HELP! GPR Programs in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keep2camel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I am currently a rising D4, and looking to do a GPR in NYC. A lot of the forums here regarding GPR's are rather outdated, and would like to get some perspective of people that have recently been through the process. What I am looking to get out of GPR is to walk out feeling confident enough to tackle most cases that come into my office. I would like a program with strong exposure to all facets of dentistry. Implants is highly preferred but not a strong "must have". Since it is nearly impossible to shadow these places, I would love it if someone can give me the pros/cons of the following programs, as well as any additional info that you might think is important:

1. NYU Lutheran (now Langone)
2. Jamaica
3. Stony Brook
4. Kings County
5. NYP Queens
6. NYP Methodist
7. Bronx Lebanon (now BronxCare)
8. Maimonidies
9. Montefiore

I would also appreciate it if you think I left out a great program!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Bump! Anyone recent experiences to share about Bronx Lebanon or Montefiore?

Bump! Love to hear about montefiore and bronxcare

Members don't see this ad :)
montefiore - as a gp, you dont much. My friends went there as last minute and hated it. Its not like you look for more and you can do more, but its just simply not in the culture to give cases to GP when other programs, omfs, is so strong and yield more money.

Montefiore typically has a lot of post-match spots. They have around 60 spots at 5 sites in the bronx area. You may end up at any of those sites if you match.

Bronx Lebanon I hear is very busy, but they have an affiliated OMFS program so you shouldn't expect implants or OMFS in general.

Bronx Lebanon I hear is very busy, but they have an affiliated OMFS program so you shouldn't expect implants or OMFS in general.
You don't place implants but you do restore them. And everyone does a 6 week OMFS rotation where you do lots of extractions.

They’re all pretty much the same - public hospital - Medicaid patients - so so experience. Only do it if you need to work in NY after

The only programs in NY that are worth it are VA programs - where patients have unlimited funding.

Anyone know anything about Harlem Hospital GPR? I haven't heard much or seen much on here. Would love any insight! Even if someone interviewed there!

They’re all pretty much the same - public hospital - Medicaid patients - so so experience. Only do it if you need to work in NY after

The only programs in NY that are worth it are VA programs - where patients have unlimited funding.
what makes you say that? did you do a gpr program and not like it?

what makes you say that? did you do a gpr program and not like it?
BronxCare GPR: Just the bullet points
  • The equipment is really outdated (dental chairs, composite curing lights, panorex machines, cavitrons, etc.) and repairs take a really long.
  • 2nd years get the big cases so don’t expect to do much full mouth rehab.
  • Minuscule implant experience. GPRs don’t place em, don’t tx plan em on CBCT software, and very few restore em.
  • You work without an assistant almost always.
  • Assistants call out a lot.
  • The main clinic overbooks so you rarely leave on time. Overbooking also leads you do the quickest option for the patient, not the ideal.
  • You never get to complete a molar endo or crown prep from start to finish.
  • Most of the attendings do not the possess the knowledge that dental school clinical faculty possess. This was a major disappointment for me.
  • The morale is super low here. Not just in dental either. I heard a seasoned anesthesiologist nickname the place, “Bronx Do Not Care”.
  • When on call you get called frequently and you have to see everything first even if it’s something OMFS/ENT should be seeing because it’s outside your scope. This is a big waste of time for yourself and for the patient. You practically have to beg the OS residents to come see the patient.
  • You get granted “post call” (a later start) based on when you first received your call and not based on what time you finished. So, if you get a call at 10:00 PM but didn’t finish until 3 AM this does not convince them that you should be getting a later start the following morning.
  • Snow days? Yeah right. This place will not close.
  • Side effects from the COVID vaccine? Use a sick day. Unlike other hospitals that granted its employees the day off (just incase), here, they made us use up our sick days. Unless NY states makes it a law, don’t expect BronxCare to demonstrate consideration for its employees.
  • When you finish the program it will take them two months to pay you your last paycheck and certificates were not ready either when we finished.
If interested I can go into more detail as to why I would not recommend this GPR.

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know anything about Harlem Hospital GPR? I haven't heard much or seen much on here. Would love any insight! Even if someone interviewed there!
Hey! I know two people that are current residents there. It's a really good program. You learn a lot--including urgent care/emergency procedures. The downside is you down get to do a lot of implants and full mouth rehabilitation. Besides that, you do everything from molar extractions to RCT retreatment. On call is every three days, so you have to be okay with that. They expect you to working hard and giving your 100%. The area isn't the safest, but there are plenty of places to live outside of Harlem.