Help Finding Summer Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

hrtbt

I'm having a difficult time finding an academic summer opportunity. I've sought the help of my advisor, one of my deans, and the IRB coordinator... but am yet to receive an opportunity.

We were told any student could receive a stipend for research at our home institution. I trusted them and didn't seek anything elsewhere... Turns out that wasn't entirely true.

Now I'm stuck with a bunch opportunities that have rapidly approaching deadlines at other places that require letters of recommendation. I legitimately have no one I can get a recent letter from... Let alone a letter in less than 2-3 weeks.

Any suggestions? Perhaps something that doesn't require a LOR?

My tuition and fees are expensive. I can't work for free this summer. I'm way past that stage of life - I have bills to pay.

BTW: I'm eligible for some of the URM summer research programs ... Only problem is the LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

You should be talking to upperclassmen at your school to figure out what others have done. You'll likely be able to apply for some funding, but think 2-5k. The benefit here is getting a publication, not getting paid.

Have you heard of extra-institutional funding that would support research at my home institution?

My home institution only has federal work study available. That will affect my financial aid package for the next AY, so I can't really do that. The stipends here are only available for students that are doing research towards a joint degree.

While I understand publications are important, I have to be able to cover my basic living expenses over the summer.

Have you heard of extra-institutional funding that would support research at my home institution?

My home institution only has federal work study available. That will affect my financial aid package for the next AY, so I can't really do that. The stipends here are only available for students that are doing research towards a joint degree.

While I understand publications are important, I have to be able to cover my basic living expenses over the summer.

It's highly unlikely that you'll find a research situation that pays well and gives you a meaningful publication in time for ERAS. It'll be one or the other - do something that pays something (probably less than minimum wage) and be a lower author on a project that the PI probably has no super-time crunch to publish or take charge of a project, be a first author, and get it done before ERAS. While I understand we're all in debt up to our eyeballs, getting a pub may get you that much better of a residency program and be the deciding factor between noncompetitive field vs competitive field.