help me decide

Started by mcgmaniac
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mcgmaniac

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a JMS who is really stuck between two choices: urology and ENT.I have rotated on and liked both. I am trying to visual what I would be happiest doing for 30 yrs. I would like to get your feel for what you see the bread and butter stuff as out there in the community. I know tubes and TNAs in ENT. Lots of cystos, prostate biopsies, turps, turbts in urology. How much sinus surgery do you do in a non academic setting? Any advice would be helpful.
 
Do Urology.

I do about 4-5 sinus surgeries/month in private practice. But I know many guys who do 2-3/wk in private practice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'd think you probably need to figure this out pretty soon, especially if you're considering urology (isn't it an early match?). aside from plastic surgery and dermatology these are probably the most competitive specialties to match into these days. not like i've gone through the application cycle yet, but i'd have to imagine that there a lot of people who have been grooming their applications, doing research, making connections for LORs, etc, for these specialties for a long time. if you're still flipping back and forth between careers close to the match, you're limiting your time/resources to do those things. maybe it's just the gunner deep down inside of me, but i'd tend to think it's in your best interest to just chose one at this point and go with it, knock some small papers out, go to grand rounds, meet the residents, faculty, etc. just my opinion. best of luck.