HELP! Demonized by Self-Doubt!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pavel0iverson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I'm a second year at the University of Delaware. I currently have a 3.1 GPA. Here's how I did in my science classes:

Bio I: C-
Bio 2: C
Chem 1: A-
Chem 2: B+
Orgo 1: B-
Intro Physics: A

If I rock the MCAT, do I have a shot at a US med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I'm a second year at the University of Delaware. I currently have a 3.1 GPA. Here's how I did in my science classes:

Bio I: C-
Bio 2: C
Chem 1: A-
Chem 2: B+
Orgo 1: B-
Intro Physics: A

If I rock the MCAT, do I have a shot at a US med school?
Do you have any extenuating circumstances?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll need to retake Bio 1, but yes, you'll have a chance at American med schools. You might have to go the DO route, but you can still be a doctor. You should also probably apply after your senior year to give yourself more time to bring that GPA up. Get all the A's you can from now on, and kick the MCAT's butt.

Even if you get a 40+ on the MCAT, if you don't demonstrate an ability to excel in biology courses, which is the primary area of study in medical school, why should an admissions committee take a chance of admitting you? If you are willing to work to have a chance at an admission, retake the bio classes and get As, take additional upper-level science classes and get As, and raise your overall GPA to at least 3.5. Consider that students accepted to allopathic (MD) schools have a mean GPA greater than 3.6.

I have ADD.
So, you have a good explanation, but it won't excuse you from the redemption process. Getting the problem under control and proving you can get great grades every semester will show adcomms you have what it takes to succeed in their curriculum.