Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retake?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

PuzzleHeadedKiwi101

Reaction score
mcat 509

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
HELP ME PLEASE I AM SCREWED 😭

HELP ME PLEASE I AM PANICKING

Here’s my story, I’m a retaker, I took the test in august scored 505 129/124/125/127 but I exhausted ALL aamc material and next step 1-4

I’m in a program and is requiring me a min 125 in each section and I missed it in CARS but I got above their TOTAL minimum score

I’m planning on retaking on January 15th, I bought ATL 1-10 and did the skip cars approach and been averaged 128 C/P 127 Bio and 127.5 P/S

I decided to go crazy this weekend and buy and compete NS 5 and 6

Scored 505 on both... 123 in cars on test 5 and 126 on test 6, yeah I’m gonna shoot myself lol bc this is the whole reason why I want to retake

Should I go or not, if I drop my score how bad are my chances in getting into medical school

also can I event get to a DO school with my current mcat that I currently have and a high GPA +3.8 with decent extracurriculars and Im not an URM
So is your main question should you retake a 505? I'm not an expert, but it does seem like a 505 and 3.85 would make you competitive at most DO schools and possibly your MD state school (depends on where you are from/ mission fit), and maybe a couple other MD schools but idk. I would NOT retake it unless you score much higher than a 505 on a retake because that would show poor judgment skills. If you absolutely cannot raise your CARS, then just switch focus to building up your ECs to make yourself more competitive.

and maybe make a post on WAMC so you could get a school rec list in case they don't see this post, I know @Goro and other adcoms would give much better advice

tldr; don't retake

Reactions: 2 users
Don't retake, two 505's is a lot worse than one 505.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So is your main question should you retake a 505? I'm not an expert, but it does seem like a 505 and 3.85 would make you competitive at most DO schools and possibly your MD state school (depends on where you are from/ mission fit), and maybe a couple other MD schools but idk. I would NOT retake it unless you score much higher than a 505 on a retake because that would show poor judgment skills. If you absolutely cannot raise your CARS, then just switch focus to building up your ECs to make yourself more competitive.

and maybe make a post on WAMC so you could get a school rec list in case they don't see this post, I know @Goro and other adcoms would give much better advice

tldr; don't retake
I am super new to this website. What is WAMC and how can I post there? Also, how could I reach out to @Goro, I would love to get more advice because I am really stuck. I really appreciate you responding though and I agree with you.

tldr; don't retake
You are misunderstanding the question! Your advice is spot on in general, but OP NEEDS a 125 in CARS to meet a program requirement, probably either a BS/MD or SMP, so OP needs to retake. The rest of your advice is solid, especially regarding a 505 being good enough for DO. Sure, in general, you don't retake unless you have reason to believe you will show significant improvement, but this is an exception if OP needs 2 points in CARS.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I am super new to this website. What is WAMC and how can I post there? Also, how could I reach out to @Goro, I would love to get more advice because I am really stuck. I really appreciate you responding though and I agree with you.
You are totally not screwed in any event, so please take a deep breath! :cool:

If you give us more specific information (without revealing any identifying information), such as what type of program you are referring to, what your objectives are, what you have been doing to improve in CARS, etc., then we can all offer more tailored advice for your situation.

Reactions: 1 user
You are misunderstanding the question! Your advice is spot on in general, but OP NEEDS a 125 in CARS to meet a program requirement, probably either a BS/MD or SMP, so OP needs to retake. The rest of your advice is solid, especially regarding a 505 being good enough for DO. Sure, in general, you don't retake unless you have reason to believe you will show significant improvement, but this is an exception if OP needs 2 points in CARS.
ohhhh thank you!! I had thought they meant a test prep program for some reason, thank you for having better critical reading skills than me haha

• Haha
You are totally not screwed in any event, so please take a deep breath! :cool:

If you give us more specific information (without revealing any identifying information), such as what type of program you are referring to, what your objectives are, what you have been doing to improve in CARS, etc., then we can all offer more tailored advice for your situation.
It's a BS/DO program. I really just want to go to a DO school, I am all for the MMP and I really live by their perspective in medicine. My father was a physical therapist so I was low-key getting raised up with the idea of the "whole body" approach.

I consider myself a pretty hard worker. I did over 25 practice tests, I finished KA CARS, and exhausted the heck out of Jack Westin. I know my content inside and out really well for BB, PS, and CP...enough to at least score a 129+ IMO.

Here’s my story, I’m a retaker, I took the test in august scored 505 129/124/125/127 but I exhausted ALL aamc material and next step 1-4

I’m in a program and is requiring me a min 125 in each section and I missed it in CARS but I got above their TOTAL minimum score

I’m planning on retaking on January 15th, I bought ATL 1-10 and did the skip cars approach and been averaged 128 C/P 127 Bio and 127.5 P/S

Scored 505 on both... 123 in cars on test 5 and 126 on test 6.

Should I go or not, if I drop my score how bad are my chances in getting into medical school

also can I event get to a DO school with my current mcat that I currently have and a high GPA +3.8 with decent extracurriculars and Im not an URM
Yes, you can get into DO schools

It's a BS/DO program. I really just want to go to a DO school, I am all for the MMP and I really live by their perspective in medicine. My father was a physical therapist so I was low-key getting raised up with the idea of the "whole body" approach.

I consider myself a pretty hard worker. I did over 25 practice tests, I finished KA CARS, and exhausted the heck out of Jack Westin. I know my content inside and out really well for BB, PS, and CP...enough to at least score a 129+ IMO.
In that case, you have no choice but to retake. The good news is that you are competitive with the score you have now, but picking up the 2 points will take away all the stress of having to go through a cycle, and is totally within reach. It sounds like you have done everything anyone would advise, so I don't think there will be a lot anyone can tell you to improve your prep. Hopefully, you have not neglected the other sections! Good luck!!!

I would not be panicked by the 505 for NS 5 and keep studying as your scores will jump when you start AAMC material. I got a max of 503 on the 4 NS exams I took and never scored below a 510 on AAMC material.

I would not be panicked by the 505 for NS 5 and keep studying as your scores will jump when you start AAMC material. I got a max of 503 on the 4 NS exams I took and never scored below a 510 on AAMC material.
Did you ever take the real mcat?

Scored 505 on both... 123 in cars on test 5 and 126 on test 6.

You can get into DO with your current score.

Do NOT retake the MCAT until you are confident of success and are scoring well on practice. Check out SDN's MCAT forum if you haven't done so already.