Help determining proper schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newyorkblork

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm not too sure how to go about selecting schools that are in my range. I'm planning on applying this year.

GPA: 3.73 cumulative, 3.65ish science
MCAT: projected 30's? Taking it june 13, been averaging about 35 on my practice MCATs.

EC's (weak, any last-minute suggestions? :scared:):
7 months research in a museum science department
3 months volunteering and observing surgery in an outpatient ambulatory surgery recovery clinic
Habitat for Humanity 'Alternate Spring Break' in Fayetteville, N.C.
Writing, Climbing,Violin

I'm not sure how much it'll matter to my application, but I'm working on getting a volunteer position at an emergency room and getting EMT-B training, hopefully to become part of a volunteer ambulance corps this summer. I'm fairly sure I can pull off a good P.S., got some advice books and plan on spending long hours editing and re-editing until it's polished. Going to try spinning a love of writing and a respect for medicine together, a la Richard Selzer.

No extraordinary racial or financial aspects.

I'm thinking I'm going to be applying to just about any and all schools that are slightly below my number range, hoping to compensate for weak EC's. Suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated.

Also, as a side question, I've been seeing a lot about "Letters of Intent"? Where can I find more information on these?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.