help - disaster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonyperson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heres the situation - I was asked to remediated my composite course because i messed up the midterm. i took the midterm earlier this year and passed. I had to retake the final - even though i already passed it. i was nearly finished when i decided to polish the teeth again to get out a last irregularity. This round of polishing flattened out the lingual cusps somewhat - maybe enough to consider it severe alteration to structure. I should have just stopped when i knew it was good enough.

So if they give me an F - i could get asked for dismissal i guess? I think its ridiculous because I have a 3.5 and all of hte damage was done by the polishing paste - which my bench instructor said would not wear away enamel but our sim teeth are softer.

If they do dismiss me and appeals wouldnt work - what other options would I have. Do i have a chance of going to any other school, maybe one of the others I got into originally?

Members don't see this ad.

I hate dentoform teeth! That would never happen in the mouth. If they fail you for that reason then I would challenge it because that's just not fair! However, if you did the same thing on boards you would fail, so I could see their justification. Sucks.

Heres the situation - I was asked to remediated my composite course because i messed up the midterm. i took the midterm earlier this year and passed. I had to retake the final - even though i already passed it. i was nearly finished when i decided to polish the teeth again to get out a last irregularity. This round of polishing flattened out the lingual cusps somewhat - maybe enough to consider it severe alteration to structure. I should have just stopped when i knew it was good enough.

So if they give me an F - i could get asked for dismissal i guess? I think its ridiculous because I have a 3.5 and all of hte damage was done by the polishing paste - which my bench instructor said would not wear away enamel but our sim teeth are softer.

If they do dismiss me and appeals wouldnt work - what other options would I have. Do i have a chance of going to any other school, maybe one of the others I got into originally?
It's unlikely they will dismiss you for a failed competency, followed by a failed remediation. I don't know your school's policies, but I imagine they will give you a strike 3. That's the whole point of pre-clinic, students will fail and then learn from their mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a conversation you should be having with your school, like tomorrow. The school is not your enemy. They will do everything they can to help you get through it. Multiple remediation attempts to repeating the year over again. They're not going to kick you out so fast (you are a source of revenue for the school). You have to try very VERY hard in order to get kicked out of school. Talk to the course director first to see if you can remediate again. If that doesn't work, then talk with the administration and see what your options are from here.

This is a conversation you should be having with your school, like tomorrow. The school is not your enemy. They will do everything they can to help you get through it. Multiple remediation attempts to repeating the year over again. They're not going to kick you out so fast (you are a source of revenue for the school). You have to try very VERY hard in order to get kicked out of school. Talk to the course director first to see if you can remediate again. If that doesn't work, then talk with the administration and see what your options are from here.
well said

i passed the remediation thre wasnt that much damage i guess i got a good score on it