Help! I am so lost... low gpa, where do I even start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotusktn

Reaction score
Hello. I recently graduated with a BS in Biology with a cGPA of 2.85. I've transferred to 4 different schools due to being the caregiver of my grandmother who has multiple health issues over these past years. I was in 2 different PharmD programs but by the end of it, I decided I no longer wanted to be a pharmacist.

Is applying to DO programs far-fetched? I am determined to do whatever it takes to re-invent myself. But I have no idea where to start. ECs? SMP (I don't think I even meet the gpa requirement to get into a SMP)? Research? Any advice would help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello. I recently graduated with a BS in Biology with a cGPA of 2.85. I've transferred to 4 different schools due to being the caregiver of my grandmother who has multiple health issues over these past years. I was in 2 different PharmD programs but by the end of it, I decided I no longer wanted to be a pharmacist.

Is applying to DO programs far-fetched? I am determined to do whatever it takes to re-invent myself. But I have no idea where to start. ECs? SMP (I don't think I even meet the gpa requirement to get into a SMP)? Research? Any advice would help.
DO schools tend to reward reinvention, but your first priority should be to increase your GPA to at least 3.0. Not sure what the minimums are to get into SMPs, but make sure you turn over every stone in your search. Your path to DO may be further complicated by the fact that you dropped out of two separate PharmD programs. Don’t worry about taking the MCAT until you can raise that GPA. There are also other options you can pursue like Podiatry.

Edit: this link may be helpful to get your search started. Keep in mind this thread is from 2014 and requirements may have changed since then.

List of Post-Baccs for 2.7-3.0 GPA Students

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
DIY post-bacc for 2 semesters to bump that GPA above a 3.0, hopefully closer to a 3.2.
Take next summer to study for MCAT and score 502+.
Make sure you do some EC's as well - shadowing, clinical/non-clinical volunteering, and get a DO letter of rec

Do these 3 and you could get an acceptance for 2024 class.

The fact that you dropped out of 2 professional program is going to raise some eyebrows however.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 users
Careful, if you mention Podiatry too many times in the Pre DO forum, people get their jimmies ruffled.
Lol do you come on SDN to push the Pod profession to try and change the "world view" of it?
You crack me up bro haha.

Go into Pod if you can't get into a US medical school OP.

Reactions: 2 users
With a 2.85 AND dropping from two pharmacy programs you all think a 1-2 year post bac to hit 3.0 is going to help? Seems like full reinvention is needed and more than two years. Im no expert in this situation but move to Texas and get a job....wait 1-3 years and start taking courses and fresh start as an adult. I say adult because even if you didnt want to become a pharm you should have finished so you could make $45/hr instead of the $10-$12 you are about to get used to earning until you get things straight :/

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I was in 2 different PharmD programs but by the end of it, I decided I no longer wanted to be a pharmacist.
What happened that you had to be in 2 programs?

What's happened that you no longer want Parmacy degree?

Why DO and not something else?

What was the problem during undergrad and graduate education and how have you changed?

These are some of the questions that you have to answer to yourself and probably later on.

Sometimes people think that running away from something they failed at and starting something new will resolve issues. Make sure you have good reasons why you consider DO and that issues have been resolved. You don't want to run into more debt and fail again.

Realistically it's probably not going to happen. You're applying against a pool of rockstars that have had 'it' together for their entire academic careers. If there's anything the admission/med school game teaches you is that none of us is a special snowflake. Especially with having dropped out of *2* professional programs, I'd imagine you'd be marked as a high risk application lacking the scores to show academic focus; yes life sucks sometimes, but you'd be surprised how many students facing difficult circumstances can still rock their academics.

Be realistic about your goals. PA may be a more realistic career goal (though still *extremely* competitive).

If you were serious about becoming a doc, I'd say your first step is to spend a serious amount of effort studying for the MCAT. If you can't break a high score I'd strongly consider chasing another profession. Think about it this way... if you end up in med school you'll be competing against the same people that maintained high GPA's and crushed the MCAT, the only difference is that you'll be committed to a medical career with $300k of risk. Life stressors *still* come up in med school, and if you haven't learned to manage them, they will eat you alive.

Good luck! If you choose to pursue medicine, MCAT and crushing it is a good first step.

Realistically it's probably not going to happen. You're applying against a pool of rockstars that have had 'it' together for their entire academic careers. If there's anything the admission/med school game teaches you is that none of us is a special snowflake. Especially with having dropped out of *2* professional programs, I'd imagine you'd be marked as a high risk application lacking the scores to show academic focus; yes life sucks sometimes, but you'd be surprised how many students facing difficult circumstances can still rock their academics.

Be realistic about your goals. PA may be a more realistic career goal (though still *extremely* competitive).

If you were serious about becoming a doc, I'd say your first step is to spend a serious amount of effort studying for the MCAT. If you can't break a high score I'd strongly consider chasing another profession. Think about it this way... if you end up in med school you'll be competing against the same people that maintained high GPA's and crushed the MCAT, the only difference is that you'll be committed to a medical career with $300k of risk. Life stressors *still* come up in med school, and if you haven't learned to manage them, they will eat you alive.

Good luck! If you choose to pursue medicine, MCAT and crushing it is a good first step.
I’ll agree with part one. The second part about taking the MCAT is terrible advice... very bad, not good advice. You think OP should take the MCAT? Even if OP could rock a 515 how’s he going to apply with a 2.8gpa and dropout from two pharmacy programs..... Now he’s going to spend years raising his gpa while that MCAT score expires...

I’ll agree with part one. The second part about taking the MCAT is terrible advice... very bad, not good advice. You think OP should take the MCAT? Even if OP could rock a 515 how’s he going to apply with a 2.8gpa and dropout from two pharmacy programs..... Now he’s going to spend years raising his gpa while that MCAT score expires...

Thank you for the reminder that MCAT scores expire. I plan on bringing up my GPA first and depending on how long that takes, I will plan accordingly to take the MCAT.

Your response is what I expect. With a low GPA and dropping out of 2 profession programs, I understand that I am not a strong candidate. I am trying to get a feel for whether or not admissions actually take consideration of reinvention and will take the time to understand why I transferred to many different schools etc. I am afraid after bringing up my GPA and taking the MCATs, the DO goal is still unrealistic.

After encountering the difficult circumstances I have faced these past academic years, it is what actually pushed me to pursue DO. They were life lessons/mistakes I will not allow myself to repeat. With this determination, I believe I can go through medical school. That is of course if I can get into a DO program

You should find a way to finish the Pharm program you left, then your story would be different.