Help, I'm a little lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K.D.

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a 3rd-year B.S Psychology student in the Philippines and I need some advice...

I was hoping to maybe apply for a medical school in the U.S or in Canada and as I was researching and asking some of the admissions staff, I was told that non-US/Canadian residents or non-permanent resident students are not eligible to apply for medical schools there.

So, I decided to maybe I should apply for universities in the US or in Canada for me to take my missing pre-requisites for 2 years and then maybe apply for a permanent residency, and then when approved I can try and apply for med schools.

How does my plan look? does it look impossible? Please be honest, I really need advice from you guys!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm a 3rd-year B.S Psychology student in the Philippines and I need some advice...

I was hoping to maybe apply for a medical school in the U.S or in Canada and as I was researching and asking some of the admissions staff, I was told that non-US/Canadian residents or non-permanent resident students are not eligible to apply for medical schools there.

So, I decided to maybe I should apply for universities in the US or in Canada for me to take my missing pre-requisites for 2 years and then maybe apply for a permanent residency, and then when approved I can try and apply for med schools.

How does my plan look? does it look impossible? Please be honest, I really need advice from you guys!

Thank you!
to apply/get permanent residency you need to either:
1)get married
2) have a special work visa with employer who is willing to sponsor a green card,
3) apply for political asylum
4) win a green card lottery

you cannot apply based on the length of stay in the country. it is not a thing.

otherwise, plan looks good. I mean, get here, get prereqs, and once you get your permanent residency or a citizenship apply to medical school.

understand that this will be a VERY VERY long and painful process (i have first hand knowledge)

to apply/get permanent residency you need to either:
1)get married
2) have a special work visa with employer who is willing to sponsor a green card,
3) apply for political asylum
4) win a green card lottery

you cannot apply based on the length of stay in the country. it is not a thing.

otherwise, plan looks good. I mean, get here, get prereqs, and once you get your permanent residency or a citizenship apply to medical school.

understand that this will be a VERY VERY long and painful process (i have first hand knowledge)
Hi! are you also an international medical student in either of them? I'm only wondering since you said that you have first-hand knowledge :) and if you are what did you do to get in (if it is not too much trouble)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! are you also an international medical student in either of them? I'm only wondering since you said that you have first-hand knowledge :) and if you are what did you do to get in (if it is not too much trouble)?
i was an international student for undergrad, than got my citizenship through military (there used to be a special program that allowed that) and then i could apply to medical school. I had wanted to go to medical school for years before that, but couldnt do that till i got my citizenship or green card. this is what i mean.

i was an international student for undergrad, than got my citizenship through military (there used to be a special program that allowed that) and then i could apply to medical school. I had wanted to go to medical school for years before that, but couldnt do that till i Oh got my citizenship or green card. this is what i mean.
Oh wow, I understand now and I'll take note of the things you mentioned earlier. Thank you so much and Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user