Help me finetune my plan

Started by DrWanahbe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrWanahbe

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all -

I'm a 31 year old forging the pathway to med school. I'm in a good position GPA wise, I just need to take the pre-reqs (all of them, of course, with the exception of Bio 101) and the MCAT. My current plan is to take the classes 1-2 at a time as I will be working at the same time, and I'm counting on the tuition reimbursement from the hospital I work at to make this happen. Thing is, I'm concerned about time. Like probably everyone else, I want to be there right now, not a few years from now! The way things are working out right now, I'd be planning on entering in 2009. Does anyone see any way in which I could try to swing a 2008 admission, by taking the MCAT next year? So far, I've completed Gen Chem. I need 1 semester of O-Chem, Biochem, Physiology and Calculus and 1 year Physics. I may also have a chance to do some research next semester. What's the best plan of attack? Most important is to do well, obviously, so I don't want to overload myself too much at the expense of my grades and learning.

Any ideas? Thanks much!
 
...Like probably everyone else, I want to be there right now, not a few years from now! The way things are working out right now, I'd be planning on entering in 2009. Does anyone see any way in which I could try to swing a 2008 admission, by taking the MCAT next year? So far, I've completed Gen Chem. I need 1 semester of O-Chem, Biochem, Physiology and Calculus and 1 year Physics...

Bad grades in these pre-reqs will hurt you badly. A bad score on the MCAT would hurt you badly. I would not advise trying to compress the schedule if it would risk your performance on either of these things -- and I think most of us working & taking classes don't need any more schedule compression than we've already got.

Make sure your plan involves a reduced courseload before the MCAT -- you'll need to put in some serious time studying for that thing.

To apply for 2008 admission, you would want the majority of your pre-reqs (including taking phys & o-chem BEFORE the MCAT) taken, and the MCAT taken, by next summer. That's one semester from now. You're the best judge of your own situation, but that doesn't sound like a high-probability-of-success plan.

Starting in 2009 is much closer than it sounds. You would just be able to be done with, let's say, 4 or 5 of the 6 classes you have listed plus the MCAT by summer of 2008 (3 semesters from now) and in order to apply for a 2009 start.

Are those pre-reqs you listed peculiar to a set of schools that you are planning to apply to? Some of them (particularly only one semester of o-chem) sound odd.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are those pre-reqs you listed peculiar to a set of schools that you are planning to apply to? Some of them (particularly only one semester of o-chem) sound odd.



Yep. The school I have the best chance of getting into (based on the fact that it's located where I live) just changed their requirements. So, 1 semester of O-Chem, no lab.
 
Yep. The school I have the best chance of getting into (based on the fact that it's located where I live) just changed their requirements. So, 1 semester of O-Chem, no lab.

Yeah, but if for some reason you don't get into that school, you've pretty much screwed yourself at most other schools. If I were you, I'd do the traditional pre-med pre-requisites and see what happens. It would be awful to waste a year because the school you're looking at decided not to take you and your other schools won't take you because you didn't do two semesters of Orgo with lab.
 
I know how you feel! I want to be there yesterday. However, if you don't take your time (considering you are also working) you will A.) get bad grades B.) screw up on the MCAT 3.) not get accepted and have to reapply. In the long scope of things just tell yourself what is the difference if you enter at 33 or 34? Only 1 year! You'll have more than 30 years to practice medicine (unless you're like a lot of doctors and keep working until you're in your 80s). If you're better prepared, you won't regret it because it will help you once you're in medical school. Best of luck.