Help! I want to withdraw an acceptance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychsess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading past threads about this, but I wanted to get some real time feedback because I'm in such a jam. I accepted an offer about two weeks ago because they were pushing me for an answer. I accepted via email but have received nothing yet via regular mail and have not sent a deposit. Today I got a call from my top choice program, where I don't have to relocate and the the school is such a perfect fit. They offered me a spot, and I told them my situation. They said they would hold my spot until I could figure out whether I can do anything about this.
Is there anything I can do---or would it pretty much ruin my name to ask to withdraw from my current program? I'm so confused and upset.
Thank you for ANY help.

Members don't see this ad.

To my knowledge, if a candidate gets a late wait-list offer after already accepting an offer from another school, then they can accept the late offer as long as they get a written release from the school they originally said yes to. If it's right for you then go for it! If you don't, you'll always think "what if...?" Good luck!

First off...it won't ruin your name. Just give the current school a call and explain the situation. You won't be the first, and you won't be the last that this happens to.

Congrats on getting your top choice!

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
if it's a professional school (which I assume it is since you had to send a deposit), just accept at the new program and don't worry about it. . . they're businesses, you are under no obligation to buy their product.

I love the fact that even in Jon's wonderful words of wisdom and profound insight, there is always a faint condescending undertone emanating from his posts!;)

Yes, it is a professional school, but it's part of a very good university. When I accepted the offer, I got an email back saying just as a reminder this is a binding committment. Gosh, what a mess. Thank you all for your help!! Just when I thought this whole thing was over....the stress never ends!! :)

I didn't realise acceptance was binding!:eek: Or is this just relevant to professional schools?

Psychness,

Just send a very nice email to the school you accepted to and say "I'm very sorry for the inconvenience but due to 'something' circumstances I must withdraw my acceptance"....... blah blah. what are they gonna say? "No, you must come here". The worst case scenario is you would lose your deposit but you haven't even sent it so you're lucky! You should go to the school you want and not worry about possibly offending someone. These things happen and they'll understand. Congrats!! :D

It is bad form to accept and then retract.

There's bad form, and there's what's best for the applicant. Retract the offer and go to your first choice. The other school won't burn to the ground because of it.

It's also bad form for schools to pressure applicants into making decisions before the deadline, as the OP mentioned.

I think it is great that the forum is so supportive. With that said, I understand people's thoughts on what to do. Do honor the commitment I made to the school I really don't want to go or do I retract my acceptance for a better acceptance?

People write go for it! Congrats! ect. Is this good news well yes and no. On one hand you get what you really want you've worked for--that's great. On the other hand, by accepting the first offer you may have taken someone's spot who really wanted it.

Is it bad form, yes, you are breaking a binding commitment and I'm sure the APA would agree...

PS If this is a non APA school than maybe the above does not apply...

On the other hand, by accepting the first offer you may have taken someone's spot who really wanted it.

I don't think if the OP withdrew at this point, that the school would have a very difficult time filling her spot. Universities, private or public can offer secondary admissions at any time before the program begins.

My thoughts on the situation.... You were pressured into accepting and did so before the deadline. You haven't signed anything or sent in a deposit CONFIRMING your wishes to be in the program (isn't that why you send in the deposit?).

No, this isn't an ideal situation, for anyone. But this is your life and your next 5-7 years. Why are you going to relocate and go to a university that you haven't confirmed your acceptance to, why you have an offer to go to a local school that is your top choice?

This to me is a no brainer. Call the original school and withdraw your acceptance politely and apologetically. Then call the new school and formally accept, and do so in writing. Then jump up and down, scream and yell and celebrate! CONGRATS.

The first school isn't gong to cry or go out of business. They will find some other eager student to fill your spot. I think your focus should be on your happiness and professional goals for the next period of your life.

I would spend about 5 seconds making this decision. Regardless of the school, I would not want any student who did not want to be there. Go to the school of your choice, write an appropriate letter to the school you are rejecting. Take the financial consequences if any and go on to a long and prosperous career.