Help Me Decide (MD/PhD Edition): USC/Caltech vs. UCSD vs. Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foregoingfun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Hoping to get some outside opinions! Feeling very grateful to be in this position but simultaneously overwhelmed in trying to balance personal happiness with career decisions. Strong interest in surgery, with extensive experience (>5 years) doing research in novel therapeutics for peds neurosurg applications. I am unsure if I want to stay in that field or move topics and become a more interdisciplinary scientist. Avid skier, climber, and surfer. Would love some advice.

USC/Caltech
Pros
  • Collaborated with USC throughout undergrad, have very strong connections that can probably facilitate lots of continued research & productivity
  • Strong NSG program and opportunities.
  • Caltech PhD opportunity: amazing research and unique experience
  • In LA, close to family
  • I can be happy here
  • Great clinical experience with underserved populations and true catchment
  • Highest stipend (by like 25%)
  • Strong & familiar NSG network that would probably make my life a bit easier if I decided to bite that bullet

Cons
  • Lack of change, both academic and personal, is something I am very ready for but don't 100% need.
  • PhD at Caltech can be longer than 4 years (up to 6...)
  • Non-MSTP
  • USC losing affiliation with LAC???
  • Program does not have strong camaraderie/community
  • Not the nicest part of LA to live in

UCSD
Pros
  • Strong MSTP outcomes
  • Love the weather, surfing, climbing, etc.
  • Opportunities to pursue PhD at Salk, Scripps, LJII, with biotech around the corner.
  • Seems to have a very strong community
  • Strong/helpful administration (so it seems)
  • New environment, faculty, and location

Cons
  • Farther from family
  • Farther from skiing
  • Slightly weaker NSG
  • Weaker clinical depts/exposure due to LA's proximity
  • Have heard SD/La Jolla to be a bit quiet
  • Lowest stipend
  • Strange clinical grading criteria (H/HP/P/F with percentage caps for each class??)

Utah:

Pros
  • Amazing community and I love the mountains/outdoors science in SLC
  • Would probably be personally happiest here
  • Strong momentum behind the program and its newly established MSTP
  • Excellent NSG division
  • Serves multiple states and diverse patient populations
  • Admin seems extremely supportive of students
  • Great stipend for low COL of SLC
Cons
  • Lower ranked/less prestigious program, unsure what implications that may have for matching
  • Farthest from family
  • Weakest match list
  • Strong desire to match in CA and am unsure if this would be a detriment to my chances

Summary: I want to be happy and also don't want to make a myopic decision by choosing a program on non-professional factors over other factors I might be a bit too burnt out to really see right now. Any wisdom/perspective/advice very welcome. Appreciate you all.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have much to say about MD-PhD but I went to Utah for college and live/grew up in SLC. Seems like you have a good impression of the city and school already but if you have any other questions feel free to reach out! And congrats on the great options! My 2c would be to weigh personal happiness heavily, especially because MSTP is so long lol

Congratulations! I'm glad you have also been active in the Research Scientists' Forum. Make sure you attend and ask any students or mentors in APSA about this choice.

My own opinion is to remember your horizon is twice as long as most premeds here. You'll be more anchored near the research campus than the clinical sites until the end of your time (under normal circumstances). Student support and research support are especially important given the 8-10 year span of your life.

Reactions: 1 users
Utah just had an MD/PhD match into Stanford's Ophthalmology SOAR program which is ultra competitive and takes 1 or 2 each year. So the overall match list may not be as strong but the MD/PhD seems to set their students up for competitive positions.

Reactions: 1 user