HELP: Is my passion for serving vulnerable populations compatible with becoming a physician scientist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microbezzzz

Reaction score
Hello all,

I wonder if any of you might be/have been similarly split between these two passions:

I love research. I love the act of seeking to further our collective understanding of the universe and the way it works, particularly with the opportunity to reduce human suffering. I love diving down the rabbit hole of scientific literature and hypothesis generation and camping out in the lab late into the night because I WANT to know the results of an experiment ASAP.

At the same time, I know through various volunteer and employment experiences that I have a heart for service, particularly to those who find themselves homeless or displaced. The opportunity to spend my life going all-in to combat social injustice and do whatever I can to serve those who's lives have been plagued by suffering in ways that I will never fully understand seems like one of the best responses I can make to the blessings I've experienced in my own life. Furthermore, when I think about maximizing the 'good' I can do with my life, I know that there is undoubtedly a shortage of physicians in service to this specific patient population whereas if I don't go into research, odds are that I will enter into a field with several other people studying similar or identical processes that I am and thus, if I were absent, its unlikely that the field would be significantly different.

I am a hard time justifying a potentially selfish desire to pursue the satisfaction of research in favor of a career which might have a much better chance of meeting a true need. Not to say that scientific research isn't necessary, just that it might be oversaturated and it seems like the effect of +/- an individual in most/any research field is less likely to be felt. Having researched full-time for several years now, I kind-of get the feeling that we aren't racing to reduce suffering, we're racing to beat the next group to publication so that we get the credit. If someone else was going to make the discovery within a reasonable amount of time anyways, did our role in that discovery really matter all that much?

I am especially interested in the following research fields: Infectious Diseases, Mental Illness (Schizophrenia), and Cancer. Do you feel like there is ample room in these fields for an individual to make a difference or is everyone really just racing against each other? Additionally, do you think it is possible for a physician scientist in one of these fields to spend significant time researching (80-90%) and for the remaining clinical time to be spent serving the most marginalized (ex: uni-associated homeless clinics, free clinics, global health, etc.). I understand that somthing like this might significantly reduce my earning potential but I hope that this won't influence my decision.

I want to reiterate that I really do love research and I don't mean to be critical of anyone here who has chosen to pursue research. Instead, I hope to hear some additional perspectives on why you chose to pursue research and whether or not there are careers which might be able to address both of these problems at the same time. I am happy to be called out here. Sorry for the word-vomiting. Thanks in advance for thoughtful consideration!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered a MD/MpH? They involve research but typically more public health related. It's a cool career that typically blends clinical work, research, and helping underserved populations.

From AAMC: "An MD-MPH program includes a Master of Public Health degree, which typically focuses on population or community health and equips students with the clinical skills and science background needed to effectively understand health and wellness from the perspectives of patients and different community populations. Topics studied include a patient’s ability to afford their medical prescriptions and how to work with communities to implement preventative care practices."

Reactions: 1 user
Have you considered a MD/MpH? They involve research but typically more public health related. It's a cool career that typically blends clinical work, research, and helping underserved populations.

From AAMC: "An MD-MPH program includes a Master of Public Health degree, which typically focuses on population or community health and equips students with the clinical skills and science background needed to effectively understand health and wellness from the perspectives of patients and different community populations. Topics studied include a patient’s ability to afford their medical prescriptions and how to work with communities to implement preventative care practices."
I actually have considered it and in general, I am not sure if that would scratch the same curiosity 'itch' that wet science does. I think it has something to do with the inability to design experiments to test a hypothesis and the additional satisfaction I find in understanding the way the universe works as opposed to social systems. I appreciate the suggestion though and I think Its worth reexamining. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
In academia, there is ample opportunity to work with marginalized populations who suffer from serious mental illness while doing 75%+ research. If your interest is in schizophrenia, that actually sounds like a perfect fit.

Working with high needs people ("homeless and displaced") on a day to day basis is typically not the right fit for MD/PhD. Some MDs do this type of work, but the vast majority of MDs don't, and the work itself is not dramatically altered by the virtue of the group being high needs. There are many reasons why this is so.

If you want to serve high needs people on a daily basis, it's better to choose a career in clinical social work and related disciplines. Most people of high needs have many more needs than healthcare.

I know of terrific physician scientists who work in their 20% clinic time with a marginalized condition, for example, HIV, sickle cell disease, etc. As indicated above, if you want to be most impactful in the local marginalized community, approaching this as a 80% job with 20% research, then, definitely a MD/MPH is more helpful to your educational needs.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi !
I have struggled with some similar questions especially after a service immersion trip in a neighborhood not too far from my undergrad.
I completely and utterly understand how you’re feeling.
I encourage you to check out Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. I’ll be matriculating to their MD/PhD program in the fall.
They are a Catholic institution but by no means expect their students to be catholic so please don’t let that dissuade you if religion/Catholicism isn’t your thing. They have plenty of students from other faith transitions as well as none at all. Their mission centers around service and I think it might resonate with you. It’s a really unique environment where you truly can pursue an MD/PhD with classmates in both the medical and graduate school who truly value those on the margins of society. Please feel free to PM me. It took me a while to find Stritch, but once I did I realized I can’t picture myself anywhere else.