Help...is path right for me??

Started by KRR124
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KRR124

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently starting my second year in Family Practice residency and have been having doubts about my career choice. I do love my patients, and I enjoy the challenge of the broad field of knowledge, but I'm absolutely worn out by clinic, charts, insurers, phone-notes, paper-work and more paper-work. I occasionally have a good day, but overall I find myself dreading work, which I keep telling myself will get better once residency is over, but I am not so sure this is true.

Enter pathology. I used my elective this month to do a pathology rotation. (I always wanted to do one in medical school, but I didn't get placed and it was so far into my fourth year when I was already knee-deep in the primary care track that I'm not sure it would have made a difference.) So, I've been really enjoying it. Everyone seems to love their job, and though I don't always see what they are talking about, I am absolutely intrigued when looking at slides with attendings. I like hanging out in the gross lab with the PAs, and I just saw my first autopsy last night, which was quite an experience. I feel at peace in a laboratory, and I don't thrive in chaotic environments, like so often family medicine clinic can become.

I think, looking back, I felt most in my element second year of medical school. I, admittedly, did not honor histology and barely honored anatomy, but our second-year pathology, immunology, and microbiology courses were my favorite. They came easily to me and I really enjoyed them. However, I am not particularly interested in research. I did do well on all three parts of the boards, and I just really enjoy learning. I like having my nose in a book, and I enjoy finding answers and making diagnoses.

I am very torn and welcome any advice you all have to offer. Thanks so much! 😳
 
I'm currently starting my second year in Family Practice residency and have been having doubts about my career choice. I do love my patients, and I enjoy the challenge of the broad field of knowledge, but I'm absolutely worn out by clinic, charts, insurers, phone-notes, paper-work and more paper-work. I occasionally have a good day, but overall I find myself dreading work, which I keep telling myself will get better once residency is over, but I am not so sure this is true.

Enter pathology. I used my elective this month to do a pathology rotation. (I always wanted to do one in medical school, but I didn't get placed and it was so far into my fourth year when I was already knee-deep in the primary care track that I'm not sure it would have made a difference.) So, I've been really enjoying it. Everyone seems to love their job, and though I don't always see what they are talking about, I am absolutely intrigued when looking at slides with attendings. I like hanging out in the gross lab with the PAs, and I just saw my first autopsy last night, which was quite an experience. I feel at peace in a laboratory, and I don't thrive in chaotic environments, like so often family medicine clinic can become.

I think, looking back, I felt most in my element second year of medical school. I, admittedly, did not honor histology and barely honored anatomy, but our second-year pathology, immunology, and microbiology courses were my favorite. They came easily to me and I really enjoyed them. However, I am not particularly interested in research. I did do well on all three parts of the boards, and I just really enjoy learning. I like having my nose in a book, and I enjoy finding answers and making diagnoses.

I am very torn and welcome any advice you all have to offer. Thanks so much! 😳


Go ahead and give pathology a try. Just as long as:

-you won't miss patient contact
-you don't mind looking in the scope for long periods of time - important
-you don't mind grossing (blood and guts don't gross you out)
-you enjoy reading Robbins, Rosai and other path texts (because you will be doing a lot of reading).
 
I'm currently starting my second year in Family Practice residency and have been having doubts about my career choice. I do love my patients, and I enjoy the challenge of the broad field of knowledge, but I'm absolutely worn out by clinic, charts, insurers, phone-notes, paper-work and more paper-work. I occasionally have a good day, but overall I find myself dreading work, which I keep telling myself will get better once residency is over, but I am not so sure this is true.

Enter pathology. I used my elective this month to do a pathology rotation. (I always wanted to do one in medical school, but I didn't get placed and it was so far into my fourth year when I was already knee-deep in the primary care track that I'm not sure it would have made a difference.) So, I've been really enjoying it. Everyone seems to love their job, and though I don't always see what they are talking about, I am absolutely intrigued when looking at slides with attendings. I like hanging out in the gross lab with the PAs, and I just saw my first autopsy last night, which was quite an experience. I feel at peace in a laboratory, and I don't thrive in chaotic environments, like so often family medicine clinic can become.

I think, looking back, I felt most in my element second year of medical school. I, admittedly, did not honor histology and barely honored anatomy, but our second-year pathology, immunology, and microbiology courses were my favorite. They came easily to me and I really enjoyed them. However, I am not particularly interested in research. I did do well on all three parts of the boards, and I just really enjoy learning. I like having my nose in a book, and I enjoy finding answers and making diagnoses.

I am very torn and welcome any advice you all have to offer. Thanks so much! 😳

Well, I'm a first year Path resident. I also enjoyed patient care. We get plently of paperwork here, especially in autopsy.
I hated all of basic sciences. I also hate reading. Is pathology right for me? :laugh:
/so far enjoying residency
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear that you're feeling so conflicted. It stinks.... I've been there, I often fantasize about retraining in primary care.

Autopsy ppw consists of chart reviews and writing reports (something like a d/c summary). No admission ppw, no patient notes, no referrals, no result phone calls. Pathology ppw and FP ppw are two different animals.

Also, be certain you like tumors/cancer, since that is a significant proportion of what surgical pathologists sign-out.
 
I'm currently starting my second year in Family Practice residency and have been having doubts about my career choice. I do love my patients, and I enjoy the challenge of the broad field of knowledge, but I'm absolutely worn out by clinic, charts, insurers, phone-notes, paper-work and more paper-work. I occasionally have a good day, but overall I find myself dreading work, which I keep telling myself will get better once residency is over, but I am not so sure this is true.

Enter pathology. I used my elective this month to do a pathology rotation. (I always wanted to do one in medical school, but I didn't get placed and it was so far into my fourth year when I was already knee-deep in the primary care track that I'm not sure it would have made a difference.) So, I've been really enjoying it. Everyone seems to love their job, and though I don't always see what they are talking about, I am absolutely intrigued when looking at slides with attendings. I like hanging out in the gross lab with the PAs, and I just saw my first autopsy last night, which was quite an experience. I feel at peace in a laboratory, and I don't thrive in chaotic environments, like so often family medicine clinic can become.

I think, looking back, I felt most in my element second year of medical school. I, admittedly, did not honor histology and barely honored anatomy, but our second-year pathology, immunology, and microbiology courses were my favorite. They came easily to me and I really enjoyed them. However, I am not particularly interested in research. I did do well on all three parts of the boards, and I just really enjoy learning. I like having my nose in a book, and I enjoy finding answers and making diagnoses.

I am very torn and welcome any advice you all have to offer. Thanks so much! 😳

Your story is remarkably similar to mine (although I was in IM). You'll thank yourself for trying for pathology I think.

Good luck.👍
 
I'm currently starting my second year in Family Practice residency and have been having doubts about my career choice. I do love my patients, and I enjoy the challenge of the broad field of knowledge, but I'm absolutely worn out by clinic, charts, insurers, phone-notes, paper-work and more paper-work. I occasionally have a good day, but overall I find myself dreading work, which I keep telling myself will get better once residency is over, but I am not so sure this is true.

Enter pathology. I used my elective this month to do a pathology rotation. (I always wanted to do one in medical school, but I didn't get placed and it was so far into my fourth year when I was already knee-deep in the primary care track that I'm not sure it would have made a difference.) So, I've been really enjoying it. Everyone seems to love their job, and though I don't always see what they are talking about, I am absolutely intrigued when looking at slides with attendings. I like hanging out in the gross lab with the PAs, and I just saw my first autopsy last night, which was quite an experience. I feel at peace in a laboratory, and I don't thrive in chaotic environments, like so often family medicine clinic can become.

I think, looking back, I felt most in my element second year of medical school. I, admittedly, did not honor histology and barely honored anatomy, but our second-year pathology, immunology, and microbiology courses were my favorite. They came easily to me and I really enjoyed them. However, I am not particularly interested in research. I did do well on all three parts of the boards, and I just really enjoy learning. I like having my nose in a book, and I enjoy finding answers and making diagnoses.

I am very torn and welcome any advice you all have to offer. Thanks so much! 😳

did FP 19 years-finished path residency in june-love it. PM me if you want.
 
Well, I'm a first year Path resident. I also enjoyed patient care. We get plently of paperwork here, especially in autopsy.
I hated all of basic sciences. I also hate reading. Is pathology right for me? :laugh:
/so far enjoying residency

You're an outlier 😉
 
You're an outlier 😉

Path or Bust you need to change your avatar...
I keep thinking you are the great pumpkin... it is too confusing.. 😕


Well really it is my problem.. I just had to say something about it :laugh: