Help - looking for feedback on Baylor peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fabio

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone had any thoughts on Texas Children's at Baylor. During our interview day, we didn't get to meet many residents except for the 1 who took us on our tour, plus 2 more residents at lunch (no resident get-together the night before.) Also, we didn't get to sit in on any conferences, morning report, etc.

This has all left me a bit confused. I really thought the place was beautiful and the opportunities to do whatever you want are definitely there . . . however, I am wondering at this stage how accurate of a representation of the program I got. I initially really liked the place and wanted to rank it highly; however, I am now second-guessing my opinion based on limited feedback.

Any feedback, positive or negative, would be appreciated from current residents, other applicants, med students, etc. Are the residents happy, aside from general all-around residency downfalls? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

fab,

I did a fellowship at Baylor and TCH.

the peds residents are a great group. they were very happy, and had a very well-rounded education both at Ben Taub and at TCH.

Ralph Feigen takes great care of his people. there is no more powerful advocate to have in your corner , in America than him.

more specific questions, PM me

Baylor is the bomb!! You will be the best if you train there. They take exceptionally great care of their residents because of Feigin. He makes things happen. I think he's still some kind of medical advisor to Bush and he is so well known that you would be remiss to miss out.

My peds attending got his most competitive fellowship because he went to Baylor. They just said "oh you're from Baylor....what do we have to do to get you to come here?"

Two downsides: first is that you will work your butt off. So if you want to take it easy, go somewhere else. Second, Houston might be a negative for some people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your input. You both confirmed what I was thinking and hoping.

Cheers!

Yes, thanks to both of you for responding - it was appreciated. We will see what Match Day holds!

Glad to hear you're looking at Baylor!

I wouldn't change a thing about my choice. Dr. Feigin is a tremendous individual. Those who bad-mouth him don't know him...don't know how supportive and helpful he is. At most programs, regardless of the specialty, you're lucky if you see your Chairperson once a month. At Baylor you can interact with Feigin each week...believe me, it makes a difference.

As residents, we are exposed to a remarkable variety of patients with CC from visceral leishmaniasis to Kartagener's syndrome to Waardenburg syndrome to Cockayne's, etc. After training here, there won't be a single thing that you haven't seen and worked up....You will be prepared.

For more info, PM me....happy to answer more specific questions.