Help in Pharmacology (Pre-Anesthetics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hypnagogue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey partners good morning, I hope you are having a wonderful time, I am not.

I am studying about the phenotiazine derivatives, and well I have a really sucky teacher that cant tell me how they work, she just tells me the effect (sedation), but not how it binds to the D2 receptor, as an antagonist (according to veternary pharmacology and therapeutics 9th edition).

I know that the D2 receptor acts with a Gi protein that reduces the amount of cAMP, and therefore inhibits the post sinaptic neuron.

But how if the, D2 receptor inhibits, its inhibition with a phenotiazine derivative produces sedation and depression of the CNS? Also I know that if it acts as an antagonist of the D2 receptor (which also contains D3 and D4), it enhances the action of the D1 (and I believe D5, cuz I dont think it is that specific), which does't inhibit.

Please help, I have read other books and articles and can't find the answer, bothering here with this questions really is the las thing I want to do.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

SDN really isn't the place for homework, so don't be surprised if your thread gets closed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend taking a look at the pharm books by Boothe and by Maddison. Generally, if I don't find the information I need there I may check out Bertone's Big Red, but after that I acknowledge that the information may not be readily available.