Help me get started

Started by ThePharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ThePharm

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

After some soul searching and pharm shadowing I recently decided that I want to apply for pharmacy school this coming fall (so I can enter Fall 2011). So crunch-time--what do I need to do?

I have signed up for October PCAT and will have all the requirements needed to apply done by December (uncluding a summer of O.Chem--ouch). My cum. GPA right now is 3.9.

I am a student at Boise State University, but I am not a resident of Idaho, but Wyoming. So naturally I plan on applying to UWyo, but I am hoping that I could get into Idaho State-Meridian. I also intend on applying to University of Utah and maybe look at some schools in Oregon/Washington. Any info on these schools? Like them, hate them?

And how can I get some pharmacy experience? I shadowed a couple of pharms over spring break back in Wyoming, but I have been unsuccessful at finding a pharm tech job. I would even volunteer, especially if I really need that experience to give me the extra edge. I am just not sure how I would find that kind of opportunity.
 
Looks like you've got it all locked down except the "experience" part. Well, your shadowing can certainly count as that, but for a long-term solution, look at places like hospitals who almost always need fresh faces for volunteers. You might not start at a pharmacy, but you can get your foot in the door and over time, sniff out a pharmacy spot perhaps. And, at any rate, it still looks good.

But likely, your GPA and I imagine PCAT will be so superb that it won't much matter.
 
Hello all,

After some soul searching and pharm shadowing I recently decided that I want to apply for pharmacy school this coming fall (so I can enter Fall 2011). So crunch-time--what do I need to do?

I have signed up for October PCAT and will have all the requirements needed to apply done by December (uncluding a summer of O.Chem--ouch). My cum. GPA right now is 3.9.

I am a student at Boise State University, but I am not a resident of Idaho, but Wyoming. So naturally I plan on applying to UWyo, but I am hoping that I could get into Idaho State-Meridian. I also intend on applying to University of Utah and maybe look at some schools in Oregon/Washington. Any info on these schools? Like them, hate them?

And how can I get some pharmacy experience? I shadowed a couple of pharms over spring break back in Wyoming, but I have been unsuccessful at finding a pharm tech job. I would even volunteer, especially if I really need that experience to give me the extra edge. I am just not sure how I would find that kind of opportunity.

Your GPA is really good....just prepare for PCAT and nail it. Also most schools highly recommend pharmacy experience, but u can also do some volunteer work or community service along with gaining pharmacy experience to present yourself as a highly competitive candidate. Good Luck👍👍