HELP!: gradschool dropouts -->> DO???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adismo

covered in moon dust
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, this is a weird question I know; so few here are gradstudents. But here goes....

Do D.O. schools accept grad students (Master's to be exact) into matriculation even if the gradstudents do not finish their MS or MA?

Shouldn't the admissions committees just look at your undergrad work and thats it!?

If you are or have been in this boat please respond. The waters stink.
Thanks for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm a graduate student myself. To answer your question, Yes, you can apply to medical school and be accepted without ever finishing your MA or MS. How do I know this? I contacted every dean of admission's to every medical school on my list of choices and asked them. They all told me the same thing. They said that it is extremely positive to show that you can handle graduate level work, and there is no reason to finish your master's degree if you want to go on to medical school. Its not dropping out if you're going to medschool.

They do look at your graduate level grades. If they're poor than I suggest you take some more and do well to try to balance them out.

W.

Ya mean it? (sniff, sniff) Geez, you just contributed to an ulcer-free me. Youre a doll, er... stud, whatever, you understand. I was starting to email all the admission comittees of schools I applied to, but I remembered the cool people on this board. Thanks x 10!

Members don't see this ad :)
WishUponAStar,

Just being curious. Which schools did you contact exactly?

What if you left a program because it wasn't offering a as strong a concnetration as teh program initially demonstrated?

When I was accepted into LECOM last year I was still in a Masters program. Nothing was ever mentioned about finishing or not finishing my MS. They didn't care either way, however I did wrap things up before starting.

i can see that -- but that "withdrew from program" on my transcipt just urkes the hell out of me....can I get i removed anyway?

i think it depends somewhat on what type of graduate degree you're pursuing. for example, if you are in a 2 year physiology masters program, i doubt anyone would give a second thought if you stated that you wanted a year's worth of graduate level science classes to prepare you for med school. thats pretty common. if you're in a history program, well thats different to explain. there are some graduate programs offered by med schools in things like biomedical sciences, with courses similar in depth and in material to med school. if after the first year they deem you worthy, you are awarded a certificate, and you don't have any "withdrawn from program" statement on your transcripts. youj can also go and complete the second year. hope this helps.

it was a MPH...

I was in graduate school when I was accepted into medical school as well. I was in a Ph.D. for neuropsychology and organized it so that I would at least receive my Master's prior to matriculation. In fact, I used my dissatisfaction with the neuropsych program as the basis of my essay, stating how I needed more, etc, etc.

so if a few people get accepted without finishing then they shouldn't mind somebody who left the program and THEN applied....is it the same difference???