Help me narrow down my list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hashtagpredental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a rising senior applying this summer. If anyone could help me narrow down my list of schools please! I would appreciate your help. Location is not really a problem for me. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take out Loma Linda, Stony Brook, and Touro

Too much depends on your DAT score to narrow that list down in any meaningful way. How late are you taking it in July?

Members don't see this ad :)
Too much depends on your DAT score to narrow that list down in any meaningful way. How late are you taking it in July?

Hey Feralis! I'll be taking it July 10. Should I wait until after I get my scores to narrow down my list or is there any real benefit to sending my application before I complete the DAT?

Take out Loma Linda, Stony Brook, and Touro

Hey! Thanks for your input. Could you explain why I should remove Loma Linda? It seems like it's one of the OOS friendly schools in Cali and thought I might have a shot (Of course, this is assuming my DAT goes well!)

Hey Feralis! I'll be taking it July 10. Should I wait until after I get my scores to narrow down my list or is there any real benefit to sending my application before I complete the DAT?

It's fine to send it before taking the DAT so your application is complete as soon as your scores get in, but it's really hard to decide which schools to include or remove without the score. If you're willing to spend the extra money, it's probably best to apply broadly just to be safe.

Reactions: 1 user
27 schools?! Even if you get a 19, you really shouldn't have more then 15-17 schools in all honesty.

These are just my suggestions for schools to remove, others may disagree:

Loma Linda (fairly religious school, prefer applicants of a specific denomination)

Buffalo (not OOS friendly)

Touro (brand new school, full accreditation not in place yet, I personally wouldn't apply)

Stony Brook (super OOS friendly and take people with very high stats)

Western (expensive, relatively new school)

AT Still University in Arizona (no specific reason other than the distance and price. I know you said location isn't a factor, but the price for transportation is)

Creighton (pretty sure they give OOS preference to those who live in the surrounding states)

The ones I listed above are the ones that jumped out at me as bad choices to apply to. If I was you, I would also remove NYU and Tufts (price and humungous class size which I'm not a fan of), but they also would be "easier" to get interviews at (no dental school is easy to get into)

If your DAT isn't a 22 AA or above, and you aren't an underrepresented minority, id also take off Columbia and Penn (expensive and would be reaches).

Hey! Thanks for your input. Could you explain why I should remove Loma Linda? It seems like it's one of the OOS friendly schools in Cali and thought I might have a shot (Of course, this is assuming my DAT goes well!)

Read what blablabla1 said. If that's you go for it. If not, don't waste your time...especially if you're not a Cali resident