Help me make a decision...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dph321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 22 year old college student at the University of Oklahoma majoring in microbiology with plans to go to dental school and become a dentist which is what I have always wanted to do. I am married with 3 kids. A newborn and a 4 and 5 yr old. We are kinda struggling financially and I recently got a job offer to go work for a geologist in the oilfield, a job I have done before called mudlogging. I would make about 220-250 a day with a 401k and full benefits for me and my family. I would have to spend a considerable time away from my family to work the job because I basically have to live at the rig for periods of 2 weeks or more at a time with about 10 days off inbetween. I dont really know what to do because my dream is to become a dentist and I love being in school and learning. I have a 3.9 GPA so I am doing well with my studies and I think I would be a very good candidate for dental school. So what do you think? Should I take the job and be financially sound or stay in school and follow my dream? My wife supports me either way I go. My family helps me out financially so I could make it through school just fine and have my family taken care of until im done. I also got approved through a local church for housing assistance so we will be able to get a nice house while I am in school and I wont have to worry about rent which will take a lot of burden off of us. I hate getting help from all these sources but I think the ends justify the means. Please tell me what you think I should do. Good job with all the perks that most people would kill to have or stay in school and follow my dream?

Members don't see this ad.

That's easy. Follow your dream. You may be having financial difficulties now (most of us do at some point, especially us married students) but help is there (in the form of scholarships/student loans/military dentistry etc). It's not like your dream is something that will be a permanent financial burden; becoming a dentist is costly, but in the long run is very lucrative. Don't let the finances scare you away from what you truly want to do, that stuff will take care of itself.

I don't really see the appeal of that type of job anyway, hardly a job most people would kill for. As a general dentist, you will be making 3 to 4 times that salary and won't have to spend a day away from your family. In this case, the 4 year investment of dental school far outweighs the 55k salary you will make mudlogging.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's easy. Follow your dream. You may be having financial difficulties now (most of us do at some point, especially us married students) but help is there (in the form of scholarships/student loans/military dentistry etc). It's not like your dream is something that will be a permanent financial burden; becoming a dentist is costly, but in the long run is very lucrative. Don't let the finances scare you away from what you truly want to do, that stuff will take care of itself.

Gotta follow SuperTank on this one...You HAVE to follow your dreams man, Im 23 and have two kids and struggle everyday...Two jobs, rent, daycare, but you have to do what you have to do and become what you dream to become. I couldnt imagine working a dead end job because it has decent pay, FORGET THAT CRAP:smuggrin:!!! On a serious note though, go to dental school you have the grades and passion; thats all you need man...Also, getting student loans will help you financially so at the end of the day....GO TO FREAKIN DENTAL SCHOOL:claps:

Why don't you do the Geologist job while you apply?