Quantcast

Help Interpreting a Secondary Question

Free Sample Essays
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowsnice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at NYU's secondary questions and was wondering about this one:

The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?

Can I interpret this as an overcoming a challenge type question? For example, I wrote about overcoming a public speaking fear for other secondaries. Can this technically be called a personal accomplishment? Or do they want something more tangible like running a marathon or something like that?

jd989898

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overcoming fear of public speaking seems like weak material for the prompt. I think there's a distinction between overcoming a challenge and achieving an accomplishment. To put it into simple terms, I think an achievement is something you could mention to almost anyone and leave them impressed. On the other hand, overcoming a challenge isn't something you would bring up to everyone; It's more of a triumph over a personal struggle to be happy about on a private, personal level.

tl;dr
An "achievement/accomplishment" would be a win for anyone.
"Overcoming a challenge" is a win only for those people presented with that challenge.

Reactions: 1 user

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at NYU's secondary questions and was wondering about this one:

The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?

Can I interpret this as an overcoming a challenge type question? For example, I wrote about overcoming a public speaking fear for other secondaries. Can this technically be called a personal accomplishment? Or do they want something more tangible like running a marathon or something like that?

no, it isnt an overcoming question directly looking for what you did, how you did it and what you learned from it. however if, you are most proud of something that you over came and discuss it as to why your proud of it, especially something non-academic in nature, then you can do so

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overcoming fear of public speaking seems like weak material for the prompt. I think there's a distinction between overcoming a challenge and achieving an accomplishment. To put it into simple terms, I think an achievement is something you could mention to almost anyone and leave them impressed. On the other hand, overcoming a challenge isn't something you would bring up to everyone; It's more of a triumph over a personal struggle to be happy about on a private, personal level.

tl;dr
An "achievement/accomplishment" would be a win for anyone.
"Overcoming a challenge" is a win only for those people presented with that challenge.

I would disagree, for some people being proud of the accomplishment of speaking in public can be presented as such.

Reactions: 1 user