Help from Non-trads who have actually been accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prncssbuttercup

Established Member -- Family Medicine Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
yes, I'm new here, I don't know which of you are in, or not... But, I'd like the opinions of people who are in, or are already through MD/DO school.

I am 34 (married, no kids, husband is fully supportive of any path I choose), I have a BS in Biomedical Science from 1999, overall/science GPA were ~2.75-2.8 but I have been taking upper-level science classes to improve the overall/science GPA, and my post-bacc GPA. By the end of Spring 2011 I will have a post-bacc GPA of ~3.85-3.9 for ~80 credits. I have been getting straight A's in the science classes I have been taking, and intend to continue doing so, per the advice of the admissions board at the med school in my state. These additional courses will raise my overall and science GPA's to about 3.03 each (yes, not great I know). I am getting my EMT certificate, although in this job market, I will likely not find a job with it (there are 3 openings currently in the state of MN). I have 25+ years (combined) of medically-related volunteer work; National Ski Patrol for 17 years, 10 years for a racetrack picking up pieces of downed motorcycles and riders, as well as at my local food shelf (not medically related, but working with under-served populations). In addition, I work in Biotech (which I hate, love bio, hate QC work) which may/may not help. I have a DO, 3 MDs, and the director of the ER (who is an RN, but has been the director of the ER for 10 years) at a local hospital who are all willing to write me excellent LORs, in addition to my current profs. I have not taken the MCAT yet as I was told not to take it until I plan to apply, which will be next spring (Spr 11).

I plan to apply broadly to MN (home state) schools, DO schools, and anywhere that will take me... I am willing, as a last resort only, to do a post-bacc pre-med masters program, but again, only as a last resort.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions???

Members don't see this ad.

You need to figure out your cGPA using both allopathic and osteopathic methods (as they differ) once you are at the point where you have just one class in your "damage-control" left. Armed with that information (you can use an Excel spreadsheet), you would be able to figure out where you are in terms of uGPA and sGPA. Right now, speculation isn't generally useful as you need to know where your uGPA/sGPA are actually going to be not where you believe you want them to be. In short, everybody wants the highest uGPA but whether or not you are competitive depends on where your uGPA/sGPA actually land.

Your next job is to take and do well on the Medical College Admissions Test. Everyone believes they will do well on this test until they actually take it and find that most people will not score as well as they believe they will score. If you prepare solidly and have a strong knowledge base that you can apply to the types of questions that are asked on the MCAT, you will be moving in a good direction.

Additionally, taking the MCAT multiple times with mediocre scores is not going to help your application since your uGPA is likely going to end up on the lower side of matriculants of allopathic medical schools. You need to set your prep schedule for one take of the MCAT and a good score. You can go over to the MCAT forum and get some idea of what this will entail.

Volunteering and research will not offset poor academics and a poor MCAT, thus your focus needs to be and stay on doing the best job possible with your post bacc work. Since you have plenty of volunteer experience, you can minimize this aspectof your preparation and concentrate on what needs the most attention academically.

Your chances of success will largely depend on how high you can get your uGPA/sGPA (this is done fastest for osteopathic schools) and how well you are able to score on the MCAT. If you were set on allopathic schools (and I know that you are not stuck on allopathic), you may want to consider doing an SMP (Special Masters Program for credential enhancement). If you are able to continue replacing your previous low grades, you won't need an SMP for osteopathic medical schools.

Bottom line: You have quite a bit of "damage control" to complete but you look as if you are getting that done. Stay on course and don't burn out. Take the MCAT one time and be prepare to do very, very well. Most schools will take into consideration your later work and may weight that later work more heavlily but they won't do that if you have multiple mediocre MCAT scores or one poor MCAT score sitting with your application. Good luck and take your time.

The GPA I have calculated is based on the math assuming I keep getting the straight A's I have received 4 semesters in a row. The reason I put ~ by them is I don't have the excel sheet in front of me right now, it's off the top of my head, and I don't think you care if I have 78,79,80 credits, it's close to 80, gives a general impression. Also, I will have over 200 semester credits, so it doesn't move very fast. I have not based my GPA on AACOMAS only on AMCAS, so I don't know what it would work out to be for AACOMAS, but it would be a fair bit higher. As I have been basing things largely on the greater evil, that being the way AMCAS calculates GPA, I figure if I base it on that, it only goes up from there... I agree with you about the MCAT, and that was the plan... Additionally, the admissions board at UMN told me they weight the post-bacc higher, mainly because I have been out of school for so long (11years)...

This has been what I am eat/sleep/breathing. I literally can't stand my job, and thought of PA school, but decided it wasn't right for me. I have wanted to go to med school since I was 10 and was diagnosed with Grave's disease... I'm no dummy, I just really didn't work hard as an undergrad, it was easier to slack/do nothing and get a B instead of work and get an A...

More thoughts??

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds to me like you're doing the right things. Keep getting more A's. Maybe consider adding a hospital volunteer job (if you're aren't already doing it) and some shadowing.

I think you'll make a competitive DO candidate and have an outside shot at an instate MD program, assuming you do decently on the MCAT. And if you don't get in an SMP would be ideal for a candidate like you.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Great job on your post-bacc work :)

It is good if you are working with someone over at the U to get the scoop on what they want, this will also (hopefully) have your name easily recognizable by the committee there which will help in theory.

As someone else mentioned, adding some shadowing would be a good idea, if just to boost your clinical contact hours.

I believe that the U would be doable for you, Mayo may be a bit too much of a reach. If you are truly interested in FM/GP, your best shot would be the Duluth program. Particularly since you live outside of the suburbs you may be a better contender than most from IS (though I am from the Iron Range originally and my first time applying I didn't even get an interview there).

Make sure you put enough time aside to study for the MCAT and take it early enough so you will be on a timeline to submit your AMCAS as early as possible and be verified right away. This should help to maximize your chances. Also make sure to have multiple people read your personal statement.

Good luck! :D

FP/GP is the goal, if I were younger I'd do Endo, but... I'm not younger, and the idea of rural med appeals to me... I have property in N. MN where I would love to live and ride my dirtbike to work... I don't think I'll put that in my personal statement, but sometimes I wonder if things like that get noticed or trashed ;) Congrats on getting in for fall start, you will be starting with one of my coworkers if you're in the TC program... He's a great guy, and they're lucky to get him...

Oh, and yes, I plan to shadow the docs who are writing my letters...

I think you are doing the right things. Your post bac will probably be taken into a higher consideration because of your time off. At this point I think retaking u-grad courses would be counterproductive, so continue your A's and dont worry about the past.

I wouldn't start thinking about SMP programs just yet, I think you have a good shot at both MD/DO programs. Shadow those physicians, and nail the MCAT. I think one of your biggest concerns right now and the area you can improve the most is the MCAT. If you do great on the MCAT you could be very competitive, if you do poorly you can be quite non-competitive. Take it once and nail it.

My advice is to spend some time on your PS as well. Take the time to relax and be "real". I had major differences in terms of success between my two application cycles and the biggest change in my app was the PS. Dont be so formal in your writing that its dry, show who you are, use examples to communicate your passion. I would talk about your passion for rural primary care, and even your dream of riding your dirt bike to work :)

Adcoms are looking for something refreshing and real in stacks of formal puffed up personal statements. If you can communicate who you are, your passions, your dreams and goals in that PS its a great one. Especially as a non-trad. Also, if you can do it right, addressing your early blunders is a good way to show you have noticed and changed your ways.

Then apply as early as possible, many underestimate the positive effects of applying early. Also, apply broadly. Good luck!

Just my opinions from my experiences. Good Luck!

I am a humorous person, I don't take too many things very seriously, other than my goals. I am the kind of person that embraces life as a whole, but I realize we'll all die at the end regardless of how hard we/I try not to... How I would write that in my letter short of having "Now for something completely different" and other monty python lines (and others) which could easily be misinterpreted, it's hard to get that across.... Thankfully I have two MAs in English, a BA in mass comm/journalism, and my mom (who while she only has a BA in business, is a better writer than me), I am a very very dry, scientific writer, I do not write things people enjoy reading and thankfully I have them to take my info and spin it into something enjoyable!

I am a humorous person, I don't take too many things very seriously, other than my goals. I am the kind of person that embraces life as a whole, but I realize we'll all die at the end regardless of how hard we/I try not to... How I would write that in my letter short of having "Now for something completely different" and other monty python lines (and others) which could easily be misinterpreted, it's hard to get that across.... Thankfully I have two MAs in English, a BA in mass comm/journalism, and my mom (who while she only has a BA in business, is a better writer than me), I am a very very dry, scientific writer, I do not write things people enjoy reading and thankfully I have them to take my info and spin it into something enjoyable!

You do not want to try to be funny in your PS...either people won't get it or they will just be annoyed...just be sincere and cover why you need to do medicine (and why now) and you will be fine

FP/GP is the goal, if I were younger I'd do Endo, but... I'm not younger, and the idea of rural med appeals to me...

How old are you? You can always do IM, work a few years and then do your fellowship in Endo...

I am 34, and if I am lucky and do really well on my MCAT, I'd be graduating from med school at 40. I really have no plans to do an additional 3-4 years of fellowship, and I haven't decided between FP/GP or IM... I will do something that allows primary care, but I won't decide until I need to...

I am 34, and if I am lucky and do really well on my MCAT, I'd be graduating from med school at 40. I really have no plans to do an additional 3-4 years of fellowship, and I haven't decided between FP/GP or IM... I will do something that allows primary care, but I won't decide until I need to...

I hear you on the age thing. However, just a piece of advice, dont let your age determine your path. Allow yourself to keep an open mind, you might just fall in love with something and loving your job (quality of life) is more important than money.

Not saying you are doing that, just wanted to put it out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just don't really want to be 44 before I can actually start "working" in addition to this, I would really (really, really, really :love:) like to take advantage of the many loan forgiveness/repayment options that are available in HSA's for primary care... :D

I think you have a good shot at getting into an MD school in your state, especially if you keep up the straight A's in postbacc. But just to increase your options, I would recommend applying out of state as well, to private schools or state schools that are relatively friendly to OOS students. You are definitely most competitive in your home state (especially if you make it clear in your app that you want to stay there and go into rural primary care--they should LOVE that). But if you really want to be a doctor, it would be best to have a backup plan in case things don't work out in MN. If moving would be totally out of the question for you, then don't apply OOS, but with a low GPA you should apply very broadly to give yourself the best possible chance. (I know this from personal experience: I come from NY, but ended up at med school in VT, and my husband and kids are still in NY. It's a sacrifice but well worth it to me.)

There's one area where I differ from other posters: I would caution you NOT to rush into an SMP. They can be dangerous, because unless you get very high grades in them (above the class average), you are unlikely to get into med school, and doing badly in an SMP would probably destroy your chances of getting into med school--even DO school. On the other hand, you CAN get into allopathic and DO schools with GPA baggage, if you do well in postbacc and apply intelligently. And it's not a guarantee that you'd get high grades in an SMP, even if you're doing well in postbacc, because the most successful SMPs are based on first-year med school courses. These are very different from undergrad, and you might struggle in courses you expected to do well in.

I got into a good allopathic school with a problematic GPA, and did just fine in my first year. But in hindsight, I can tell that an SMP would have been very unwise for me, because I found anatomy very difficult and had to work very hard just to pass it. Since anatomy is a key course in most SMP's, I probably would have done badly and not gotten into med school at all. If the event that you don't get in the first time, I would recommend finding out what was weak in your app, fixing it and reapplying rather than an SMP. The one exception would be if your school of choice strongly recommends that you do one.

I just don't really want to be 44 before I can actually start "working" in addition to this, I would really (really, really, really :love:) like to take advantage of the many loan forgiveness/repayment options that are available in HSA's for primary care... :D

A resident can correct me, but aren't residents working doctors?

I know they don't get paid as much, but I'm not in this for the pay --- I'm in this for the white coat, or at least what the white coat represents - a healer.

From one of my good friends who is a resident, she says, "yes and no" Yes she heals and is a care-giver, but no because she isn't yet board certified, yes she has a license, but until she is finished with her residency she is only board eligible, not certified, or that is how I understood it... And, I can't shadow her because she is only a resident...

Either way, I am not in it for the coin either, but to me, it has more to do with being able to have kids... I haven't had any yet, and am not going to even try to have them while in or before med school (I may be crazy, but not THAT crazy)... so, I'm looking at being a 40-yr old mom... woohoo, good thing my grandparents and great-grandparents lived into their 90s... :rolleyes:

From one of my good friends who is a resident, she says, "yes and no" Yes she heals and is a care-giver, but no because she isn't yet board certified, yes she has a license, but until she is finished with her residency she is only board eligible, not certified, or that is how I understood it... And, I can't shadow her because she is only a resident...

Either way, I am not in it for the coin either, but to me, it has more to do with being able to have kids... I haven't had any yet, and am not going to even try to have them while in or before med school (I may be crazy, but not THAT crazy)... so, I'm looking at being a 40-yr old mom... woohoo, good thing my grandparents and great-grandparents lived into their 90s... :rolleyes:

First of all, you are doing all of the right things- keep it up and keep it contact with the schools that interest you. You have a diversity of experience and maturity that medical schools are looking for in applicants. It is all about how you sell yourself.

Not that you want to add one more thing to your plate, but it is possible to do medical school with children- in fact I would almost argue that it is easier in some respects.

1) You figure out BEFORE going to medical school if you want to work outside of the home after having children. I know you will say "I have no desire to stay home!", but it is something you truly cannot say with 100% certainty until you have a child. One of my good friends who was EXTREMELY career oriented had her first child and didn't even go back to work after her maternity leave. Another friend left her job when she found out she was pregnant only to discover she was NOT happy staying at home, and looking for a job to give her a sense of fulfillment.

2) Yes, it requires time management and organization. But at the end of the day, I have an automatic destressor, which my single classmates do not have. When I am home, I am home. When I am at school, I am at school.

3) You don't have to worry about being pregnant and the delivery/leave during 3rd year rotations/intern year/practice. The reality is once you get past 2nd year, there are people and patients that depend on you, and you will feel compelled to go back to work earlier and not spend as much time with your child when they are younger. It's the same reason that while a hurricane/blizzard may be going on and everyone is warned to stay home, you will still see physicians come into the hospital- there is that expectation of the profession, right or wrong. We had 16 inches of snow here in one day this past winter, and the study rooms were full at school, despite the impassable roads and the fact that the entire University was shut down.

4) You don't know what your/your partner's fertility will be like in 8 years.

Just my two cents, as a mom of three, soon to be four, and a medical student (with one awesome husband). ;)

I do have an awesome husband, I actually consider myself lucky, now (vs the old crappy one). I know it can be done, but I don't know that I want to risk it... At any rate, you are right, I will say "I'm not staying home"... I honestly have never had any desire to be a "domestic engineer" or "household manager"... None of my grandmothers stayed home, nor did my mom (or stepmom)... I actually only know of my friends' moms who stayed home... and even that was limited to a couple...

I second everything Crelal said. (BTW, Crelal, howzitgoin'?) And although I obviously had my kids a while ago, I have heard from MANY, MANY women in medicine that if you're going to have children, the best time to do so is just before med school or during the preclinical years. (Nanon, one of last year's nontrads, had her second child only a couple of weeks before starting med school, and I have a classmate at UVM who did the exact same thing.)

In the preclinical years, you'll have at least some control over your time (exactly how much will depend on the schedule at your particular school), but during rotations and residency it will be ZERO. In fact, it seems that many women drop out of medicine, and many marriages break up, due to the insane stress of having children--or deciding not to have them--during the residency years. And if you wait until your training is over, it could be 10 years from now before you start a family, which may not be realistic depending on your age.

This "biological clock" issue is really hellish for women, but you have to face up to it when you're about to take on a career as intense as medicine. You and your husband need to sit down and figure out as best you can what you do and don't want in the years ahead.

Good luck with everything.

P.S. I, too, have an awesome husband, as well as awesome kids. Without them, there's no way I could be doing this.

Why don't you worry about getting into medical school first and then worry about your specialty?

Your essay and everything needs to focus on why you want to be a doctor, not what specialty you're going into. There is really no way for people to know what specialty they should choose until third year of medical school--and why would you want to commit before you're there anyway?

Do the best you can in school. Study hard for the MCAT. Apply broadly.
Just like in the real working world there are no magic routes to medical school. :)

Jackie,
There are only three things I have ever considered doing in medicine, FP/GP, endocrinology, or EM. I have little interest in the rest... basically the reason I am saying rural primary care is because I that's (at this point) what I want to do... Either way, it's not something I'm super concerned with... I am much more concerned with getting in...

Speaking of, I attended a UMN TC seminar on applying to med school, and they were very helpful. In addition, I was able to speak with the associate dean of admissions and he said that I am doing the right thing (confirmation for all of you who say so) and that people who say med school admissions boards only consider GPA/MCAT scores should work on an ADCOM before they make their statements. He specifically told me they are looking for marked improvement, not only the numbers. In addition, they said that academics only make up 1/5-1/4 of their admissions decision... it's 1/4 of getting the interview, and it's 1/5 of the overall decision... and that means that your MCAT and GPA separately are 1/8-1/10th of the process... and that is from the horses mouth!

I was just trying to simplify for you based upon the fact that you are not yet in medical school. That's all.

Of course you need to be well-rounded. You didn't need a seminar for that advice, right?

Bottom line is that you need to have high enough grades & MCATs to even have your application read at most places. Work on doing well on the things you can control right now.

When applicants talk about "knowing" what specialty they want to go into, unless it is a clear-cut thing like a doula or midwife wanting to do Ob/Gyn, I always feel skeptical of that because I feel people who have life experience before medical school should have enough common sense to know that you don't really know what specialty you would be best at until you actually get to "try on" the different services in medical school. Until you get here, you're making a best guess. Just my opinion.

based on personal experience doing pre-hospital care, having graves and a dad with diabetes, and knowing family medicine, I have a pretty good grip on what they do... its more of a how they get there, but... again... likely to do rural primary care, whether it's FP or IM, I don't know... my friend said she really likes the different things she gets to do as a general hospitalist, every day is different, you never know what will come down the line... That appeals to me, but I don't know if I want her 11 hour 7 days on then 7 off schedule... but.... at the same time, as she said, 2 weeks off every month is a nice way to go to CO and go skiing or whatever in the winter... either way, it's all in the future!

Oh, and the reason I posted about the well-rounded is there are people that have told me I have NO chance of getting into a trad MD in the US...

Just a thought - many do have babies in medical school. Check out Mommd.com. It really isn't that crazy. It's definitely harder, but it isn't crazy. Speaking from experience...

Good to know... when I get in, I'll start checking it out :) I thought my friend had said something similar to what you guys are saying, about having them when you're in the clinicals, so that they are young and don't remember how much we're away ;)

student1799- Things are going well! Getting ready to start M2 in three weeks and loving my summer research project! :love:

The kids have adjusted well- I think they are actually happier, since we are in student-family housing, so they have about 50 kids their age within a five minute walk of us. Great schools, great day care, great city.

We shall see how they handle things come September when the baby arrives, but so far so good!

Good to know... when I get in, I'll start checking it out :) I thought my friend had said something similar to what you guys are saying, about having them when you're in the clinicals, so that they are young and don't remember how much we're away ;)

I would think that not being there with them for any sufficient extent of time does affect them in the long run. I read in several places that most of our inherent characteristics that really shape our nature and dispositions are all there in us in some preliminary form by the age of 4. So to say that a baby does not miss the love and care and the security provided by a parent is cutting it too short and kind of selfish if you think from a child's point of view.

Also, another thing is that our priorities and perspectives change right at the moment we become a parent. It hard to explain that to someone who has not been through this. And the guilt of not being with the child when he/she needs you most - does stay - some of it can't be avoided - but you do have to make up for that lost time to some extent in some shape or form - may be not in terms of quantity - but definitely in terms of quality. We are non-trads, so juggling multiple priorities in life is a given.

If you are at or around 30, then I would really think of having babies before you started med school, especially if you are a women and having babies is something that you would ever consider. The biological clock is merciless and not something that can be reversed. If you conciously choose to not have children ever - then go ahead. But if you are the kind of person that regrets past decisions - this is something that no amount of regret is going to help you overcome. Although, some of us have had babies in med school, I am sure that it has really hard for them. It was hard enough for me with full time job in engineering + post bacc - and I am not even in med school yet.

But, at least, I will have most of that behind me by the time I start med school. Anyway, that was my point of view. Many of you may not agree and it is ok. We can respectfully disagree with each other.

Oh, and the reason I posted about the well-rounded is there are people that have told me I have NO chance of getting into a trad MD in the US...

In the illustrious words of 311 - **** the naysayers they dont mean a thing, cuz this is what style we bring!

Dont listen to them its just not true.

As to the baby thing....I got nothing. I do know several people who had babies (women students) in 1st, 2nd, and a couple in 4th year. 4th year is pretty easy to move around I hear.

The baby love issue (previous poster) is just half of the story. Dont forget there is another parent in the picture. Also to say they will suffer love loss is just not true, who can say how much love you can give your child while in school. Unless we can universally apply that notion and say women who have children shouldn't be working careers, traveling jobs, etc its just not completely accurate. Everyone has their own ideas and no one can say whats right for anyone else, but life is not a static set of paths we take, make your own...those are by far the best. No one has a threshold of time, or love, or smiles, or diapers changed that equals the perfect amount of time and energy your child needs not to be a psychopath. Just do what you feel comfortable with and stop listening to all the negative Nancy's for goodness sake.

;):D

I would think that not being there with them for any sufficient extent of time does affect them in the long run.
I can't speak for other posters, but my point was that a mother would have MORE,not less, time to spend with her infant while in the preclincal years of med school. Someone will obviously have to watch the baby while mom is in class, but she could easily spend the rest of the day with the baby while studying and doing household tasks. When a child is very young, that simple contact and presence is important and sufficient. And when you think about it, it's more than most babies get in this country--about 2/3 of mothers work, and most of them only get 3 months' maternity leave (or less in many cases). Yet their children do fine, as long as they have high-quality care.

During the clinical years and residency it gets harder, of course, but if you had a baby just before first year started, they'd be ready for preschool by the time your rotations started. That takes a lot of pressure off the parents.

I myself had 2 kids while working full-time in a very demanding field, and took the standard 3 mos. off for each. They're 11 and 14 now, and doing just fine. (And BTW, they have been behind me 100% on the med school thing.).
Many of you may not agree and it is ok. We can respectfully disagree with each other.

Yes, I second that.

During the clinical years and residency it gets harder, of course, but if you had a baby just before first year started, they'd be ready for preschool by the time your rotations started. That takes a lot of pressure off the parents.

I totally agree that having an older child takes quite a bit of load off the parents. I myself will have a 3 year and an 8 year old when I start med school. But, here we were talking about have a child while in med school. So that could mean that you would end up having an infant or a toddler during residency, which I believe is totally unfair to the child.

This would practically mean that the child would miss a parent (most likely the mother) for the most vulnerable years of his/her life. I for one, wouldn't like to be a stranger to my children. Going to med school is my dream, and I want the support of my family to make it happen. My children too, spend their day with a nanny while both of us are at work (we have a very good one, thankfully), but I would not put them through a residency at this age (the younger one, I mean - just a year old now). That's a different deal and you at least need a child in grade school to even understand what is keeping mommy away for so long.

I rest my case here. And, yes, we can respectfully disagree. :)

I totally agree that having an older child takes quite a bit of load off the parents. I myself will have a 3 year and an 8 year old when I start med school. But, here we were talking about have a child while in med school. So that could mean that you would end up having an infant or a toddler during residency, which I believe is totally unfair to the child.

This would practically mean that the child would miss a parent (most likely the mother) for the most vulnerable years of his/her life. I for one, wouldn't like to be a stranger to my children. Going to med school is my dream, and I want the support of my family to make it happen. My children too, spend their day with a nanny while both of us are at work (we have a very good one, thankfully), but I would not put them through a residency at this age (the younger one, I mean - just a year old now). That's a different deal and you at least need a child in grade school to even understand what is keeping mommy away for so long.

I rest my case here. And, yes, we can respectfully disagree. :)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I feel I have to for a minute. I am a medical student, only one year in, but one year in none-the-less.

My children are not deprived, nor am I an absent parent. They attend school/daycare M-F for 8-9 hours a day, during which I attend class and study. After 5 pm, it is my family's time. Believe it or not, my children actually do know what I look like. We read books, play soccer outside, and make messes out of finger paints and play-doh. They are 3, 5, and 7. We will be having our fourth/last child in a little over a month, and I have chosen to split my M2 year to spend more time with my little one and family, meaning the baby will be almost 2 before I start M3 rotations.

I worked professionally while pregnant and taking care of our children- and I was gone more hours/week than I am now. I often worked 70+ hours per week. Not exactly residency, but comparable given the position I had.

Believe it or not, my children even knew who I was at that point too. We particularly enjoyed Saturday morning parent-child swim lessons.

Older children have a completely different set of needs from their parents- issues with academic achievement, friends, social development, peer pressure, identity, etc. Yes, the nine year old may be able to get themselves dressed and backpack set, but you need to be cognizant that there may be kids in their class that are already drinking and having sex. So not easier, just different.

So, yes, I respectfully disagree. As someone who is in medical school with young children.

And I will now turn the thread back over to the OP ;)

hehe,
You guys are great... First, until I'm actually in school, I can't even really make a "real" plan... Depending on where I get accepted, my husband may or may not go with (like if I was accepted in the caribbean, he wouldn't go with, or if I was in a few other places, he would stay with his parents)... he does fully support me, and plan on visiting, but either way, it's pretty tough to have kids without one's spouse... The reasons I don't have them now are financial, and in reality, I would think the first year of residency would be the worst as far as being away from the children, everything else isn't as bad, so, my thought was to be pregnant then... that way, 2nd & 3rd year, the child would be very young, and would get to see me, and that time wouldn't be spent with me studying or otherwise distracted... but I don't have kids yet... I do have a guy who's great, and will likely be a "stay at home dad" because then one person is home with them... he has a business out of our home anyway, so everybody wins! anyway, if I get into the UMN system, all is good, anything near MN, IA, NE, VA, AZ, he'd probably go, FL, probably not... Oh, and if it's closer to CO, he said he'll go ;) That's where we're trying to end up, so hopefully that works out :D

To you moms in med school, wow... you are an inspiration, that's all I can say!

Hi,
yes, I'm new here, I don't know which of you are in, or not... But, I'd like the opinions of people who are in, or are already through MD/DO school.

I am 34 (married, no kids, husband is fully supportive of any path I choose), I have a BS in Biomedical Science from 1999, overall/science GPA were ~2.75-2.8 but I have been taking upper-level science classes to improve the overall/science GPA, and my post-bacc GPA. By the end of Spring 2011 I will have a post-bacc GPA of ~3.85-3.9 for ~80 credits. I have been getting straight A's in the science classes I have been taking, and intend to continue doing so, per the advice of the admissions board at the med school in my state. These additional courses will raise my overall and science GPA's to about 3.03 each (yes, not great I know). I am getting my EMT certificate, although in this job market, I will likely not find a job with it (there are 3 openings currently in the state of MN). I have 25+ years (combined) of medically-related volunteer work; National Ski Patrol for 17 years, 10 years for a racetrack picking up pieces of downed motorcycles and riders, as well as at my local food shelf (not medically related, but working with under-served populations). In addition, I work in Biotech (which I hate, love bio, hate QC work) which may/may not help. I have a DO, 3 MDs, and the director of the ER (who is an RN, but has been the director of the ER for 10 years) at a local hospital who are all willing to write me excellent LORs, in addition to my current profs. I have not taken the MCAT yet as I was told not to take it until I plan to apply, which will be next spring (Spr 11).

I plan to apply broadly to MN (home state) schools, DO schools, and anywhere that will take me... I am willing, as a last resort only, to do a post-bacc pre-med masters program, but again, only as a last resort.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions???

Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while) but DO schools generally are more likely to allow grade replacement if you retake a class whereas MD schools often consider your GPA for all coursework (including retaken classes) I'm assuming that you've taken this into account.

It seems as though you really want this so I wish you a lot of luck. I will be pushing 40 when I finish school and my wife isn't far behind me in age. We've decided that kids will just show up when they do, although I appreciate that I'm not the one who will be pregnant so my situation is different from yours. That said, I'd like to wait until after step 1.

Recently I had a conversation with a doctor on the admissions committee at my school and was told that although GPA was important, it isn't a deal-breaker. A good MCAT school will carry a lot of weight so take time now to find a good review book that works for YOU. I wasted a lot of time wading through Kaplan and getting nothing from it before switching to Examkrackers.

Good luck to you with your apps - just apply broadly.

A good MCAT school will carry a lot of weight so take time now to find a good review book that works for YOU. I wasted a lot of time wading through Kaplan and getting nothing from it before switching to Examkrackers.

Good luck to you with your apps - just apply broadly.

I was given Kaplan books for free, the ones they use in their classes... So, I have them, but I haven't looked at them yet. I was taking 15 credits over summer session while working full time, so I didn't want to start thinking MCAT when I had other things to focus on... Thanks for the advice... This is one of the most helpful forums I've ever been on :D

Kaplan has an online class, expensive but nice since you don't have to actually show up anywhere. I liked Kaplan for there test strategies but I think examkrackers is way better for content, it's much easier to read and covers more. Have you started taking any practice tests yet? I would start now if I were you so you know where you stand.

Nope, haven't started, as I previously stated... I have two AAMC official tests to practice with at this point (the computerized/online versions), but again, I haven't had time to attempt them... Once Fall term starts I will have more time to look at this stuff... Biochemistry over the summer trumps most everything else... I am not planning on taking a course at all (due to how awfully expensive they are)... But, if I do very poorly on the practice test I may consider it... Thanks for the info about the books also...