Help!! lawyer applying to med school, 3.46cGPA, 3.9sGPA, 520 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Tea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm looking for feedback on my school list. I'm really having a hard time determining where I have a shot so any feedback is very appreciated.

quick context/background
I bombed my first ~1.5 years of undergrad due to typical issues (some personal problems/depression, not wanting to be in school, lacking maturity, etc.) but ended up with a 3.37 gpa (with a very strong upward trend) and a degree in classics. I then went to University of Minnesota law school and graduated magna cum laude, practiced for 3 years at large firms and then decided to pursue MD. I just finished my post-bacc with a 4.0 which helped my GPA numbers quite a bit.

Stats

* 3.46 undergrad, 3.9 BCPM
* 520 MCAT
* no significant research experience
* ~150 hours hospital volunteering at 2 hospitals
* ~300 hours overseas medical volunteering for a hospital my family has been involved in for many years
* ~250 hours pro bono work as an attorney
* very involved in leadership in law school
* scribing during gap year
* white
* born/raised and did undergrad in CA but currently a MN resident. love both states.

Schools currently on my list
Minnesota
Mayo (not sure if it's worth taking a shot here with my low GPA and lack of research?)
UC Davis (did my undergrad here)
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCLA
USC
U. of Colorado
U. of Oregon
U. of Wisconsin - Madison
U. of Arizona - Tucson
U. of Arizona -Phoenix
U. of Florida
U. of Nevada - Reno
Ohio St.
Creighton
MCW
U. of Miami
U. of Cincinnati

Questions
* Do I have any reasonable chance at CA schools with my low GPA? Mayo?
* Any good schools that are friendly to OOS splitters (low GPA, high MCAT?)
* generally what tier of schools should I be targeting? Do I need to apply more broadly to lower tiered schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here is a more realistic list:

Minnesota
Mayo
U. of Wisconsin - Madison
Creighton
MCW
U. of Miami
U. of Cincinnati
Loyola
NYMC
Albany
The Philly Triplets
Gtown
GWU
Wake
Oakland-B
Western MI
Tufts
Any DO school, starting with CCOM, MSUCOM, MUCOM and DMU

Thanks for the reply Goro - are CA schools just off the table for me even though I lived there through undergrad?

I also forgot to mention I'm scribing during this gap year if it makes a difference (edited OP to add that)