HELP!! Freshman Major Declaration

BrothaX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
xx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you need us to pick out what you wear the first day of class too?

I think you'll be fine as just a biology major (you can always do a BA if you'd like to take more of the fun/easy classes). Don't do anything that will make you graduate in 5 years, or 4 years only if you take 18+ credit hours a semester.

Buy the rosseta stone for arabic then. They are very well done and will teach you probably more than taking it as a class, plus no penalty for failure.

I'm sure bucknell is ok. Schools seem to only care if you come from an Ivy, famous private, or the ug attached to that particular med school.

So here is my dilemma. Biology seems too boring and generic, and i feel like i would need to double major in something like environmental science to be happy. Im also not sure if i am going to be interested in the heavy chemistry emphasis in cell bio/biochem. Bio chem is apparently really hard on campus and a 3.6 is considered a really high GPA. IDK what medical schools would think of that. But then again, my dad keeps saying that biochem/cell bio will make me stand out cause not as many people do it and it gives me more options. So i just really want some advice from people here on this forum.

Also and big down side is that biochem/cell bio will not let me take any Arabic classes, and that was always a dream of mine in college; i wanted to study abroad in an arabic speaking country (which is hard/impossible biochem/cell bio).

Thanks Guys!

P.s. just on a side note, what is Bucknell's reputation with medical schools? Is it highly regarded or is it just "ehh" and would I need to do something special to get noticed.

1) Your father is wrong and you are right. Medical schools want you to have a high GPA and they are going to look at a 3.6 in biochem and biology pretty much exactly the same, so go for the easier major. Don't fault your father for stearing you wrong, this process goes against all common sense.

2) Actually you don't need to major in anything biology related at all. If your dream is to learn Arabic just take the premedical prereqs and major in Arabic. You could spend a year somewhere fun like Morocco, and medical schools might like the diversity. It would make you more interesting. Also, I'm betting Arabic is more employable than a bio major if this doesn't work out.

3) Don't worry about your school's reputation. What's going to get you noticed, regardless of where you go, is your cumulative GPA, your grades in the premedical prerequisites, and your MCAT. Do well in those and show a minimum of well roundedness and you don't need a lot of extra specialness to get in. For what its worth the determinants of your school's reputation with medical schools are probably pretty much the same as the determinants of reputation anywhere: increasing with age, wealth,and the average SAT score of its matriculants anddecreasing with distance from the main campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Abed.... Is that you? (Community reference)

However, my dad is pressuring me to do Cell Bio/Biochemistry.

Don't switch your major just because someone else thinks you should. This is your interest, not theirs. I came in to college as chem major, then switched to chemical engineering at the suggestion of my dad (an engineer). I would have been miserable if I kept up with that! Do whatever you're interested in, honestly med schools don't care about your major as long as you get all the pre-reqs done. You can major in history, music, poli sci, anything. Most people major in bio/biochem, so your major won't be a talking point (not that it's a bad thing, just make sure you have good talking points in your ECs)

Also and big down side is that biochem/cell bio will not let me take any Arabic classes, and that was always a dream of mine in college; i wanted to study abroad in an arabic speaking country (which is hard/impossible biochem/cell bio).

Have you considered studying abroad over the summer? I studied abroad in the summer between my sophomore and junior year. It was only 2 months instead of the 3 I would have gotten with a semester, but it's still a great experience and med schools will love it.

Alright guys i need some advice...

So i will be attending Bucknell University (LA college in PA) in the fall as a freshman. I currently have my major declared as BS Biology. However, my dad is pressuring me to do Cell Bio/Biochemistry. I honestly dont know which interests me more, but i am certain of the fact that i want to go to a top-tier medical school.

So here is my dilemma. Biology seems too boring and generic, and i feel like i would need to double major in something like environmental science to be happy. Im also not sure if i am going to be interested in the heavy chemistry emphasis in cell bio/biochem. Bio chem is apparently really hard on campus and a 3.6 is considered a really high GPA. IDK what medical schools would think of that. But then again, my dad keeps saying that biochem/cell bio will make me stand out cause not as many people do it and it gives me more options. So i just really want some advice from people here on this forum.

Thanks Guys!

P.s. just on a side note, what is Bucknell's reputation with medical schools? Is it highly regarded or is it just "ehh" and would I need to do something special to get noticed.

Biology isn't bad, but medical schools will like your application better if you majored in something harder such as Physics. Biochemistry is also really good and will benefit you on the MCAT. Medical schools know which majors are harder so don't go for the easy route. A 3.7 in Physics is more likely to get you in than a 3.7 in Business. Biochemistry is a great major and you WILL stand out. In this case your dad is correct. Also, bucknell is generally considered a good premedical school. Well respected, good choice.