Help Help Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinsley12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some massive advice from anyone who can help me out with this...here is my deal.

I have already taken the MCAT once - before I took OChem (I have no idea what I was thinking, what a MASSIVE mistake on that one) and didn't do so hot with a 27.

I'm registered to take it for my 2nd time on June 13th, but don't feel like I am 100% ready for it. I work 40+ hours a week and haven't had as much time as I would have liked to prep for it. I don't know how much longer I can cut back on the sleep before my body just shuts down. :eek:

Anyway. It's too late to reschedule my date, but I was considering just voiding my exam and taking it "for real" on July 8th. Is this too late as far as getting applications out, as my score won't be back until beginning of August??? And what happens if I submit my application without my score (ie: before I take it)? Will my schools wait on my new score or will they just look at my old horrendous score and throw me away?! Should I submit everything else online and just take it in July and see what happens???

I am in such a pickle, I really don't know what to do. I know that the later I apply, the more disadvantaged I will be, but at the same time, I don't want to go into something as huge as the MCAT and not feel completely prepared for it. I really can't take this test for a THIRD TIME...

Advice?? Suggestions?? Help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I need some massive advice from anyone who can help me out with this...here is my deal.

I have already taken the MCAT once - before I took OChem (I have no idea what I was thinking, what a MASSIVE mistake on that one) and didn't do so hot with a 27.

I'm registered to take it for my 2nd time on June 13th, but don't feel like I am 100% ready for it. I work 40+ hours a week and haven't had as much time as I would have liked to prep for it. I don't know how much longer I can cut back on the sleep before my body just shuts down. :eek:

Anyway. It's too late to reschedule my date, but I was considering just voiding my exam and taking it "for real" on July 8th. Is this too late as far as getting applications out, as my score won't be back until beginning of August??? And what happens if I submit my application without my score (ie: before I take it)? Will my schools wait on my new score or will they just look at my old horrendous score and throw me away?! Should I submit everything else online and just take it in July and see what happens???

I am in such a pickle, I really don't know what to do. I know that the later I apply, the more disadvantaged I will be, but at the same time, I don't want to go into something as huge as the MCAT and not feel completely prepared for it. I really can't take this test for a THIRD TIME...

If you're having any doubts on how prepared you are for the MCAT, you should definetly postpone the date as you said.

On the other hand, as a reapplicant I know first hand how important it is to apply early. Since your MCAT score will not reach the schools until August and then you would have to submit secondaries, you are looking at a mid August completion date. I did this last year and have talked to many adcom members who say that if you are a borderline candidate (28-32 MCAT) you NEED to apply early.

IMHO, you have three ways to go.

1)Stick with your MCAT now and apply NOW to some low tier MDs and DOs and hope for the best.

2)Take the July MCAT and get a 34+ (if possible) and you should be ok applying this late to low tier MD's

3)Wait til next cycle and study your a$$ off until August and nail it so you are ready to go next yea. (Work or get a master's next year)

good luck

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that makes sense. God, the thought of waiting another year to apply makes me just want to cry. I hate that so much rides on this stupid test. I know I'm going to do fine once I get into med school and I'm going to be a kickass doctor and its 110% what I want to do. Why can't THAT just be enough..

I feel like its going to come right down to the wire whether or not I take it on June 13th or July 8th. A thought just occurred to me, though. Since I'm already registered for the 13th, it won't let me check in the system to see if there are any seats available on the 8th. Let's pretend worst case scenario I decided not to go on the 13th and then the aren't any seats left on the 8th...WHAT. WOULD. I. DO.

Does anyone else feel like they are losing their mind a little bit over the MCAT? :p

I feel like if I wait until July 8th, I can get a score that I would be happy with and the rest of my application is competitive, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad that my secondaries and everything wouldn't get out until mid-August?

Reassure me tell me I'm not screwing myself...

I generally agree with the advice to delay if you're not prepared. But that should be considered in the context of what you truly believe you can achieve on the MCAT. The most common marker is averaging the scores you get on AAMC practice tests. If they come to a reasonable score, you can likely get that give or take a couple points. The problem is, you really need to actively commit to preparing for this thing. It's almost like another job.

I found writing flashcards with MCAT questions on them (or questions that tested concepts) worked well, since I could even flip through them while on the subway to work, while walking to lunch, while there was downtime at work, etc. There are ways to work around the limitations of life. You just have to be honest with yourself about where you commit your time and energy, and whether you can commit more to the things that are important to you. Best of luck.

I had 27 and got 0 interviews from 30+ MD schools. :(
but they all sucked secondary app fees.