Help - Determining Relative Acidity? (Orgo)

Started by PreMedSS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreMedSS

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I need some help for my organic chemistry exam on monday. Given in this picture are 4 organic compounds, and we're asked to list them in order from MOST acidic, to LEAST acidic. The correct answer is "3>4>1>2"

What I don't understand about this is why in the world is compound 1 more acidic than compound 2? I understand that Bromine may be more electronegative, but on the other hand Iodine is large based on the periodic table. Help please?

img00254201110221643.jpg

img00255201110221643.jpg
 
3 is a carboxylic acid and will be most acidic. Br is more electronegative than I, so it will pull more electron density than I; therefore, 1>2. Having the bromine closer to the acidic hydrogen will have more of an effect than when it's farther away. Hence, 4>1.

Put all that together and you get 3>4>1>2. Hope that helped.
 
3 is a carboxylic acid and will be most acidic. Br is more electronegative than I, so it will pull more electron density than I; therefore, 1>2. Having the bromine closer to the acidic hydrogen will have more of an effect than when it's farther away. Hence, 4>1.

Put all that together and you get 3>4>1>2. Hope that helped.

hey, i thought that despite bromine's electronegativity, the size of the Iodine would lead to it being more acidic because it would be able to help spread the negative charge over a larger region of space. According to Wade 7th Edition "Acidity increases down the column, as the size of the element increases."

That's what's got me so confused about it lol 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey, i thought that despite bromine's electronegativity, the size of the Iodine would lead to it being more acidic because it would be able to help spread the negative charge over a larger region of space. According to Wade 7th Edition "Acidity increases down the column, as the size of the element increases."

That's what's got me so confused about it lol 😕

I believe that is more applicable to the actual molecule that the acidic hydrogen is bonded to. Ex: HI vs. HBr. The size of I vs. Br is essentially irrelevant in your problem since they are two or three bonds apart. In cases like your problem, look at electronegativities.
 
I believe that is more applicable to the actual molecule that the acidic hydrogen is bonded to. Ex: HI vs. HBr. The size of I vs. Br is essentially irrelevant in your problem since they are two or three bonds apart. In cases like your problem, look at electronegativities.

okey dokey. thanks alot sir 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.