HELP! Future Pre-pharm major! Pharm majors please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pamelaaax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I am currently a sophomore in high school and I want to be a pharmacist when I grow up. When I go to college I want to take a 0-6 program and I wanted to know if I'm the right track and I need some help with my schedule. Right now we are doing course selection at my school and I've come to face a bit of a problem. So my chem teacher gives these amazing recommendations as to what science you should take the next year like so good that people come back and tell her that she was right and it helped them out in college. My friends sister that goes to Cornell even came back and said she was right and that college was a bit harder for her when she took Bio because she don't take her recommendation in high school. She told me that since I want to be a pharmacist I should take AP Chem and Physics I Honors ( in my school you either take physics prior or concurrently with AP chem) So I would essentially be doubling up on sciences. The only thing is that my school has certain requirements such as Technology and stuff that I need to take. Freshman year I took a half year course so I still need another half and I need to do technology. If I did double up on sciences next year then I would have to double up on electives senior year. Should I take my teachers recommendation and then take AP Bio senior year. Also there is an internship program I can do senior year but in order to do that I would most likely have to quit lacrosse senior year. Should I do it? The internship I would get to choose and would obviously be at a pharmacy. Let me know what you think and if I'm on the right track.

Freshman Year:
English I
Algebra I
World History I
Biology I
PE/Health
FInancial Literacy (Half Year course)
theatre I ( half year course)
Spanish Speakers I
I don't remember my grades but I remember my final grade for Algebra was a 98 and I got all A's.

Sophomore Year
PE/Health (Health final grade: 99)
US History I Honors (1st marking period: 88 2nd Marking period current grade: 92)
Geometry (1st marking period: 95 2nd marking period current grade: 94)
Spanish Speakers AP (1st marking period 95 2nd marking period current 94)
English I (1st marking period 92 current 96)
Chemistry I Honors ( 1st marking period 89 current 87)
Algebra II (1st marking period 98 current 98)

Junior Year (probable schedule)
English III
PE/Health
US History Honors II
Pre Calc Honors (if I get in)
French I (there is no more Spanish for natives after two years)
AP Chemistry
Physics I Honors

Senior Year (probable)
English IV
PE/Health
American Law
Calculus
French III honors if I do good junior year
AP Bio
Robotics Honors
Culinary

I have a 4.0 class rank 39/400

I'm in 9 clubs
I play Field hockey ( freshman team freshman year and JV sophomore year)
and lacrosse (JV freshman year and probably varsity this year.)
I also teach a ccd class at my church and I'm planning on volunteering at a hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! So I am currently a sophomore in high school and I want to be a pharmacist when I grow up. When I go to college I want to take a 0-6 program and I wanted to know if I'm the right track and I need some help with my schedule. Right now we are doing course selection at my school and I've come to face a bit of a problem. So my chem teacher gives these amazing recommendations as to what science you should take the next year like so good that people come back and tell her that she was right and it helped them out in college. My friends sister that goes to Cornell even came back and said she was right and that college was a bit harder for her when she took Bio because she don't take her recommendation in high school. She told me that since I want to be a pharmacist I should take AP Chem and Physics I Honors ( in my school you either take physics prior or concurrently with AP chem) So I would essentially be doubling up on sciences. The only thing is that my school has certain requirements such as Technology and stuff that I need to take. Freshman year I took a half year course so I still need another half and I need to do technology. If I did double up on sciences next year then I would have to double up on electives senior year. Should I take my teachers recommendation and then take AP Bio senior year. Also there is an internship program I can do senior year but in order to do that I would most likely have to quit lacrosse senior year. Should I do it? The internship I would get to choose and would obviously be at a pharmacy. Let me know what you think and if I'm on the right track.

Freshman Year:
English I
Algebra I
World History I
Biology I
PE/Health
FInancial Literacy (Half Year course)
theatre I ( half year course)
Spanish Speakers I
I don't remember my grades but I remember my final grade for Algebra was a 98 and I got all A's.

Sophomore Year
PE/Health (Health final grade: 99)
US History I Honors (1st marking period: 88 2nd Marking period current grade: 92)
Geometry (1st marking period: 95 2nd marking period current grade: 94)
Spanish Speakers AP (1st marking period 95 2nd marking period current 94)
English I (1st marking period 92 current 96)
Chemistry I Honors ( 1st marking period 89 current 87)
Algebra II (1st marking period 98 current 98)

Junior Year (probable schedule)
English III
PE/Health
US History Honors II
Pre Calc Honors (if I get in)
French I (there is no more Spanish for natives after two years)
AP Chemistry
Physics I Honors

Senior Year (probable)
English IV
PE/Health
American Law
Calculus
French III honors if I do good junior year
AP Bio
Robotics Honors
Culinary

I have a 4.0 class rank 39/400

I'm in 9 clubs
I play Field hockey ( freshman team freshman year and JV sophomore year)
and lacrosse (JV freshman year and probably varsity this year.)
I also teach a ccd class at my church and I'm planning on volunteering at a hospital.

You're doing fine. It's your college grades that matter, not really your high school grades. But it looks like you'll definitely get into a program.

Highschool classes don't matter. But since you're applying for a 0-6 program here's what I recommend:

AP Biology/Physics/Chemistry/Calculus/Statistics <--- very important
AP English/World History/US History/Government/Economic <--- important
AP whatever else is available at your school <--- GPA boost
Continue lacrosse team <---- I'm not just all school you know!
Don't do that internship program if it interferes with your lacrosse/AP classes <---- free labor isn't all that great
Get volunteering experiences at local hospitals during the summer/school year if time is available <--- so you know what you're talking about at interview

If you don't interview well or don't have a lot of interview experiences, get some
and most importantly, be prepared to change career path, you're still in highschool, be flexible, keep an open mind, keep track of where the profession is going, and see when it's time to apply is it still something you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're doing fine. It's your college grades that matter, not really your high school grades. But it looks like you'll definitely get into a program.

Your grades do matter in high school since you are thinking 0-6 programs. Do not listen to this person.

I recommend taking as many AP classes as possible. Taking AP Chem and/or Bio will really help you out and looks great on recommendations. Physics is important too but Chem or Bio have more weight since they apply more to pharmacy.

Club involvement is really good so I would continue that and maybe try to get a leadership position within your club to help set yourself apart.

i think you have a good chance at a 0-6 program. :)

Out of high school, I got into UOP's 0-6 program and my gpa was only like 3.4 unweighted. lol. I took a total of 7 AP's throughout high school though and honors classes whenever available. Like you, I also did two sports, volunteered at a hospital, and taught (kids.. i.e. tutored).

My friend who's not as motivated as me got into MCPHS's 0-6 program. You'll be fine ^^ I think admissions for 0-6 programs are pretty lax.

Definitely take AP Chem and AP Bio though. As for the lacrosse vs. internship thing, it's really up to you. The pharmacy experience would look awesome and would really add to your application for a 0-6 program, but I also remember sports being a great memory with my friends in high school so it's your call. I didn't have any pharmacy experience when I applied to UOP's 0-6 program and was still admitted and I'm sure many other high school applicants do not have such experience either.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the help! It helped me so much with course selections I really appreciate it!

Instead of interning in the fall, volunteer in a local hospital pharmacy or retail pharmacy during the summer. Then you can still play sports.
Not all pharmacies will allow a teen in, but ask around. I had three people say no, but then found a place where I ended up volunteering all summer.
Send your college applications in during the summer or as soon as they start accepting them. Follow up in Sept. and schedule an early interview.
Maybe it's due to the glut of students enrolled in all the new schools, but the 0-6/early assurance programs did not seem very difficult to get into.