Help me decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have an interview coming up tuesday and I'm considering what to do if I dont get in this time. I am thinking of grad school in engineering, MPH, or post-bacc. I still wanna be a doc and id' be happy doing any of the 3 above, so which of the 3 would most "strengthen" my app?

The numbers - gpa 3.04 from georgia tech in electrical engineering, gre - 800quant 600verbal, mcat12p,12v,10b(34R total). gre is valid for 5 years and mcat for 3 more so i can hopefulyl finish whatever program and still use the scores to reapply(if I need to reapply).

What MPH programs are still accepting applications? Which schools have numbers in this range?

Jus throw ur thoughts out there. I'm not asking u folks to do my research for me, but the school websites don't have much information of this sort, so I was hoping you could throw in ur personal experiences.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. this site is so awesome.

Cheers,
Captjack

Members don't see this ad.

what are your ultimate career goals?

i think the mph is a great degree if you're interested in public health. i don't know how much it strengthens an application, though. your gpa might be higher than with grad work in engineering, though?

good luck with your decision!

captain jack, what school is your interview at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey captainjack,
I also did elec. engineering at georgia tech.....Still awaiting a decision from the one interview that I got.

I'd say whatever interests you the most and can do the most for your gpa, which seems to be the "weak" point in your application? (I am just going off the info you gave in your post; I hope everything else is in line.)

But think positive!! I don't think its a good thing to walk into an interview thinking that you're going to be let down again. :(

GOOD LUCK!!

To answer all your questions -

I want to be either a rural or international doc.

My interview is at Mercer.

I went to Georgia Tech.

I'm not going in with head hung low. This is my first time applying, and I made the mistake of only applying to two schools, and really late in the cycle at that. So it's just a backup. I'm hoping that things will work out, but we'll see.

Thanks for your advice, though.

Captjack

is your science gpa low?

if it is why not get a post bacc to raise the ugrad gpa...(well i think it does that...its too early and i cant remember exactly)

if that doesnt interest you, the other two options are good too esp. the MPH. I plan to get that sometime during medical school, but yeah you should ask exmike and some other members on here that have done MPH programs, they can have much more info on that pathway.