Help me decide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zhenka11230

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From one side i want to do research. I love puzzles, learning, inventing new things and i dread having a mechanical type career where i am devoid of critical/creative thinking. I also love the idea of converging of disciplines such as neural engineering. This obviously pushes me towards PHD. Although i am not sure how i would react to the type of research that i would not find interesting.

From another point of view i don't view myself as a monk. I want money. It is not my primary motive but i think denying its importance is delusional. I am also interested in medicine, biomedical engineering/research and helping people(i hate using this phrase but its true). I don't mind patient care but i want my primary focus to be research, secondary the amount of people i will help and third - money.

I also have a keen interest in Transhumanism and although i would love to cure diseases i would much rather genetically or roboticly engineer ways that would allow us to forget about disease in the first place.

Help me decide if PHD/MD is for me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.