I have been up in the clinic for at least 4 hours a week. I also have lots of pre-clinic each week. Our D3s and D4s currently do 4 weeks of mandatory community clinic assignments. The director of this program will likely increase this in the coming years as there are already too many clinics and not enough help. You can't get closer to "private practice" than this in dental school.

Dental school is what you make it. If you want a "strong clinical school" then you are in for a rude awakening. Its all on you, if patients like you, I guarantee you will get plenty of experience, so that when you finish you are like the great Gordon Christensen has said, "barely not dangerous". No school will "prepare" you for private practice, you have to do that on your own. This is professional school, time to grow up and figure out that no one will make you anything... You have to decide that's what your gonna be and you go get it. Michigan is all about opportunities, they want you to be able to put yourself on a track that will help you to be where you want to be in 5-10 years. There's lots of BS that I hate about dental school (talking to my friends, its the same everywhere), but all in all, I'm proud to be a Wolverine.

Good Luck to you all...

Teedoff, just curious did you get accepted to any other schools besides Michigan? If so, why did you choose Michigan originally? Has the experience been what you expected?

Thanks.

Good Luck to you all...
:thumbup:

I'm pretty set on attending Michigan, but either way if I decided to attend another school, this is exactly the sentiments I was looking for while in dental school.

Thanks a lot for your experience teedoff.

Toothbrite-

I chose Michigan because of cost. It was my cheapest option by about 60 thousand dollars. I also really liked Ann Arbor and I knew my family would be happy there. The fact that Michigan is always striving to be the best and it shows through countless applications (at least ones that matter to me) throughout the school is a nice perk too... :)

I think the best thing you can do is to pick the cheapest school available to you. Like I said, dental school is what you make it. All dental schools are ADEA accredited (or will be hopefully :) ) and if you choose to get the most out of it, you will. You'll be just fine, chose the cheapest school you can and you'll thank yourself later.

While you are right, you can't have a weak patient pool and strong clinic years, you must have missed what I wrote further. I was saying that even though I heard Michigan does not have the best patient pool, as fourth year students they go off campus and practice in under-served areas...therefore strengthening their skills even further. One graduate saying she felt extremely unprepared shouldn't make you think that no one is prepared after they graduate.