Help- Hopkins vs. UCLA ?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I guess I am fortunate to have this dilemma, but I am nevertheless confused. :cool: I have been holding a seat at Hopkins, but I just got off the waitlist at UCLA. :p I currently reside in Orange County and UCLA is an hour away by car. I was away for undergrad too, so the thought of being close to home is really thrilling. But its complex because I am also really interested in Public Health medicine. :love:

Of course I can still do my MPH at Hopkins, I would still prob do that. But what about all the connections and contacts for residencies? Hopkins does amazingly well in the match, but if I eventually want to settle down in Cali anyways doesn’t it make sense to meet people here?

I am really confused, and don’t have long to decide, any experience with either of these schools and any advise would be most appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey - I'm new to this thread, but I saw you post your question and had to answer. Firstly, congratulations on a grand achievement. Secondly, while staying close to home is important to us all, I should tell you that the phenomenal connections you will make at Johns Hopkins are absolutely unbeatable and unrivaled. It is a tremendous powerhouse of an institution. I am doing my fellowship here in London and previously spent time at Hopkins. Absolutely blew me away. I have visited the UCLA campus, and while it is also a fantastic school, you will without a doubt have more of a punch on your resume with the Hopkins training. Good luck with your decisions.

mangos said:
Hi everyone,

I guess I am fortunate to have this dilemma, but I am nevertheless confused. :cool: I have been holding a seat at Hopkins, but I just got off the waitlist at UCLA. :p I currently reside in Orange County and UCLA is an hour away by car. I was away for undergrad too, so the thought of being close to home is really thrilling. But its complex because I am also really interested in Public Health medicine. :love:

Of course I can still do my MPH at Hopkins, I would still prob do that. But what about all the connections and contacts for residencies? Hopkins does amazingly well in the match, but if I eventually want to settle down in Cali anyways doesn’t it make sense to meet people here?

I am really confused, and don’t have long to decide, any experience with either of these schools and any advise would be most appreciated. :)

ummm johns hopkins is #1 in public health, i personally think it's a huge opportunity you'd be passing up, but then again i guess it's where you'd be happy (besides, you'll DEFINTELY make someone's day by letting them in off the waitlist - at either school)

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on having this choice to make, but hopkins is hopkins :p you can always come back to so cal in the future since your family is here.

SpeedRacer said:
ummm johns hopkins is #1 in public health, i personally think it's a huge opportunity you'd be passing up, but then again i guess it's where you'd be happy (besides, you'll DEFINTELY make someone's day by letting them in off the waitlist - at either school)

Yeah JHU is supposed to be insanely good for public health... Yeah and obviously for med. My uncle did his MPH there. Random factoid/personaloid. :p

HOPKINSSSSSS. HOPKINS FOR SURE. Im on the top wl for both, but hopkins is hopkins. it dont get better than that. either way, you have a great choice. good luck.

DoctorMohandes said:
HOPKINSSSSSS. HOPKINS FOR SURE. Im on the top wl for both, but hopkins is hopkins. it dont get better than that. either way, you have a great choice. good luck.

somebody wants to go to UCLA...

I have no vested interest in either school, but the name of hopkins would be tough to pass up in most situations, unless the other school's name was harvard.

Wow, didn’t know it was as clear cut as that…I mean I was thinken UCLA might even be better if I want to eventually match in the west...but is this wrong? Thanks for all the suggestions though…..seems like I will have more difficulty then I even imagined with this one….. :( this is hard........

mangos said:
Wow, didn’t know it was as clear cut as that…I mean I was thinken UCLA might even be better if I want to eventually match in the west...but is this wrong? Thanks for all the suggestions though…..seems like I will have more difficulty then I even imagined with this one….. :( this is hard........

With Hopkins, you can match any where you want.

mangos said:

c'mon people. you can't go wrong either way!!!!!!! mangos, go where your heart leads you. from what you have written, it sounds like ucla would be a great fit and you would not only enjoy being close to family, but you would make connections at a world class institution. hopkins is great, but so is ucla. this is hardly a dilemma. either way you win. congrats on the opportunity!

there are three schools that no one should ever pass over

Harvard, Washington U and Hopkins.

ucla is great, but there is nothing like hopkins

I would absolutely go to ucla between those two. ucla has a school of public health too, not to mention that you could take a year off and do your mph at hopkins or whereever if you wanted to as well. I also am interested in public health and thus feel like minimizing my debt will allow me more freedom later (to take jobs that I want rather than picking based on my huge amt of debt). good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
NOTE: I am not awaiting an acceptance from either school, so I offer my advice free of any ulterior motive.

Most of the previous comments are lame. Never forget that you're going to medical school for yourself, and thus, you should go where you want to go. Yes, Hopkins is a great school. Yes, UCLA is also a great school. Does any of that matter? No.

People sometimes offer the Harvard/Hopkins match as a reason to go to one of those schools. What a lot of people seem to not realize, however, is that their matches are so strong because the students themselves are pretty talented. Your performance during and after medical school is all about YOU, and you're the same student regardless of whether you go to JHU or UCLA. If you can match well from Hopkins, you can match well at UCLA.

There are two factors to consider here: (1) location relative to family, and (2) the Wow! factor of the school. I suspect that most SDNers regard the Wow! factor as all-important. My sense of self-worth is deeper than the name of my school.

I don't think Hopkins is a bad school. I don't think UCLA is a bad school. But it is pretty clear to me from reading your post that you want to go to UCLA. So go there. Don't make the mistake that so many others make and allow medical school to be a more dreadful experience than it has to be by going someplace you don't want to be, all for one line on your resume. Is four years of unhappiness (maybe more, if you end up being stuck there for your residency) worth those seven letters, H-O-P-K-I-N-S? I think not.

mangos said:
Hi everyone,

At UW, one of my classmates turned down Hopkins (and a bunch of other schools) to come home for medical school. I asked her why she did that, and she said that she felt that the atmosphere on the West coast was more laid-back and not as intense, that she wanted to be near her family, and that the price difference was tough to beat.

Personally, I would choose UCLA. If nothing else, would you rather spend the next four years in Baltimore or Westwood? :D

I would choose UCLA.
1) instate tuition!!!!! (debt really does matter)
2) make connections on the west coast
3) awesome school with a strong reputation
4) close to family
5) In Cali and not baltimore
6) You can still have John Hopkins MPH on your CV if you think the name itself is impressive.

SeattlePostBach said:
I would choose UCLA.
1) instate tuition!!!!! (debt really does matter)
2) make connections on the west coast
3) awesome school with a strong reputation
4) close to family
5) In Cali and not baltimore
6) You can still have John Hopkins MPH on your CV if you think the name itself is impressive.

I concur with all the reasons stated above.

Also, let's look at the most obvious reason: It's what you want. Why else would you have stayed on the waitlist for all this time, even after getting into Hopkins????? Your choice was already made when you decided to keep your chances of getting into UCLA alive.

I think it is apparent to everyone on the board that you want to go to UCLA, but feel like you need a better reason to give up a Wow! school like Hopkins. You are ecstatic to be given this opportunity: go to UCLA, and make someone else ecstatic by letting them off the Hopkins waitlist. Just be honest with yourself. That's most important.

MrTee said:
I have no vested interest in either school, but the name of hopkins would be tough to pass up in most situations, unless the other school's name was harvard.

Very true. I'd go to the school you most feel comfortable at. However, that said........

As others have pointed out Hopkins is #2 in the research rankings for med school and #1 for public health. On top of that, they are only hours away from the DC area where you will have places such as NIH very very close to you. For public health, it too will be a better option, because its close location to the nation's capital, where most public health policy decisions are made. The only real down side about Hopkins, is that Baltimore is a kinda scary city from all that I've heard.

A DO I know, went there for her PM&R residency and said that she absolutely had a positive experience at Hopkins for residency and it opened a lot of doors for her later on, when she was applying for academic medicine positions. She's now a USF residency instructor in her field.

That said...

Go where you feel you'll fit best, but think long and hard about it before you make any rash decisions. If you go to a school like Hopkins and do very very well there, you'll be able to get a high chance of getting a residency where you want in the future.

Remember, that while most stay in the region where they went to med school, many people do get out of state residencies at their top choices. Increased chances most likely to be the case if you are the top of your class at a place with a name like Hopkins.

But again, remember to go where you feel is your best fit in terms of location, education, people who will be your classmates, future goals, etc. So if it is LA over Baltimore, go that way. If you can see yourself happy at Hopkins, go there.

You'reCrazy said:

Wrong. Harvard alone is distinguished by this characteristic. It is an unrivalled school in a phenomenal city with an unparalleled match list. In short, HMS is THE complete package; Wash U and Hopkins are not. While the latter two are probably equally "wow"-ish, they simply do not compare with HMS overall. Look at the retention rates of these schools, and you will see that most applicants agree with me.

To the OP, do not go to Hopkins because of the name; go because you want to, and because you know you would have a tremendous four years there. If you think you would enjoy UCLA more, definitely go there. I have heard so many stories about Hopkins students telling everyone else about how cool they are because they are from JHU. If they were sufficiently happy and comfortable with themselves, they wouldn't have to tell everyone how superb they are. Obviously, something in their lives/education is missing, and they compensate for that void by telling everyone who will listen that they study at Hopkins. UCLA students, conversely, seem much more content and laid back (JHU is the epitome of gunner med schools, although you were probably aware of this already). I would therefore consider the institutional mentality of the two institutions in making your decision.

Also, consider location. JHU is in the most ghetto part of E. Balitmore; UCLA is in a nice section of LA. While on a return flight after interviewing in Boston in early February, I remember reading in the Boston Globe that there were 31 murders in the 31 days of January in Baltimore, most of which were in E. Baltimore. Certainly, the clinical training at JHU is therefore interesting, but it would likely be more interesting if you could be more confident that one of your classmates would not receive his medical training while treating your stab or gunshot wound. I actually did not even apply to Hopkins because I could not envision myself living in E. Baltimore for four years. I probably would not have enjoyed the educational atmosphere either, but it was primarily JHU's location that deterred me from applying.

Good luck with your decision. I would pick UCLA.

k so after having read a couple of the other people's responses, i'd like to make a few points of my own. As i mentioned before, im on the wl for both schools, and if I had the choice, i would choose hopkins and here's why. Im from southern california, lived here my entire life, and first of all, i would love to gain the experience of living in a different part of the country. second, hopkins, because of its location, history, etc, offers opportunities that ucla simply wouldnt offer, including... yes even multiple gun wounds and stab wounds. the faculty at hopkins simply cant be beat. on the day of my interview i literally sat in on a cardio lecture, only to later find out the guy lecturing was one of the big honchos in developing artifical hearts. and this caliber of faculty is common at hopkins, and the students seemed to all have really close relationships with the faculty, and as far as "west coast connections" are concerned, i dont think you can have better connections than at hopkins... ucla has been notorious for disappointing its own students, my own sister a perfect example (pm me if you really wanna know the story). as far as "security" is concerned, i dont know if ppl who have actually interviewed at hopkins noticed the police guards at EVERY SINGLE intersection, and if you actually spoke to the students, theyd tell you that girls felt safe enough to WALK back home from the library 3 in the morning. As far as hopkins being a gunner school, i couldnt disagree with this statement more... no other school (well maybe albert einstein) looked more relaxed than hopkins. simple fact is this... it all depends on your class, but the majority of the people i spoke to at hopkins were extremely relaxed and chill, went out and partied regularly, went to lecture just because it really is damn interesting to sit in on a lecture being taught by the leading experts in most subjects, and when they didnt want to go to lecture, they could just get the entire lecture online because everything is taped and put online that same afternoon. something most other schools dont do. i'll admit UCLA has a very chill new curriculum as well... but the fact that hopkins carries the prestige it does wins over in this case. research opportunities acnt be beat at hopkins, clinical experience cant be beat at hopkins (if you're comparing it to ucla, where you do most your rotations at middle class hospitals, treating mostly bread and butter cases) although ucla is a great hospital, i think everyone will tell you that the USC kids get a much better clinical experience in southern california cause they do their rotations at county hospital, which is in a very similar location as hopkins: "the ghetto." which brings me to something else i noticed during my many interviews.... some of the best medical schools in the country are the best medicals schools in the country not because they are built in great locations, but exactly the opposite: they are built in the worst part of the city... the reasoning is simple... you get to do more of what medicine is all about, without the red tape and beaurocracy of suburban hospitals... gun shot wounds, stab wounds, amputations, and helping the really poor who really need the medical attention. at the end of the day, it doesnt make a difference to me which school you choose, cause you withdrawing from either school improves my chances at that school and i would love to go to either... but if i had your choice, id choose hopkins in an instant. im becoming a doctor not because i want to live safely in my nice little comfortable house, driving my mercedes, never experiencing the horrors and difficulties of life in "the ghetto". Im becoming a doctor because i want to leave that very same environment and serve those who do live in the ghetto to try and improve their condition so they can maybe, just maybe have a more decent life. hopefully the rest of the doctors in my generation will want to do the same so at least my generation isnt stuck with a healthcare crisis ten times the one we have right now. either way, you are certainly a bright individual if you have this choice, and i hope you use your intelligence and opportunity for a greater cause than california sun and suburban security. best of luck. :luck:

mangos said:
Hi everyone,

... I have been holding a seat at Hopkins, but I just got off the waitlist at UCLA.

Dump the one that is easier to get in. :smuggrin:

Personally I'd go with UCLA, I don't think either school edges out the other when it comes to residencies and UCLA is a much more familiar region since you are from Socal. UCLA is cheaper too.

To mangos,

Where did you choose to go to???

i'd choose UCLA in a heartbeat.

thanks for all the info, really appreciate it, but I am taking my time, still have another 12 hrs right :laugh: I am still thinking :cool:

as a LA native that went to hopkins undergrad, id have to say hopkins. baltimore isnt nearly as bad as the people that are bashing it are making it out to be. i really enjoyed my time there. besides, isnt it time you left your comfy roots and opened up your life experiences by going somewhere else? no offense, but people to stay in LA their whole lives have a twisted view of the the world! Take this opportunity to get an amazing education with unparalled opportunities while experiencing life in a different part of the united state, close to the cultural meccas of the east coast in new york (3.5 hours away) and DC (40 minutes away). And no matter how far from home it is, in the end it is only four years of your life for a lifetime of what you will do, and no matter what anyone says, your opportunities for residency coming out of hopkins are vastly superior to that of UCLA. Thats no small point.

As an aside, and i know its not the same comparison, but i chose to go to case western in cleveland (which is a poop city compared to baltimore and its surroundings) over drew/UCLA (which, despite its problems, is close to home and everything I love), and I have not regretted it for a second, partly because i know ill match better out of case than from drew, and partly b/c once you're in school, where you are starts to matter less and less. you're a med student first after all.

bobhagopian said:
NOTE: I am not awaiting an acceptance from either school, so I offer my advice free of any ulterior motive.

Most of the previous comments are lame. Never forget that you're going to medical school for yourself, and thus, you should go where you want to go. Yes, Hopkins is a great school. Yes, UCLA is also a great school. Does any of that matter? No.

People sometimes offer the Harvard/Hopkins match as a reason to go to one of those schools. What a lot of people seem to not realize, however, is that their matches are so strong because the students themselves are pretty talented. Your performance during and after medical school is all about YOU, and you're the same student regardless of whether you go to JHU or UCLA. If you can match well from Hopkins, you can match well at UCLA.

There are two factors to consider here: (1) location relative to family, and (2) the Wow! factor of the school. I suspect that most SDNers regard the Wow! factor as all-important. My sense of self-worth is deeper than the name of my school.

I don't think Hopkins is a bad school. I don't think UCLA is a bad school. But it is pretty clear to me from reading your post that you want to go to UCLA. So go there. Don't make the mistake that so many others make and allow medical school to be a more dreadful experience than it has to be by going someplace you don't want to be, all for one line on your resume. Is four years of unhappiness (maybe more, if you end up being stuck there for your residency) worth those seven letters, H-O-P-K-I-N-S? I think not.

Hi bobhagopian, I like your comments and suggestions. I totally agree. What you have written is truly great and informative (kind of "wise" too).

im curious as to what the OP decided. if not, good luck with the decision. youre in an enviable position...

y

yeeester said:
im curious as to what the OP decided. if not, good luck with the decision. youre in an enviable position...

y

Yes me too!!!!!!!

Mangos,

Where are you going??????? have you decided yet???

dude, pull the trigger, you'd be crazy not to go to UCLA.

HAve you ever been to Baltimore? :oops:

DoctorMohandes said:
. . .and when they didnt want to go to lecture, they could just get the entire lecture online because everything is taped and put online that same afternoon. something most other schools dont do. . .

I realize the OP has already made his decision by now. I just wanted to respond to this one point. Does Hopkins put audio online or video? Lots of schools are starting to put video. The two I know that do this are Penn and Drexel. I'm curious to know which other schools post videos of lectures that evening on their websites. Anybody know? (This is a big deal for anybody who wants to be able to skip class if necessary, especially people like me who would benefit from class but could potentially use the opportunity to skip class to take care of a baby, and watch lecturs from home :) )

tigress said:
I realize the OP has already made his decision by now. I just wanted to respond to this one point. Does Hopkins put audio online or video? Lots of schools are starting to put video. The two I know that do this are Penn and Drexel. I'm curious to know which other schools post videos of lectures that evening on their websites. Anybody know? (This is a big deal for anybody who wants to be able to skip class if necessary, especially people like me who would benefit from class but could potentially use the opportunity to skip class to take care of a baby, and watch lecturs from home :) )

case has them online for you to watch, and you can also download them on to your school provided laptop and watch them at 2x speed wherever you want

tigress said:

hey, the lectures are taped and the videos are put online. during my interview day i had the chance to sit in on a lecture and all of it was taped by the a/v team, all coordinated with the slide show, etc, and i asked the students whether they do this for all the lectures and they said yes. I then asked why so many people decided to come anyway, and they said cause most of the lectures were pretty interesting, and I honestly have to agree cause the one i sat in was on the most boring subject, but it was an awesome presentation. the lecturer was real interesting/funny/ impressive. i think duke is another one of the schools that does this, although i forgot to ask if they tape all the lectures. the students there didnt come to lecture at all... there were literally 20 people sitting in lecture the day i interviewed at duke, and most were either asleep or playing games on their laptops.

You'reCrazy said:

Not true.

To the OP: If you want to match in California, I think you're fine to save the cash and go to UCLA. Hopkins has a better reputation on the East coast, but UCLA is definitely respected on the West.

Plus, Hopkins has the reputation to be very competitive and intense. I read somewhere that they advertised the fact that even the people on the low end of the class rankings get into a good residency program because of Hopkins' name alone. Take from this what you will. But I thought it was a bizarre thing to brag about. Usually schools claim something like, "all our students have a great experience and usually match in their top 3." Not, "some of our students really struggle to keep up and have a sh1tty time but they still will get into a top residency because we are high-ranked."

What's so great about WashU? Yeah they might be high-ranked but why else would people want to go there? I just dont get it.

although I do not see a post by the OP declaring his/her final decision, I think the OP chose Hopkins, because DoctorMohandes just posted that he received the "happy call" from UCLA, pulling him from the waitlist. Coincidence?? I think not.

My opologies if this is already obvious to everyone, but I thought I would mention it...

yes i did receive the call. but if hopkins were to still call me i would go in an instant. i had absolutely NO idea that i was next on the UCLA waitlist... i signed a lease in San Diego on Sunday and put down a depost, so think what you may. i dont appreciate your comment implying what you do. i told OP that i was on the wl for both and that he/she may take from my comments what he/she may in advance and we actually private messaged eachother as well, and if you read my previous posts on the wl threads you'll see that i emphasized all the schools im waitlisted on including hopkins and UCLA. still waiting to hear from hopkins and again.... id go there in an instant cause i really loved the school. im chosing ucla over ucsd cause im involved in research at ucla, a volunteer at the free clinic, and went there for undergrad and i wanted to continue what im doing there, especially my research. either way, think what you may, i never had, nor will ever have anything to hide from anyone (which is why i posted my acceptance in the first place)

You are reading way too much into my post. I was simply stating that, while the OP did not post his/her decision, I found it (beyond) coincidence that someone, which happened to be you in this case,got pulled of the UCLA waitlist right around the time that he/she would have had to provide a final decision.

Cool your spurrs, pal. Although I hadn't even imagined an unscrupulous motive to your peplies on this post, your overzealous -- even hostile -- assertions to the contrary, in and of themselves, reveal the possibility that such motives may, in fact, have been at play after all.

Bottom line, don't be a schmuck, and congrats.

PatentGuy33 said:
You are reading way too much into my post. I was simply stating that, while the OP did not post his/her decision, I found it (beyond) coincidence that someone, which happened to be you in this case,got pulled of the UCLA waitlist right around the time that he/she would have had to provide a final decision.

Cool your spurrs, pal. Although I hadn't even imagined an unscrupulous motive to your peplies on this post, your overzealous -- even hostile -- assertions to the contrary, in and of themselves, reveal the possibility that such motives may, in fact, have been at play after all.

Bottom line, don't be a schmuck, and congrats.

Yes, but the way you posted was not in the right either.

I don't think that someone else getting off the waitlist tells us anything about the OP's decision, considering that someone else out there may have dropped UCLA too. No one really knows.....

But that said, I somehow think the OP chose Hopkins too.

gujuDoc said:
Yes, but the way you posted was not in the right either.

I don't think that someone else getting off the waitlist tells us anything about the OP's decision, considering that someone else out there may have dropped UCLA too. No one really knows.....

But that said, I somehow think the OP chose Hopkins too.

"In the right"?!?!?! What does that even mean?

I really can't believe you all are so serious about all this. You've got way too much time on your hands, and not enough to be truely worried about.

This was a playful GUESS, (note the "hunch" with a couple winks) based on two events that happen to be quite coincident. The focus was not on Mohondes per se, but the fact that one person got a call at one place that was under consideration by another. A plausible explanation is that the OP declined the UCLA spot, thus opening the spot for another. That's all. period.

hey,
no worries. seriously. thanks for your well wishes. to tell you the truth, the first thing i thought myself when i got the call was that OP must have chosen Hopkins. especially the way the wl was moving at ucla this year. either way, hope everything works out for everyone and everyone is happy with the place they are going to in the fall. i was sincerely happy about SD when i got off the wl and the last thing i ever thought was that i would get pulled off at UCLA. i had a much better feeling about hopkins or upenn. anyway, sorry if i sounded too serious in my last post, i know it looks suspicious to say the least, but i really had no hidden intentions. best of luck to everyone still waiting, and hope OP is happy with his/her choice. either way, OP is definitely much more qualified and a much better applicant than me.

DoctorMohandes said:
either way, OP is definitely much more qualified and a much better applicant than me.

don't put yourself down. you must be special to get interviews at penn, hopkinds, ucla, ucsd..... and to get off the waitlist at many of them. congrats

To DoctorMohandes , I look forward to seeing you at UCLA’s Orientation! That is unless, you get a call from Hopkins today ;) To everyone else, it took a while for me to deliberate, but I can truly say that I am satisfied with my decision. Thank you for all of your help. :love:

mangos said:
To DoctorMohandes , I look forward to seeing you at UCLA’s Orientation! That is unless, you get a call from Hopkins today ;) To everyone else, it took a while for me to deliberate, but I can truly say that I am satisfied with my decision. Thank you for all of your help. :love:

Your welcome, and good luck.

mangos said:

Yay! I'm happy you picked UCLA, mangos. :)

PatentGuy33 said:
"In the right"?!?!?! What does that even mean?

I really can't believe you all are so serious about all this. You've got way too much time on your hands, and not enough to be truely worried about.

This was a playful GUESS, (note the "hunch" with a couple winks) based on two events that happen to be quite coincident. The focus was not on Mohondes per se, but the fact that one person got a call at one place that was under consideration by another. A plausible explanation is that the OP declined the UCLA spot, thus opening the spot for another. That's all. period.

A. You need to take a chill pill.

B. Just as I suspected, and now have been proven right.........
Someone else getting off a waitlist doesn't mean that one random poster chose to reject his seat from that class. Your other post made it seem like you were ASSUMING THAT he rejected his offer based on someone else's acceptance. And sure enough, that was proven to be farther from the truth.

mangos said:
Smart choice, mangos...

Congratulations to you mangos for the decision. :thumbup: I've always been in :love: with Hopkins, but UCLA has a big piece of my heart too. ;)