help if possible.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

febe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask for help before but didn't feel comfortable posting my status in here since my status is very low comparing to other members in here.
My gpa is 2.834 and science 2.66 for my undergrad, did research, semester of shadowing experience.
DAT score 17/17/17 for science, 17 for pat and 14RC and 14 QC. English is my second language. I don't know what happened to Math part, I guess I freaked out after my english section since I had computor problem. This is my second time applying. I know I won't get in this cycle though I got one interview and few holds. I don't know what to do improve my status, I know you guys would suggest post bac but I was thinking about something that I would find job in future if dentistry wouldn't work out even though dentistry is what I really want to do. I was thinking about Master in Nursing. What do you guys suggest??? Also what other things I should do to make my appiication more strong. Would really appreciate help.

Members don't see this ad.

febe said:
I wanted to ask for help before but didn't feel comfortable posting my status in here since my status is very low comparing to other members in here.
My gpa is 2.834 and science 2.66 for my undergrad, did research, semester of shadowing experience.
DAT score 17/17/17 for science, 17 for pat and 14RC and 14 QC. English is my second language. I don't know what happened to Math part, I guess I freaked out after my english section since I had computor problem. This is my second time applying. I know I won't get in this cycle though I got one interview and few holds. I don't know what to do improve my status, I know you guys would suggest post bac but I was thinking about something that I would find job in future if dentistry wouldn't work out even though dentistry is what I really want to do. I was thinking about Master in Nursing. What do you guys suggest??? Also what other things I should do to make my appiication more strong. Would really appreciate help.

How about training to be a dental hygenist febe? Have you considered that. The only reason I am suggesting it is because you are thinking about pursuing Nursing. Food for thought :). Let me know if you have any questions.

You had computer problems while taking your DAT? Maybe your score is low because of computer error? The reason I ask is because it has happened to me... it's rare but it happens and if you're not lucky, you'd never know and will think you just did poorly at your own fault. If its not the case, then that's good but if you're suspicious then you should try retaking DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If dentistry is what you really want to do, don't give up on it. Understand that you will have to put some more work than others into getting in. I highly recommend doing a post-bac and retaking the DAT. With some hard work studying for the DAT, I think almost anyone can get high marks. Don't give up!

I agree with what the other people have said, post-bacc can do wonders for convincing adcoms that you've turned things around and are capable of doing very well academically. As for the DAT, it really isn't a difficult test if you put in plenty of time studying for it. Take a Kaplan class if you need to, but do as many practice tests and problems as you can get your hands on. If you really want to be a dentist and aren't afraid to work hard, then you can do it.

I agree that postbac is the way to go for you. Although experience in the field would help you, it's important to have a better GPA since alot of schools tend to narrow their applicant lists that way. Doing well in a one year program like upenn will help you and if you show a marked improvement, I think that your stellar postbac GPA will definitely outweigh your lower undergrad one.

Also work on your DAT's. Taking it more than once is no biggie, and I think even with 18's and 19's you should be fine.

Hope this helps.
:)

your scores also seem to correlate well with Howard and Meherry dental schools. Did you apply there? Don't give up on the dream! Apply to some post bacc programs get that GPA higher and go get em!

i think that applying to a nursing program might give the adcoms a hunch that you aren't interested in denstistry. i agree that it is a good idea to have something to fall back on, but im not sure nursing will leave the right impression. i agree w/ whoever said to try a hygenist program because this will definitely show your interest.

LadyxJC said:
You had computer problems while taking your DAT? Maybe your score is low because of computer error? The reason I ask is because it has happened to me... it's rare but it happens and if you're not lucky, you'd never know and will think you just did poorly at your own fault. If its not the case, then that's good but if you're suspicious then you should try retaking DAT.

My friend was able to re-take the DAT without the 90 day wait and her scores were voided because the computer froze but the timer didn't. She just contacted the ADEA and they investigated and decided in her favor.

I did talked to the ADA about the computor problem and they did let me take it again w/o 90 day wait period. I called my first choice school for their opinion on whether I should retake it or not but they kept on saying I shouldn't retake it. I talked to the admissions director and he said perfect DAT doesn't garuntee an acceptance so I guess indirectly he saying I should raise up my gpa. Also told me to let this score decide this cycle since it's kinda late in the cycle. The school that I went for an Interview, assistant admission director stressed strongly that she thinks that I wont be able to catch up with the reading by looking at my DAT score and I tried to explain her that I had computor problem but I know she won't buy that since english is my second language so I figured it's rejection there.

LadyxJC said:

No way - I thought i was the only one this happened to!!! My timer wasn't on the ENTIRE time :( :( :( Apparently the little intro at the beginning didn't work so I couldn't ask for the timer in the first place, then when I raised my hand, the proctor said that I was taking time out of my test!

Then, for the reading section, it didn't list the passage under every question like it did on the practice CD! I was SOOOOO pissed, but I didn't do anything about it because I was okay with my scores and also, it ended up giving me more time in math than I'd thought. Since math ended up being my lowest score, I thought I'd cut my losses.

But wow, 3 computer errors!! The ADA should certainly know something about this! I'm sure it's fewer errors than if it was still on paper, but STILL!

And febe, I think when the admissions person said that people with perfect DAT scores sometimes don't get in, he or she was saying that other things are taken into consideration. However, raising all of your scores and improving as many aspects as you can of your application can help you feel better about your chances and will definitely get you some great interviews!

Taking a class is a good investment (especially since re-applying is so expensive), and trying to stay within dentistry is a fine idea too. Otherwise, they may think that you're fine with ANY health field and may not think you're totally steadfast in your goal to be involved in the BEST kind of medicine there is - dentistry! :D

I'mFillingFine said:
No way - I thought i was the only one this happened to!!! My timer wasn't on the ENTIRE time :( :( :( Apparently the little intro at the beginning didn't work so I couldn't ask for the timer in the first place, then when I raised my hand, the proctor said that I was taking time out of my test!

Then, for the reading section, it didn't list the passage under every question like it did on the practice CD! I was SOOOOO pissed, but I didn't do anything about it because I was okay with my scores and also, it ended up giving me more time in math than I'd thought. Since math ended up being my lowest score, I thought I'd cut my losses.

OOOHHH im reporting you .... haha JK

-OB- said:
My friend was able to re-take the DAT without the 90 day wait and her scores were voided because the computer froze but the timer didn't. She just contacted the ADEA and they investigated and decided in her favor.

I was also allowed to retake it without the 90 day wait but what concerns me is that I would have never known that the computer error lowered my score significantly, had I not finished the section early and had time to review my answers.

What happened to me was that the computer froze on me during the last section (QR). And when I told one of the proctors, they couldn't do anything so he restarted my computer. When it turned back on, the screen brought me back to the question I was on so I thought everything was okay. But when I finished the section, I had about 2 minutes left and I was able to review my answers for that section. That's when I realized that all the answers to the questions I answered before the computer froze cleared :eek: I obviously didn't have enough time to redo all of them and so got a low score for the QR section. My point is, had I not finished 2 minutes early, I wouldn't have been able to review my answers and wouldn't have known that the answers were cleared. I called the proctor over and showed him how the answers have cleared and he filed a report... but the only thing he reported was that the computer froze during the exam and that that may have been a factor why the earlier questions weren't answered. He said he had no proof that I didn't answer those because I didn't know them so couldn't state the computer problem as the absolute reason... :mad:

I see all these posts about a post bacc helping a poor gpa. This may have been true in the past, but I am going through this and have found no luck. I have a low undergrad gpa my dat is average and have a grad gpa in chemistry above 3.5. I interviewed at louisville last year and one of my interviewers told me he would not look at this because it was to narrow of study, and then went on to say "why did you choose chemistry, one of the hardest subjects to study". I felt like he contradicted himself with these to statments, but what do I have to say about it I'm a bias opinion. I think I may have ticked this guy off from the start telling him I was trying to get residency in Kentucky, he did not seem to happy about this. Anyway, good luck and hope you have better luck than me!