HELP!!! I Need Some Advice....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHCMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now, I am in real need of support and advice.

I just left my Gen Biol II Class after getting our second exam back...and I FAILED it with a 54!...Prof. says we can take an oral exam and bring the grade up to a a 60 which is passing. Then if its the lowest of our four exams we can drop it...ok well that's all fine and dandy...I got a B on the first exam, and i will be studying my behind off for the third and fourth exam...and even complete the 10 hours in the Biol Lab for an extra 10 points...so I'm pretty confident that I can pull an A out of this class...If I just apply myself.

Last semester was my first semester back in school...and I loved every bit of it...in Biol I aced all my exams and got an easy A...Math, was a different story because of the instructor...and although I attended the class and took the final...I had to take an administrative W for the class rather than get a C.

I know for a fact that I can study this stuff, learn it and get A's in all my classes if I just apply myself. It's just that somewhere around thanksgiving I lost my focus, and I haven't been able to regain it again. And this semester has really been kicking my butt!!! I can't really seem to fall into a good rhythm of balancing school, work/finances, and life...Here we are a week before spring break, and I feel like I'm just getting started and soooo far behind?

And then there's this second exam...I went to class everyday...I studied but I didn't study as much as I should have...and to top it off I've been sick for the last four weeks...with extremely high HBP and sinus headaches every single day for the last four weeks...and this past Sunday, the day before the Exam, I damn near had a stroke because my BP was so high!!!, so naturally I couldn't even study for the exam...I have since obtained my BP medicine and for the last three days of this week have been feeling much better...

so what do I do? ...How do I pump myself back up and get my butt in gear...and who knows a good way to study for math...cause I just can't seem to get that down...what the heck do I do? I don't know why but I'm just so confused right now....Please HELP...anyone?

Thanks!!!! for any and all advice....

P.S. oh...and i'm also dealing with an aging parent...something I really don't want to deal with...if you know what I mean (facing the death of a parent)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is best to put things into perspective. It is one exam. I have failed "one" exam in my life before (ironically an intro to bio exam, and I ended up majoring in biology (with lots of As in upper level classes)). I actually managed to forget that I had an exam on that day (I was a freshman in college).

In your shoes, I'd slow down. It's better to take less classes and get straight As than more and do badly in them. Tackle one class at a time till you are getting As, and then build on this slowly. It's much more important once you take on the more challenging classes like organic chemistry to be able to dedicate yourself fully to studying.

For motivation, the question to ask yourself is how much do you really want this? If the answer is, you're not sure, quit now. If you know you really do, then good luck and keep on trekking.

Right now, I am in real need of support and advice.

I just left my Gen Biol II Class after getting our second exam back...and I FAILED it with a 54!...Prof. says we can take an oral exam and bring the grade up to a a 60 which is passing. Then if its the lowest of our four exams we can drop it...ok well that's all fine and dandy...I got a B on the first exam, and i will be studying my behind off for the third and fourth exam...and even complete the 10 hours in the Biol Lab for an extra 10 points...so I'm pretty confident that I can pull an A out of this class...If I just apply myself.

Last semester was my first semester back in school...and I loved every bit of it...in Biol I aced all my exams and got an easy A...Math, was a different story because of the instructor...and although I attended the class and took the final...I had to take an administrative W for the class rather than get a C.

I know for a fact that I can study this stuff, learn it and get A's in all my classes if I just apply myself. It's just that somewhere around thanksgiving I lost my focus, and I haven't been able to regain it again. And this semester has really been kicking my butt!!! I can't really seem to fall into a good rhythm of balancing school, work/finances, and life...Here we are a week before spring break, and I feel like I'm just getting started and soooo far behind?

And then there's this second exam...I went to class everyday...I studied but I didn't study as much as I should have...and to top it off I've been sick for the last four weeks...with extremely high HBP and sinus headaches every single day for the last four weeks...and this past Sunday, the day before the Exam, I damn near had a stroke because my BP was so high!!!, so naturally I couldn't even study for the exam...I have since obtained my BP medicine and for the last three days of this week have been feeling much better...

so what do I do? ...How do I pump myself back up and get my butt in gear...and who knows a good way to study for math...cause I just can't seem to get that down...what the heck do I do? I don't know why but I'm just so confused right now....Please HELP...anyone?

Thanks!!!! for any and all advice....

P.S. oh...and i'm also dealing with an aging parent...something I really don't want to deal with...if you know what I mean (facing the death of a parent)

Last edited:
it's been kind of hard for me lately too
mcat is scaring me to death.
but i am recovering. because.. i stopped thinking about it. and just.. do it.
what pumping up? just..you know, ass power! the power to sit my ass down on the chair and stick on it for 5 hours...
hmm.. i got nothing for you on math. math has always been easy for me.
do lots of problems ususally helps? i usually do all the homework problems twice. + outside book problems.. hmm twice?
then i get 97% for all my math classes. i took my last calculus class at age 16.. so it's been like.. 9 years, but i assume calculus hasn't changed.

having similar troubles but less intense.
this is my first semester back in school since 2007, not so long off. but focusing has been a problem for me. i struggle with sleeping problems, so on top of working a stressful 9-5 and taking 2 demanding courses, i can't sleep, so focusing/time management has been tough for me.
i find that getting up super early, before everyone else, and trying to get as much done in that silent time as possible, is beneficial to me. additionally, getting away from ANY distractions for a good chunk of time is also good.
i think i'm still finding my groove, and you will too. sounds like you're having a tough time. perhaps take a previous responder's advice and stick with one class at a time to start?
:thumbup: