elleE23

2+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2015
Hi everyone!

I submitted all of my applications for Bryn Mawr, Hopkins, Goucher, and Columbia this week. I am eagerly waiting for Temple's application to open, but the page is outdated, and references last year's application. I can't apply to Tufts until January, which is a bummer! I'm ready now!

I applied early, because my grades are on the lower end. I was a non science major.
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.7
ACT: 27
High School GPA:3.7

I'm currently clinical volunteering 10 hours a week, on top of a full time job, at a hospital. I'm a non traditional applicant, and I feel that I had pretty powerful and compelling essays, however that doesn't make up for my grades. My letters of recommendation should be strong as well. My extracurricular activities in college were very unique, and demanding, however I understand that it still doesn't make up for my grades... Only sets me apart from other applicants.

Do you think at the very least I will get an interview at any of the six schools I applied (or will apply) to? (Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Hopkins, Columbia, Temple, Tufts).. Or do I need to apply to more, less competitive, schools?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

3rdgenerationMD

2+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
You have a chance. People on SDN are hardos, don't get discouraged. I think tufts will give you a shot as well as temple. The others ...well you know. They are looking for the ex-rocket scientist who graduated from MIT with a 4.0 and quit his job at NASA to move to Zimbabwe to fight HIV and AIDs, during which he had an epiphany as he was defecating in the forest and realized he wanted to go to med school. They like these types of people because there’s little risk of hurting their precious matriculation rate. That being said you never know and you don't need to get into one of these top programs to succeed. Whoever provides you the opportunity to join their post- bac program will be happy they did, I promise you will be fine. :) Good Luck.

OP
E

elleE23

2+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2015
Thank you for the response!! I actually got ripped to shreds on the premed reddit..... I would be elated if Temple or Tufts accepted me. I know the others are hard to get in to, but I at least had to try!

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

3rdgenerationMD

2+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
No problem, I took a second look at the list I didn't see it the first time around, but I would say you are competitive for Columbia as well. Let me know if you hear anything...I'm rooting for you!