Help me decide: UMich vs WashU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMich or Washu?

• U of Michigan (~$34k stipend)

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Washington U (~$30k stipend)

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling because every professor I've talked to has said to go to WashU (obviously I'm not taking their word as the gospel). However, I feel that my heart says Michigan.

Pros of WashU:
- Cheaper COL
- Amazing research opportunities in the area I currently want; interests may change, though.

Cons of WashU:
- Far away from family (support network)
- *Technically* higher rate of crime but whatever

Pros of Michigan:
- Close to family, can live at home at least first year
- I am already familiar with a lot of the research in my field going on here just from attending conferences/I'm passionate about a lot of it
- I like their curriculum structure

Cons of Michigan:
- High COL
- I'm getting kinda bored of the monotony
- Nothing exciting or new staying here

I'm just conflicted.

Members don't see this ad.

Attending an institution that is different than your current undergraduate or post-bac location provides you an opportunity to grow as a person and scientist. This might be the reason why you are being told by your professors at Michigan to go to WashU. They are both terrific training programs and you will NOT make a poor choice... truly no FOMO!

Reactions: 4 users
WashU. The med school is in a nice location and the crime statistics are overblown. StL is a nice city.
You don’t have to answer, but why do you say WashU? Is it just the location, or is it an overall better choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Attending an institution that is different than your current undergraduate or post-bac location provides you an opportunity to grow as a person and scientist. This might be the reason why you are being told by your professors at Michigan to go to WashU. They are both terrific training programs and you will NOT make a poor choice... truly no FOMO!
Thanks :) My heart says Michigan, but I’m worried it’s the “dumb” decision because practically everyone is telling me WashU (both on here and in real life), except my family. Family is really important to me, and it’s difficult for me to leave them for 8 years. However, part of me says I should leave them. It’s just hard.

If your heart says Michigan then go with Michigan! You can't go wrong so go with your gut.

It is ~8 years of your life, you need to make the decision that feels best for you no matter what so I'd say go with your gut. If you haven't been to St. Louis though I'd suggest visiting before making a decision, I love St. Louis but it's definitely not for everyone

Both are excellent programs with good track records, so neither decision is “dumb”. Congratulations on the choices!!!

Its great you are considering the impact on your personal life and well-being the choice will have, as being happy and supported is also a key element of doing good science and doing well in medical school.

I’d say think about this: academics aside, as both are terrific options and you say there are good options for research interests at both, what is more exciting to you? What place and community do you feel will provide what you need professionally, personally 2, 4, 6 years from now? Where do you think you want to end up after medical school? Certainly you can match anywhere from both but if you want to eventually settle down in Michigan, for example, would you prefer to stay in Michigan now, maybe save up for a down payment on a house to buy sometime in grad school, or move to Missouri, see some more of the country, and then come back to Michigan one day post training? No right answers, just what you want for yourself.

Reactions: 1 users