Help help please!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnableToGo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was matched to a path program and also applied temporary lisence. However because of family reasons, I will not be able to go to this program this year. My questions are:
1. if I go to this program next year as a first year resident, will I be PGY1 or PGY2 since I matched and applied liscence this year?

2. if I do not go to this program this year, can I be a part of NRMP class 2008 as a PGY1?

I know these questions are very simple but I want to be sure. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you go next year you will be a PGY1 if you take the year off and arent in anyother program. You cant defer 5 years and come back as a PGY5, it dosent work that way. good luck:luck:

2. if I do not go to this program this year, can I be a part of NRMP class 2008 as a PGY1?

If you are unable to go to your program that you matched into your first step is talking to the program. See what their response to your being unable to go is...

and yes it theoretically possible to to go throught the match again next year.

keeping in mind that your medical school deans letter may spell out exactly what happened.

I knew someone who waited to take Step II till after match and then tanked step II to avoid going to the program he matched at (because he wanted med-peds (and didnt get it) or something). The program he matched at offered to allow him to start late, but he said no thanks. But then his deans letter spelled out exactly what happened... and no one would touch him
He ended up back at the program that accepted him, a year later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew someone who waited to take Step II till after match and then tanked step II to avoid going to the program he matched at (because he wanted med-peds (and didnt get it) or something).

That's like trying to get pregnant on prom night so you don't have to go to college.

You should definitely contact your program director if you haven't already. Your main issue is going to be with the NRMP for next year's match (unless you have worked out some sort of deal to just start next year without going through the match). To go through the proper channels, you need to apply for a waiver through the NRMP. Check out the process on their website:

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/policies/waivers.html

They will look at your situation and determine whether you can get out of your residency contract. Either way, if you haven't done any residency training, you cannot skip to PGY2 status regardless of licensure (and you will probably have to contact the licensing agency as well and update them on your status).

Best of luck!

thank you all for your replies.

But I accepted a prematch offer from the program. Do I need to apply for waiver?

thank you all for your replies.

But I accepted a prematch offer from the program. Do I need to apply for waiver?

Most likely as you were in the match at one point. Additionally, you NEED to talk to your program. They might be willing to work something out about scheduling or even deferring for a year.

But also the need to know that one of their residents is not showing up this July.

If you did not match through the NRMP process (you either never entered the match or withdrew before match day), you probably do not need a waiver. You definitely should talk to your PD. As mentioned above, he/she might be able to help you work something out. If not, you should be able to enter the PGY-1 match through the NRMP next year.

I knew someone who waited to take Step II till after match and then tanked step II to avoid going to the program he matched at (because he wanted med-peds (and didnt get it) or something).

I wonder why that clown's med school didn't req. taking steps 1&2 to graduate.

I wonder why that clown's med school didn't req. taking steps 1&2 to graduate.

while i think most every school requires step 1 passage prior to beginning the clinical years, i've heard of some that don't require step 2 passage to graduate. personally, i agree with you - what's the good of having a medical degree if you can't practice because you can't get licensed (and i know of no state that allows someone to begin PGY1 without passing steps 1 and 2).