Help in going into EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

possibledoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a MS3 (US Med school/citizen) and wanting to go into EM. Seems to be the most fit field for me. However, I have one negative aspect - which is my Step I (little above a 205). I know the field is getting competitive and was wondering if I should stay with EM or consider a different field

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you MD or DO? My advice mainly pertains if you are a MD student.

I had a lower step 1 (under 200) and still got plenty of interviews (over 20). However, this is because I had a huge improvement on step 2 and did very well on my EM rotations. Also I applied to a ton of programs.

At this point EM is a valid possibility BUT you are going to have to work very hard for the next 10 months to make it happen. You need to take step 2 by the end of July. Just realize that if your step 2 is sub-par or you don't do so hot on your EM rotations then your chances are going to be pretty poor. Also please note you are not going to end up in the west coast or a "top-tier" program.

I'd suggest at this point you need to figure out a backup plan incase you need it.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it will be hard, but you can probably make it work. Do well on rotations. Take Step 2 CK early AND do much better than Step 1. Be impressive and helpful on your EM rotations. Apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies...I am an MD...and I was going to apply broadly and nothing in the top tier...our school doesn't have any rotations in our third year for EM and we end third year in august which is when I would get a chance to take Step 2 and then I would start fourth year in September

I'm really no expert but I did apply this year and got a good amount if interviews 22 interviews for 23 places I applied. Like others said as it stands you have an uphill battle. The single thing you can do is do well on step 2. I applied with a really good step 1 and studied my ass off for that. I maybe put in 1/4th the effort to step 2 and scored better than step 1. You don't have that luxury. Scoring really well on step 2 could essentially erase your poor step 1 score. You need to take step 2 as serious if not more so than step 1 as it could really eliminate your uphill battle if you do well. Step 2 is easier than step 1 so take advantage of that.

The next step is doing well on your EM rotations. In my interviews I got far more comments on my EM grades, slors, and comments than I did on my step scores. Getting honors in EM and great comments/slors is not rocket science. Here is Junge's guide to honoring an EM rotation. Take it with a grain if salt but u did get honors in 3 of 3 EM rotations 2 at "big names" and was emailed the comments that my residents and attendings wrote about me.

Like any rotation show up early and stay late. This shouldn't be hard because most student rotations are 8-9 hour shifts. Also in my opinion EM values the "team effort" more than other specialties. What I am saying is as a student you will probably only have two patients at a time, at least that is my experience. You are not there to move patients. While you are waiting for labs to come back or your patient is off for the CT you will have downtime. Don't just sit there; tell the nurses to grab you to start IVs. Most will be more than willing to teach you how to start them. After a few you can do them on your own and not only will the nurses love you for cutting down on their work but you can gain the skill and the residents and attendings will notice this. A comment on my slor was "a real team player. Insert name was starting IVs for the nursing staff. The whole department wanted insert name to stay a few more weeks." Second if there is a procedure in the department try to do it or at least watch it. I didn't do a single LP but watched many. Watching is better than sitting at the desk. Next I previously said you are not there to move patients but that is what the ED is all about. There is one aspect that a student can actually help move patients and that is lac repairs. Pick up all the lacs you can. If you don't pick them up offer to do them for the resident. As a student you are still honing your procedure skill and while you may not be allowed to do chest tubes, central lines ect. You can do lacs. You can work on your technique and free up your resident/attending to see other patients. Not only do you get to get more skills but also gets comments like "insert name did whatever he could to help the flow of the ed. He did an excellent job with a complex finger laceration while allowing me to see more patients. I would really enjoy working with insert name as he values teamwork." A resident or attending is proficient on lacs but you are not. You get to get your hands dirty and there is no more appreciative resident/attending than one that had a med student save them even 10 minutes even if you took 30 minutes to do it they just had to spend 30 seconds checking your work. The last thing is being nice to your patients. Your attendings have been doing this for 10-30 years. They have the right to be judgementsl or cynical. You don't. My second patient in the ed was a slam dunk drug seeker and I presented as that. I got slammed by my attending that I didn't have the knowledge to determine that and really I didn't. Luckily I got to work with that attending a few more times and got to prove that I was actually thinking of diagnoses before I jumped to that. With that said be nice to all your patients. You are a med student and have the most time out of anyone in the department. You have the time to really sit down and explain tests, diagnoses, or just talk. Believe me as "burnt out" as some EP's are they still enjoy patient care and your attendings will ask your patients what they thought about you. On one of my always I was assigned a "mentor" who was solely responsible for my grade. Little did I know she asked every patient what they thought of me. It ended up with a moment "med student _____ was really liked by all his patients. One patient even asked for Dr. Med student to come back to explain what I had told them. _____ is an asset to his patients."

Lastly if you want EM go for it. There are a lot of programs. I interviewed at 15 and would feel confident training at any of them. Even if you do poorly on step 2 this is not the time to save. Spending even extra $3,000 is pennies compared to the amount you spent on med school. Also $3,000 now may mean you make another $250,000 for the year youeould have spent doing a transitional year.

Sorry a very long post but I wanted to tell you the things that I felt I did right during my rotations. I think you will be just fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry I have many typos in that post. I am writing in my phone and auto correct gets me.

Make sure you have a Plan B in the event you don't match in EM.

Thanks for your help guys! That clears a lot of questions in my mind. What other specialities should I consider as for Plan B? Do residencies look down upon applying to two different specialities?

Thanks for your help guys! That clears a lot of questions in my mind. What other specialities should I consider as for Plan B? Do residencies look down upon applying to two different specialities?

Last question: Not necessarily. Also, they only know if you/your letters tell them.

Nothing quite like EM. The standard is using IM or FP as a backup. I would suggest IM as the better choice if you hate clinic and prefer hospital work, possibly more advanced procedures, can stand rounding, or plan to specialize. FP sees a huge gamut of people quickly and long term patient care.

If you like shiftwork and making your own schedule, don't really care for long term patient interaction, don't mind the intensity of EM, you can also consider being a hospitalist (still IM though).

Last thing you can do is consider pre-lim if you plan on reapplying. If you consider going into IM later on, the prelim year will be helpful. Just know that pre-lim will help you look competitive but you won't be as competitive as you could have been in 4th year. Also know that your year probably won't make you a PGY-2 when you do enter an EM program.