Help me decide: Downstate vs. Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a NY resident and these two schools were near the top of my list.. so I am very grateful for these acceptances.

Here is my take so far:

Location: I am ok with either location. I don't mind being far from the city, and I actually enjoy being in downstate's neighborhood (i'd probably live around the campus rather than up in park slope or something like that). I did a post bacc at stony brook so I know the area pretty well and have a VERY cheap living option should I go there. I think stony brook would be better in that it would allow me to better concentrate on my studies since the 2 hour drive into the city will reduce my motivation to go hang out with my buddies on the western half of LI. I also already have a car and will keep it no matter where I end up going (so the cost is not an issue).

Pre Clinical: I've heard that stony brooks program has the block exams falling within days of each other.. this can be both good and bad.. I haven't decided on which yet. It also seems that the admin here is very receptive to student feedback, and i certainly got the feeling that they really care during the 2nd day visit. I didn't go to downstate's 2nd visit, so I don't really know about them.. but during my interview, I didn't meet that many folks from admin (nor that many students for that matter) so I don't really know how the environment is. The students that I did meet seemed to be pretty nice, and it seemed the student population was alot more diverse than at stonybrook.

Clinical: Everyone talks about the amazing clinical experience at Downstate.. and since I have an interest in EM it strongly appeals to me. I also have an interest working with minority populations (particularly immigrants).. and while downstate should provide great experience, stonybrook also mentioend they have a sizeable population of migrant workers.. so there is exposure there. The rotations at stonybrook seem to be alittle limited since most of them are at suburban locations... but stony brook pushed their status as a regional level 1 trauma center pretty strongly.. though I'm not sure if that means anything to a med student.

So these are the factors I'm thinking about.. are there anything else that I should consider for either of these schools? Anyone else make the same exact decision? What were the factors that were important to you? Anything you think I should know as a possible student at either of these schools?

Ultimately, I think I will be happy at either school.. Just wanted to know if there was anything else existing students felt an incoming student should know prior to making their decision.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

WHy not choose Downstate and be close to the city for cheap! that is a great option not many have. If it was nyu vs. stonybrook and money was involved it would be more of a debate. For the same money and the same state program go to downstate for nyc

Hoya11 said:
WHy not choose Downstate and be close to the city for cheap! that is a great option not many have. If it was nyu vs. stonybrook and money was involved it would be more of a debate. For the same money and the same state program go to downstate for nyc

I'm a non trad. student who spent 4 years living/working in NYC, so it doesn't really hold the same draw for me as it would for other students.

I view being close to NYC a wash because while I'll be closer to places to go out, it'll also be more of a distraction since alot of my friends are in NYC/Queens/Brooklyn.

Yeah I chose SB over Downstate (applied this cycle, but I figure another opinion can't hurt :) ), mainly because I LOVE NYC, which means I'd spend more time in the city than in my books if I went to Downstate. Also, SB really plugged the high-tech aspect of their program, and it seemed more put together. I just didn't have a great impression of Downstate just from the way they conducted this admissions process - disorganized and uninterested.