Help me choose!

Majal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stanford vs Caltech vs Cornell vs Washington University vs University of Chicago vs Duke

Def Pre-med. Did some research and shadowed a doctor for a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well where do you want to live (friends/family around any of those places)?

What do you think you want to major it?

What type of weather do you want?

Is one significantly less expensive than the others?

You'll get a great education at all of those places, but they are all pretty different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in chem, most likely. Maybe microbio, but unlikely. I like nice weather (60s and 70s). Got financial aid from all schools except Cornell. Family lives in Texas.

Stanford vs Caltech vs Cornell vs Washington University vs University of Chicago vs Duke

Def Pre-med. Did some research and shadowed a doctor for a few weeks.

What's your favorite number between 1-6 ? Choose one and write it down on paper.

If you have chose...

1: Go to Stanford
2: Caltech
3: Cornell
4: Washington
5: Chicago
6: Duke

Hey, this is a big decision that you need to make. The only thing I will say is that I know someone who went to Caltech and would not advise about going there. Yes it is a great school, especially for chem, but this person says that it is very anti social and people are pretty weird. I would honestly say Stanford for undergraduate, but that's me and I have different reasons than you. Personally, I think Stanford would be social, but intelligent, and nice weather.

Hey, this is a big decision that you need to make. The only thing I will say is that I know someone who went to Caltech and would not advise about going there. Yes it is a great school, especially for chem, but this person says that it is very anti social and people are pretty weird. I would honestly say Stanford for undergraduate, but that's me and I have different reasons than you. Personally, I think Stanford would be social, but intelligent, and nice weather.

They have like 150-200 people per year don't they? thats smaller than my high school!

Anyways go to wherever you will be happier and most comfortable.

Yeah, I think I've narrowed it down to Caltech and Stanford myself. I'm just wondering if the pre-med acceptance rates/support systems are better at one or the other, or are they pretty equal?

This is gonna sound biased given my alma mater, but the reason I didn't go to Duke was that every student I spoke with when I visited claimed to be unhappy. Yeah, it was a small sample size, and I probably just got an unlucky draw of students, but it was enough to point me elsewhere.

Caltech is very prestigious, more so than Stanford.

Go there if you want the name.

Caltech is very prestigious, more so than Stanford.

Go there if you want the name.

I highly doubt the "prestige" of Caltech will matter than much compared to Stanford, especially since Caltech doesn't have a medical school so you really won't get a leg up at all to be honest. If you go to Stanford you will have a slight leg up to get into their school. Either way, don't go to a school for "prestige" when all the schools you are choosing between are prestigious. In short, go wherever you feel more comfortable. An epsilon increase in prestige is not worth it if you don't enjoy your undergrad years.