Help Me any Dental Student Any program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Rich

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am Desperate. I will Do anythigh to get in to dental school. I have in the past applied to 12 schools and got 2 interviews. One with Univers. of kentucky and one with Iowa.
I graduate with my Masters of public health in 10 days. Now I will have a masters this application time around. My dates are 11's and 12's if my memory serves me correct. My undergrad Bio average was 2.3 over all and 2.0 Science. My grad GPA is 3.0. I have to be a dentist. I will not stop applying. I will even go abroad if the program is recognized in the US and the degree I get is a DDS or DMD. No MB's or Bs's in dentistry though. Help ME please.... Fellow
Dental Doc..

Please Email me back at [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Dr.Rich (edited April 24, 2001).]

Members don't see this ad.

Rich,
How are your DAT scores? Even with a lower gpa many people will get in if they have above average DAT scores (19 and up). If you didn't do so well on that, I would retake it. Also, here are a list of schools with lower averages.

NYU 17.6/15.9 3.15
Howard 16/15 2.9
Meharry 15/15 2.7
Pitt 17.5/15.9 3.38
Marquette 17/16 3.3
Puerto Rico 16/16 3.29

Don't bother applying to state schools unless you're a resident. Stay with the private sector, do well on the DAT and you should get in. Good Luck.
DMD.

Hey DrDMD05
Where did you get these numbers?
From 2000-2001 Admission Requirements of US & Canadian Dental Schools
those with a bit lower GPA's:

school, DAT/PAT, overall GPA, sci GPA
NYU, 18.35/16.18, 3.30, 3.09
Howard, 16.0/15.0, 2.99, 2.92
Meharry, 15.7/14.5, 2.88, 2.70
Pitt, 17.0/16.0, 3.25, 3.20
Marquette 17.4/16.3, 3.39, 3.26
PuertoRico16.0/15.0, 3.44, 3.33
Tufts 17.85/17.04, 3.25, 3.16
UofPacific19.5/18.5, 3.18, 3.09

DrDMD05 is right, dont bother applying to Puerto Rico. They only take in-state's.
U of Pacific doesn't look at GPA as much as DAT's.

Good luck, study hard for DAT!
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
The ASDA handbook volume 2 2000

You have the first and most essential thing to get into school...desire. The problem is that you are lacking the second most important...grades. My advise to you is to retake the DATs but take a prep coarse first. I am currently a dental student and I did not get in the first time I applied. What you need is a Kaplan style prep class it is amazing how much you can improve your DAT scores just with them. I personally got an 18 on my DATs. No, I am no smarter than you are. The trick is that by taking the prep class I knew exactly what types of questions they were going to ask. It obviously helps to know the questions before you take the exam. Also the PhD will certainly help you. I have a friend who didn't get into med school the first time he applied went for a PhD in public health and now the schools are practicly knocking down his door asking him to come and even giving him scholarships

Good Luck

I have seen Dr. Rich's previous posts and
I do not believe him to be the real deal.
Tim.

Hey there,

Do not despair, I was in your shoes too and I ultimately got in!! I had a 2.8 science GPA, above a 3.0 cum GPA and got a 21 Academic Avg, 23 science avg on the DAT, and now I teach it for Kaplan. I took a prep course and it really made the difference, and I got in, so you can too :) Desire is the key, motivation, and dedication are part of it too.

Ask for some constructive criticism from the schools you applied to as to how you can improve your application specifically for each of them (some will have various opinions)- some might tell you to retake some courses that you got lower grades in, some might tell you to take grad level classes (that's what I did and did well in them).

But I do agree with the others, don't apply to state schools unless you're a resident, it's a waste of your time, money, and mental energy. As a warning, I was told from an insider at the dental school at Pitt that they work simply via computer, so without a high GPA, just be forewarned that you might not have a chance there- I'm a legacy at the dental school and it still didn't help me get my application at least reviewed. UDetroit Mercy wanted me enlisted in a full time Master's program before they'd accept me. BU accepted me :)

If you know any dentists, use them as connections to their alma maters- it can never hurt you, only get your application the review it needs. Do you have experience in the dental field? That is key too.

Best of luck to you and keep at it, if you really want to do it (and it sounds like you do), do everything you can to improve your application and they're bound to notice. It took me 5 years and 3 times to get in- third time was a charm...

Amelia :D

TheBeyonder,

I'm with you on this one...

However, if you are the real-deal Dr. Rich, then I advise you to study like crazy for the DATs..You said your DAT scores were 11 and 12s. Well, that implies to me that you didn't really study like you should have for whatever reason. If you are really serious about getting into dental school, you HAVE to get that DAT score way up because your undergrad gpa of 2.3 is beyond horrible and your grad gpa of 3.0 is not very stellar either (almost all my friends who are in grad school have at least a 3.4-3.5 or higher--and that is without doing anything too demanding from what they tell me). Also, start volunteering at a dental clinic if you are not doing so already and write a really, really solid personal statement.

Anyway, the key to getting in for you is to significantly improve your DAT score. What I really advise for you (since your numbers are not too good and you REALLY REALLY want to get into dental school), have NO LIFE for about 3-4 months and study every waking second for that DAT. You should get 18s or higher hopefully and then you will have a decent shot at getting in somewhere.

That is my advice,
Racerdude

coming as desperate to get into dental school during the interview good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.