Help me decide: School X vs Y

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheerios123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to have acceptances to 2 MSTPS (and on the WL for 3 others). However, Im having a hard time deciding between the two schools. Here is a pros/cone list for each school.

Basically, the decision seems to be a decision between what isa most important for me: perfect research match with bad location vs okay research match with better location.

School X:

Pros:
-great research match for the speciality/field that I want to do
-great clinical opportunities in my field of interest
-decent match list

Cons:
-not a fan of the location and I don't really like the idea of staying in the city for 8 years
-no direct flights to my family and SO (will make trips less frequent)

School Y:

Pros:
- decent research opportunities outside of my preferred field of interest. Im still interested in these fields but not as much.
- decent match list. Similar to School X.
- similar "rank" as School X's
- location is better and commute to family and SO is easier

Cons:
- Research and clinical opportunities in my preferred field of interest are minimal compared to School X's.

Members don't see this ad.

School Y, easily. Very high chance you will pivot research focus at some point in your career anyway, why not now? We write stories for ourselves about our scientific interests and what draws us to them, but at the end of the day you need to be in a place where you will feel happy and supported first and foremost in order to succeed.

Also, I'm very skeptical that school Y does not have clinical opportunities in your field of interest.

School Y, easily. Very high chance you will pivot research focus at some point in your career anyway, why not now? We write stories for ourselves about our scientific interests and what draws us to them, but at the end of the day you need to be in a place where you will feel happy and supported first and foremost in order to succeed.

Also, I'm very skeptical that school Y does not have clinical opportunities in your field of interest.
Thanks for replying so quickly. I think you make a good point about prioritizing support and happiness.

As per your last comment, yes School Y does have opportunities in my field of interest. However, School X has amazing opportunities in that field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying so quickly. I think you make a good point about prioritizing support and happiness.

As per your last comment, yes School Y does have opportunities in my field of interest. However, School X has amazing opportunities in that field.
The relative strength of clinical opportunities do not matter much for a medical student. You'll get the clinical training you need regardless of the strength of the department.

Reactions: 1 user
The relative strength of clinical opportunities do not matter much for a medical student. You'll get the clinical training you need regardless of the strength of the department.

I agree with this. Location and personal well-being / support are much more important to your success. You learn how to be a doctor in residency, medical school is more or less just for learning the vocabulary, culture, and basic skills of clinical medicine which you could do anywhere where there are competent physicians to teach you and an internet connection.

If you could see yourself succeeding in research at either, even if not in the same field, go with Y.