CREIGHTON

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Status
I don't know if anyone can give me any advice or any leads. I am off by a semster. I am matching for June/July, but I just graduated and have a couple months where nothing is happening. I don't have financial aid anymore because I am no longer a student. I need to find a job, but I am having difficulty. I found something that is min wage, but I am having trouble making ends meet. I am on the job hunt, monster ect., but I am getting the run around. I live in chicago. Got any advice or leads?

PleseDontTuchMe

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
CREIGHTON said:
I don't know if anyone can give me any advice or any leads. I am off by a semster. I am matching for June/July, but I just graduated and have a couple months where nothing is happening. I don't have financial aid anymore because I am no longer a student. I need to find a job, but I am having difficulty. I found something that is min wage, but I am having trouble making ends meet. I am on the job hunt, monster ect., but I am getting the run around. I live in chicago. Got any advice or leads?
Greetings. I am in the same situation on the west coast. Amazing how unqualified one is for a real job after graduating from medical school. I have tried temp agencies and construction but have yet to find anything I wouldn't mind doing for several months... Good luck. PDTM :cool:

jacksmak

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
Status
CREIGHTON said:
I found a slightly better than min wage job at the end of my fourth year temping as a medical assistant. You might try a temp agency that specializes in medical staffing. The one I worked with in St. Louis said some of their best temps were medical students.

OP
C

CREIGHTON

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Status
Do you know of any web sites for medical staffing?

jacksmak

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
Status
I had to go through the yellow pages to find them. The only one I know currently in Indianahealthcareers.com. I'm sure if you were to google it something would turn up. Voltlifesciences also has temp jobs for medical writing (translating medicalese for the suits in the company that lack the vocabulary, and well as some clinical science positions, but there contracts are generally at least six months. Good luck.

pikachu

15+ Year Member
look for a position as a clinical or lab research assistant somewhere at your school. I was in a similar situation before med school and found a position as a research assistant without too much difficulty. A lot of places are either desperate for someone competent, so they will hire you even if they know you will only be there for a short time, or only need help for a limited period of time.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2000
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A doctor suggested to me to try to find a job in the ER,after graduation from med. school.
I think that from what I've seen so far, research positions seem to be the best chance for a med. grad.
(but if you want to just make a lot of money and not worry about the experience, you could be a waiter/waitress at a nice restaurant and earn lots of tips!)
Surprisingly,it's not easy for us to find jobs related to medicine!

dry dre

All hat, no cattle
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Consider substitute teaching? $75-$150 a day. Must get a certificate in your state, usually pretty easy these days in many states.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
dry dre said:
Consider substitute teaching? $75-$150 a day. Must get a certificate in your state, usually pretty easy these days in many states.
WTF, consider stripping. Pay can be as much as 1 grand tax free a day.
See reference below.

Speaker tells Palo Alto students that stripping can be lucrative
- BILEN MESFIN, Associated Press Writer
Thursday, January 13, 2005

(01-13) 16:55 PST SAN FRANCISCO (AP) --

School officials in Palo Alto are reconsidering their use of a popular speaker for an annual career day after he advised middle school students that they could earn a good living as strip dancers.

William Fried told eighth-graders at Jane Lathrop Stanford Middle School that stripping and exotic dancing could be lucrative career moves for girls, offering as much as $250,000 or more per year, depending on their bust size.

"It's sick, but it's true," Fried, president of Foster City's Precision Selling, a management consulting firm, told The Associated Press. "The truth of the matter is you can earn a tremendous amount of money as an exotic dancer, if that's your desire."