Help Guys~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesBourne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore in college, and I absolutely have no idea when to take DAT, or when to register with AADSAS. I know it is better to apply as early as possible with AADSAS. I would appreciate if anyone could give a breakdown of the timeline of the preparation. For instance, when to take DAT and when to apply for dental schools. Thank you in advance =)

Members don't see this ad.

i'd say it would be best if you take the DAT sometime in the spring of you junior year. this is about the same time you would want to start putting together you application, especially try to get your letters of evaluation collected before may 15. then try to submit you app as early as possible after may 15 of your junior year. i also think it would be helpful to take some biology/upper level science course the semesters leading up to you taking the DAT. biochem and anat/physiology classes were helpful for me.

this is what i wish i would have done when i applied but i waited till late summer to get submit everything. it really makes a difference to apply as early as possible

I am currently a sophomore in college, and I absolutely have no idea when to take DAT, or when to register with AADSAS. I know it is better to apply as early as possible with AADSAS. I would appreciate if anyone could give a breakdown of the timeline of the preparation. For instance, when to take DAT and when to apply for dental schools. Thank you in advance =)

if u don't want to waste a yr, take it during ur 3rd year, anytime before summer to be safe. aadsas application opens up during mid may.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sophomore Year:
- Core Pre-Req Sciences (i.e. Orgo, Chem, Bio)
- Start getting Letters of Recommendation, don't let not having LORs in time hold you back. Ask for more than 3 LORs because some professors will flake.

Junior Year:
- Supplementary Sciences (i.e. Physiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology)
- Ideally, submit ADDSAS between May 15th-June 1st
- Ideally, take DAT between January and May of your Junior Year, after studying winter break, or after studying spring break.

Senior Year:
- Ideally, interviews in Fall
- Finish Pre-Reqs (such as Physics 1&2 if you're bad at it, take it Sophomore/Junior if you're good at it)

We've all been there. Good luck! :)

Would it be considered late to take the DAT in June or even July? Given that I have my recs, pre-reqs, and ADDSAS all filled out and completed, would it still be considered "late" to take the DAT in June/July?

This would give me some time in the summer break to do some hardcore studying but at the same time, I do understand the importance of applying early.

i'd say it would be best if you take the DAT sometime in the spring of you junior year. this is about the same time you would want to start putting together you application, especially try to get your letters of evaluation collected before may 15. then try to submit you app as early as possible after may 15 of your junior year. i also think it would be helpful to take some biology/upper level science course the semesters leading up to you taking the DAT. biochem and anat/physiology classes were helpful for me.

this is what i wish i would have done when i applied but i waited till late summer to get submit everything. it really makes a difference to apply as early as possible

Did you get into Ohio State? I'm assuming you did based on your stats and interview date, do you know where you'll be attending yet?

Would it be considered late to take the DAT in June or even July? Given that I have my recs, pre-reqs, and ADDSAS all filled out and completed, would it still be considered "late" to take the DAT in June/July?

This would give me some time in the summer break to do some hardcore studying but at the same time, I do understand the importance of applying early.

You application is not complete until it also has DAT scores at every school, and that takes a few weeks after taking the DAT. They are shipped to the schools by themselves, not with AADSAS, so taking it in early May gets the scores there in June around the time of your application, so then it is complete. Taking it in June/July does delay your application.

Also, don't forget to continuously check the schools' websites and your email for possible supplemental applications. My first year applying I called a school and asked why I hadn't heard anything and they said they never received my supplemental - it was a downloaded PDF from their website that I had never checked, and my application was completed in January!

Did you get into Ohio State? I'm assuming you did based on your stats and interview date, do you know where you'll be attending yet?

i was actually waitlisted at OSU:thumbdown: it was my first interview and it didnt go as well as i would have liked. while i would have liked to get in im not that upset about it because i want to go somewhere out of ohio after spending the last 4 years at OSU for undergrad. im ready for a new experience. now i just have to prepare better for my other interviews and hope for a better outcome :xf:

congrats on your acceptance btw!