Help me decide please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teacher07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My ultimate goal is to work in a therapy situation with children and perhaps do some assesment type things as well because I'm very interested in learning disabilities (I am a teacher after all).

My choices:

UMASS Amherst School psych Phd
MSPP Psyd

Lets put money aside for a minute and just based on your knowledge of the programs/field etc, which should I choose?

Members don't see this ad.

I know nothing about either school specifically, but from what you said you want to do, it sounds like school psych would be the place for you.

I know nothing about either school specifically, but from what you said you want to do, it sounds like school psych would be the place for you.

I don't know anything about the schools either, but I definitely think a school psych Ph.D would be more beneficial for what you want to do than a Psy.D.

So, I therefore concur with RayneeDeigh :p.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting Kills.... why would you say that the PhD would be more suitable? In my honest opinion, either doctoral degrees would suffice. Certainly, more research through a PhD program wouldn't make this candidate a better therapist. If anything, it would be the PsyD program that promotes the clinician model.

Waiting Kills.... why would you say that the PhD would be more suitable? In my honest opinion, either doctoral degrees would suffice. Certainly, more research through a PhD program wouldn't make this candidate a better therapist. If anything, it would be the PsyD program that promotes the clinician model.

It's between PsyD and SCHOOL psychology PhD, not clinical PhD. Turning this into a PhD/PsyD debate won't help the OP. For what the OP wants to do, a school psych PhD would offer her the best opportunity in my opinion.

If you want to do therapy more (which you state first), then you should choose the MSPP.

If you would rather spend more time on testing assessment of kids, then you should choose UMass. With the UMass degree you will be much more tied to schools in terms of applied work. You should not have any problems with the UMass degree if you want to be a professor.

Didn't you get a sense, after being at both schools and meeting the professors, which place you liked better or fit in more?

I just feel so conflicted. On the one hand the School psych degree would allow me to do research and be a licenesed psychologist (just like a clinical phd)...MSPP would too of course, but without the research component. I'm worried my interests might change and I don't want to limit myself. Which program do you think could lead to more options down the road?

Do you know if MSPP is NASP-approved?

Well, you technically can still do some research in a PsyD program.

Luckily, the fact that this is such a tough call likely means that either will suit you relatively well. This may come down to which place you like better in general. Is there one that had an atmosphere you liked better than the other?

Hehehe, I again concur with RayneeDeigh :D .

I say the SCHOOL psych Ph.D because she wants to work with children in therapy situations and with LD's. She is also a teacher. Therefore SCHOOL psych would be more logical. This has nothing against psyd's, just that for what the OP wants to do, school psych makes more sense.

As well, ifyou want to keep your options open Teacher07, I would still suggest the school psych Ph.D because you will be able to do research and teach at colleges and uni's.

ETA: I also say this because in most school systems in Canada you need to have school psyc or counselling psych through an education department in order to be a counsellor/psychologist in schools.

There are school psych Psy.D.'s also.

It sounds like school psych is more the area you'd fit, though I was wondering about the independent practice. I know most/all states allow independent practice for school psych, though I'm not sure the level of clinical training you'd receive in order to see people for individual therapy. (I'd like to learn more about the independent opportunities with this degree)

-p

Thanks for all the input. I am going with my gut... UMASS Amherst School Psych it is.

It's between PsyD and SCHOOL psychology PhD, not clinical PhD. Turning this into a PhD/PsyD debate won't help the OP. For what the OP wants to do, a school psych PhD would offer her the best opportunity in my opinion.

Not really sure what you're talking about here...and, yes, I do understand that this poster is torn between two very distinctly different programs (in "SCHOOL" psychology). I should know, I'm a School Psychologist. I'd have to disagree with you and agree with previous posts that she would more likely benefit from the therapy training of the PsyD program. I was also once a teacher for kids diagnosed with behavioral/emotional disorders and, in order to gain the therapy practice, I feel she would likely need more training and less research. I'm sure both programs have their share of both, but again,...this is just my honest opinion.

My ultimate goal is to work in a therapy situation with children and perhaps do some assesment type things as well because I'm very interested in learning disabilities (I am a teacher after all).

My choices:

UMASS Amherst School psych Phd
MSPP Psyd

Lets put money aside for a minute and just based on your knowledge of the programs/field etc, which should I choose?

Have you been accepted to these programs or are you still in the application process? Also, have you looked at the Counseling/School Psychology program at Northeastern? I know from visiting that they would cover your areas of interest completely. Good Luck!

UMASS

You can do independent practice with a school psych phd just as you can with the clin psyd. the faculty are likely better at UMass.

Many of the MSPP faculty are also faculty members at Harvard, Tufts, and other prestigious Boston schools. Assumptions aren't the way to go when deciding where to go for grad school.