SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Help me narrow down my list

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by doeordie, Jun 19, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. doeordie

doeordie

Dec 18, 2016
    Stats:

1) 24 DAT AA, 19 P, 25 QR, 25 RC, 22 Bio, 22 GC, 24 OC, 23 TS.

2) 3.8 oGPA, ~3.6 sGPA

State of residence: Florida

Requirement for dental school: as far as possible from Florida and OOS friendly. Why? I need to get away from my parents before I go insane.

So far I have:

1) University of New England
    2) University of Pittsburgh
    3) AZ school of Dentistry
    4) Roseman
    5) Western
    6) U of Kentucky
    7) U of Penn
    8) Harvard
    9) Meharry
    10) Columbia
    11) Midwestern-AZ
    12) Midwestern-IL
    13) U of Louisville
    14) Case Western
    15) Detroit Mercy
    16) USC
    17) Criegton
    18) Touro

Are there any schools I should cut or add to this list? Honestly I just want to get in somewhere and I'm willing to cut out all the Ivies because I a) could care less about the name of the school I graduate from and b) could do without a culture that's obsessed with grades.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. maga1994

maga1994

Aug 6, 2016
    I'd keep Pitt, Penn, Columbia, Louisville, UDM, Case Western, and Creighton. I'd consider adding Temple, Michigan, Maryland, UConn, Marquette, and maybe the TX schools. I know you want to get far from your parents, but UF is such a good school and so extremely affordable compared to other dental schools that you really can't leave it out. If you go to UF, you could still minimize contact with your folks.

I-hate-alginate likes this.
  4. doeordie

doeordie

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes I agree it's extremely affordable, but I'm valuing my mental health over the difference in tuition at this point.

I-hate-alginate likes this.
  5. maga1994

maga1994

Aug 6, 2016
    Yikes

Jaa_, fit2 and I-hate-alginate like this.
  6. eldmd_32

eldmd_32 2+ Year Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Staying on the theme of getting far away from FL: take off the schools in Kentucky and Tennessee lol. You have really decent stats so I think getting in somewhere that's not close by will not be a problem for you...granted the rest of your app is solid

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  7. doeordie

doeordie

Dec 18, 2016
    Are those OOS unfriendly? I looked at the ADEA book and the raw stats seems OK to favorable to OOS.

8. eldmd_32

eldmd_32 2+ Year Member

Nov 23, 2013
    If your goal is to maximize the number of schools you gain acceptances to then leave those schools on your list. Like I said though, with your stats I wouldn't think you'd need to worry about applying to so many schools. Never hurts though. I applied to quite a number last year. Easily could've saved a grand in app/secondary fees, but I don't regret spending the money. Back to the point, it's up to you in the end.

9. gata45

gata45

Mar 17, 2016
    Meharry historically accepts mostly African Americans and URM's, so I would consider removing it if you are not one of those.

doeordie likes this.
  10. lillondon24

lillondon24

May 25, 2017
    Definitely consider adding VCU to your list.

doeordie and blablabla1 like this.
  11. Illumident

Illumident SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Jan 26, 2016
    Lol, dental school and mental health are oxymorons.

Being in more debt than necessary (+growing interest on that greater debt) would realistically prevent you from enjoying your life after dental school, when you have many, many more bills to address.

There are more significant considerations as an adult in life than allowing your parents to get under your skin.

maga1994 likes this.
  12. FeralisExtremum

FeralisExtremum SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

May 17, 2008
    I also selected dental schools based on what SDN posters were there, so I completely get your drift - it's a very normal thing to do.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    tertbuo likes this.
  13. princessdentist

princessdentist

Jan 22, 2017
    You have great stats, you should apply to UCLA, UCSF, and UOP.

fit2 likes this.
  14. redhotchiligochu

redhotchiligochu Dental Student

Jul 11, 2016
    USA
    LOL

UMN is a good choice, they try to admit approximately 50% OOS. One caveat: if you're OOS, you'll have to pay OOS tuition for all 4 years, but it's still cheaper than NYU and USC