Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Help me decide on a school...

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by meghoo22, Dec 15, 2008.

1. meghoo22

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hi guys!

So I just got back from Boston and NY for my interviews, and also interviewed at SCCO on Saturday. By the time I returned, I had already gotten my acceptance letters from NECO and SUNY, and received my acceptance e-mail from SCCO today. Of course I'm really really REALLY excited to have the opportunity to choose the school I will be attending next year, but am also very confused with the decision I need to make.

I am primarily debating between SUNY and SCCO. SUNY offered me a $5000 scholarship, and I absolutely loved their school and the city. SCCO on the other hand offers the chance to stay close to home, and also has amazing facilities. I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions about these schools. Is one considered to be "better" within the professional circle? If I want to practice in CA, does attending SUNY put me at a disadvantage? I did the math for the tuition and expenses, and it turns out to be pretty much the same for the two schools. Though SUNY's tuition is way cheaper than SCCO's, the living expenses in NY make up for the difference. Also, please feel free to give me other factors I should consider while choosing a school.

Thanks so much!

2. achirum

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    You were offered a 5000$ scholarship?

3. JeffChou

JeffChou Your mom goes to college
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I would take the scholarship and runnnn. You can always visit home, but you don't always get a chance to go to school in a place like New York.

If you are set on practicing in CA after you graduate, it may be easier for you to network in your area. Some students are offered positions at offices they have worked at upon graduation. I guess it comes down to where you want to be for the next few years.

4. blysssful

blysssful SUNY c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I'm in the same place as you... minus the scholarship. Is that for all 4 years, because that could make a huge, huge difference!

I made a pros/cons list, but it's pretty personal for me:
    SUNY:
    (+) I'm from the DC area, so it's relatively close
    (+) State school = cheaper tuition for last 3 years
    (+) very, very good academic record
    (-) I feel like I won't get my peace of mind in NYC

SCCO:
    (+) Really nice clinic
    (+) TONS of family nearby, plus my boyfriend and best friend will be in the area
    (+) Climate (which is actually really important to me)
    (+) I'll already have somewhere to live
    (-) Private school = high tuition

Also, someone from the forums who was in this position last year sent me his more extensive pros/cons list:
    SUNY
    (+) One of the most prestigious and top-rated optometry schools. Very strong academically with high board passing rates
    (+) Great facilities and clinic with the latest in technology
    (+) Faculty and staff seemed very welcoming during the interview process
    (+) Diverse patient population
    (+) After a year, instate tuition with books and equipment would be less than 20K
    (+) Its freakin' NEW YORK CITY! The school is located almost smack-dab in the middle of Manhattan. Can't ask for more! Not to mention NY pizza :)

(-) Cost of liviing is insane. 1 grand a month to live in the slums of queens. Not to mention the subway commute and the weirdos of NYC.
    (-) Out of state tuition was recently raised to ~34K a year. Whaaaa?
    (-) Weather. The winters are BRUTAL! I am a born and raised Cali boy and I don't know the meaning of freezing rain.
    (-) Probably the biggest negative for me was SUNY's reputation of being a hardcore academic school. So hardcore, that you will spend many hours of the day studying. From other student's opinions, they said the faculty there was very "tough and unforgiving." I prefer to have a life outside of school, especially living in the great city of NY

SCCO
    (+) Another top-rated school that is strong both academically and clinically
    (+) Brand spanking new clinic with a TLC LASIK center
    (+) Campus is outdoor. Good if you don't like to be couped up in one building the whole day
    (+) Great and very accessible faculty (professors, even the president, give students their cell phone numbers)
    (+) I went to Cal State Fullerton across the street so I am familar with the area and my parents live 15 miles down the road
    (+) Produces strong and clinically-minded graduates
    (+) Diverse patient population
    (+) I have a life outside of school
    (+) 70-80 degrees, everyday!

(-) Private school, so tuition is on the pricey side
    (-) Fullerton night life gets boring after a few weeks... Need to venture out elsewhere, perhaps LA
    (-) California traffic
    (-) Will probably never get the chance again to venture out and live in NYC for 4 years
    (-) No NY pizza!

So, I hope that helps a little!

5. meghoo22

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    thanks for your opinions everyone. Blyssful, have you made a decision yet? my pros and cons pretty much match yours; including my family and boyfriend who live in LA. It's such a tough decision :/ I almost wish I didn't have a choice...almost. Oh, and the scholarship is just for the first year.

6. XxMsICarexX

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    If I was in your case, I would definately choose SCCO. ^_^

7. blysssful

blysssful SUNY c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Actually, I'm fairly sure about SCCO... although I paid deposits to both SCCO and SUNY just to buy some time. I'm probably a masochist or something because I applied to UCBSO also. I agree it would be much easier if we didn't have to choose... but it's the price we pay for being so awesome :laugh: